Responsability

1 you turn up for work and your tax is out of date 2 Your trailers mot /plate cert is out of date do you drive either ?

No.

Me personally, I wouldn’t. Are your company just telling you to take it out anyway??

Depends on what type of firm you work for and your relationship with them.

A family run haulage business who rewards you with good wages and gets you home most Fridays and looks after you then yes… As long as its a one off.

If its a firm who bang on about health and safety and treat you as just a number and make your job difficult and dragged out because of their code of conduct then no.

what imm looking for is a definitive legal answer

A trailer without an MOT will get you points on your licence if you get caught, and will get the company into trouble with VOSA. Simply not worth it. A vehicle with no road tax can be seized on the spot.

bjd:
‘… tax is out of date … trailers mot /plate cert is out of date…’

How far out of date?

If it’s only days and less than two weeks & detailing those observations on the running sheet is my immediate thought :confused:

my thoughts where the trailer deff no unit yes but make a note i no with a car u have a little grace

FarnboroughBoy11:
Depends on what type of firm you work for and your relationship with them.

A family run haulage business who rewards you with good wages and gets you home most Fridays and looks after you then yes… As long as its a one off.

If its a firm who bang on about health and safety and treat you as just a number and make your job difficult and dragged out because of their code of conduct then no.

^^^^^^^This

bjd:
my thoughts where the trailer deff no unit yes but make a note i no with a car u have a little grace

You don’t have any grace with a car.Urban myth. The police take the line with vehicles with no tax,that they probably won’t have insurance either.

It comes down to this, if you get caught breaking the law, the points go on your licence, and you pay any fines. Any points on your licence means you run the risk of increased car insurance premiums, and possibility of a court appearance with costs.

I can’t believe that a Professional driver needs to be asking these questions. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

If the relationship between you and this firm who’ve, let’s say, “dropped the ball for the day” is good enough, then it will survive you sticking by your guns for one day, and refusing to drive a vehicle which carries the liability of you losing your clean licence. If they like you, that alone should be enough for them to reluctantly drop any pushing to get you to drive said vehcile/trailer.

If you do this in your own car, and VOSA realise you are a professional driver, then any sympathy disappears… Don’t even go there.
Same applies to anyone breathylized, turning out to be just below the limit, but then they realise you’re a C+E driver… They’ll find something, anything to get you on. Thus, it’s wise to “not drink at all” when driving, rather than have “one for the road” as some do.

bjd:
1 you turn up for work and your tax is out of date 2 Your trailers mot /plate cert is out of date do you drive either ?

Absolutely not. No ifs or buts. It’s their responsibility to keep on top of such things and if both the unit and trailer are out of date this shows a pattern of neglect.

How far out are they, not that it matters much when VOSA officers with ££££ signs in their eyes pull you over.

roughyed:

bjd:

You don’t have any grace with a car.Urban myth. The police take the line with vehicles with no tax,that they probably won’t have insurance either.

It comes down to this, if you get caught breaking the law, the points go on your licence, and you pay any fines. Any points on your licence means you run the risk of increased car insurance premiums, and possibility of a court appearance with costs.

I can’t believe that a Professional driver needs to be asking these questions. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I’m not being picky, but just as an aside, if you by your tax online, and provided you purchase it before the last one expires, then you are allowed to drive that vehicle without displaying and you wont/cant be done for failure to display, and your vehicle will show as taxed on the police computer, but print the receipt just as a safe guard :wink: .

I agree with all off what you said. Plus in this present climate, I would wonder if my wages were at risk at the end off the week, if they cant organise/afford to keep it legal. if you pointed it out and theyve said “drive”, instead off “oh s***t how did that happen, and you cant take that” then be a bit careful, but on your head be it if you go on the road(and it will be) :open_mouth: .

MOT offences are non-endorsable and if the vehicle has been taxed online you do get 5 days to display.