Rear tail swing

Just spec’ed a new Andover low loader trailer with rear lift axle. When lifted it will have 11 feet of tail swing if my calculations are correct, not a problem in a tight a spot as axle can be raised and lowered from the cab, it also steers.
Does anyone operate a trailer with a longer tail swing and how do you get on with it? some center axle drawbar outfits look pretty long and I’ve seen semi low loaders carrying coils of pipe which have quite a tail swing.
I still have the option to alter the bogie position if 11 feet is a bit extreme.

I’ve a 14’ tail swing on my rigid with tag axle up and it’s just something to live with. I’d not think that it would be much greater than a triaxle trailer with a rear lift? I think I’d prefer the shorter wheelbase for better manoeuvrability when reversing, our Nooteboom trailer has a steerable rear lift, pulling it forwards it tracks a treat but you have to lock the steering off to reverse it and it’s much more awkward as the axles are right at the back of the trailer. Reversing it with the lift axle up and it’s much better.

Do Andovers have any thoughts? They are pretty spot on with getting vehicles right, I’ve never had a bad plant body from them.

Andover will pretty much build what you want as long as it’s legal. The bogie is being moved forward by 435mm compared to the old trailer. Wanted hydraulic rear steer for reversing but weight and cost was a factor. Fold forward ramps are also on the list to save fuel. Places I’m asked to deliver you need all every aid possible to get in, country lanes, golf courses etc, etc. hopefully this trailer will tick most of the boxes.

I used to pull a twin axle 45ft curtain with a 13 ft tail swing. It looked scary but was actually a nice trailer after an hour or so. I was amazed where it would fit in, was delivering seed to farms so some nasty tight spots. The only thing I found was that at the start,with a bit of weight up the front at the end of my drops it was inclined to turn around the front axle which meant a 17 ft swing which was dodgy. I sorted it by loading differently so could keep the load even as the drops came off. Don’t think you’ll have any problems though. Rear lift is definitely the way to go for a low loader

Fold forward ramps are a real good idea, I reckon they save 1mpg at least especially on empty running.
We used to have an Andover low loader and I always found it good to pull, rear lift with big tail swing which you got used to as I recall.
Jim

I had a plant body with fold flats ages ago, was really useful for carrying other odd stuff. Since then I’ve had to manage with the standard beavertail & airbrake / ramp combo which is quick and easy for plant but less convenient for materials and containers.

When I got my current truck it was only a year and a half old, I tried to persuade them to send it back to Andover and get the ramps altered to fold flat. I reckoned that after a couple of years it’d be paying for itself. Here we are two years + on and I’ve still got the same setup. :unamused: