Red (or emergency) airline break

Has anyone ever been following another truck when the red air line has broke on the truck in front? would imagine it would be pretty scary all the trailer wheels suddenly locking up directly in front of you.

I saw summat a couple of years ago, I was sat at Woodall n/b just by the pumps, when a flat lost a piece of sheet metal, all was well till a 4x4 with trailer ran over it and it lifted, the artic behind caught it flat against the screen before it slid down and mangled up underneath taking bits of truck with it, I guess it damaged the trailer brakes cos they all locked at once (not the unit), that was very scary ■■■■ and I was sat a hundred yards away.

marsden:
Has anyone ever been following another truck when the red air line has broke on the truck in front? would imagine it would be pretty scary all the trailer wheels suddenly locking up directly in front of you.

Unusual for the emergency line to snap while you are travelling in a straight line. It normally happens while you are screwing round in a yard or at a junction

I had one break years ago on the M62 near Normanton, Yorks, it was before speed limiters and I was in a Volvo F7 doing about 65 mph, my wheels picked up some debris from the road and it cut clean through all the air lines, I was in the middle lane passing a car, luckily the driver of the car saw what was going on nd hit the brakes, flashing his lights for me to pull over then he passed me safely. My trailer was empty and I stopped in about 200 feet.
In 2002 I was driving an old Frieghtliner FLD pulling an empty whe a valve failed behind the trailer air control valve and my trailer brakes came on instantly, I was doing about 80 mph and 3 lanes from the shoulder, I made the shoulder in a cloud of smoke.

Pat Hasler:
I had one break years ago on the M62 near Normanton, Yorks, it was before speed limiters and I was in a Volvo F7 doing about 65 mph, my wheels picked up some debris from the road and it cut clean through all the air lines, I was in the middle lane passing a car, luckily the driver of the car saw what was going on nd hit the brakes, flashing his lights for me to pull over then he passed me safely. My trailer was empty and I stopped in about 200 feet.
In 2002 I was driving an old Frieghtliner FLD pulling an empty whe a valve failed behind the trailer air control valve and my trailer brakes came on instantly, I was doing about 80 mph and 3 lanes from the shoulder, I made the shoulder in a cloud of smoke.

Aye it must have happened, at least we had the advantage of turning off the air taps and draining the trailer tank if we were unloaded or running light :laughing:

Had some debris cut through an airline under the trailer one day, I managed to get on the hard shoulder before they all locked up. Had to replace 2 tyres on one axle as they had flat spots.
On our trailers we have brake interlock switches on the control panel (tanker) and one of my workmates had one of them come loose and fall off on the A303 as he was going along. He stopped pretty quick as all brakes on the trailer come on at once. The guy following only just missed the back of him and nearly wound up in the centre reservation.

Wheel Nut:

Pat Hasler:

Aye it must have happened, at least we had the advantage of turning off the air taps and draining the trailer tank if we were unloaded or running light :laughing:

Just wondered as you can often see 6 black lines heading off towards the hard shoulder, presumed it was the red line that snapped but saying that I had a valve go on a drawbar trailer so drained the air out to get it home.
Yes the good old days of no spring breaks, backing under a trailer that had lost its air and pushing it backwards.

Going down the somoseira to Madrid loaded coupling or valve bust. At 95k to a stop in seconds and brown trouser moment lol. Had to get 6 new tyres next day.

yes a few years back i was following an artic up the a38 near Burton,no break lights or anything just tyre smoke.I had nowhere to go has there was a car next to me.Ime glad i wasnt closer loaded because it could have been nasty.I think that was some valve problem,ive only ever known a red airline go spinning round in places.