R.I.P

There are too many RIP’s on this forum. We all drive trucks. We all know what to do and what not to do.

IF we all left a bit bigger gap, then POSSIBLY, we might cut down on this type of thread.

I am now going to duck

Stay safe Lads and Lasses

yep - i always try and leave a good size gap, this usually ends up with me cursing some other road user for filling it! :imp:

You’re wasting your time here Swede. I reckon on the road 95% of truckers drive too close up my arse then creep by half a mile an hour faster then almost immediately cut in giving me a perfect view of their back doors. The other 5% are members here of course… :unamused:

Why? Are all the fatalities caused by trucks driving to close to each other then?

I’ve had enough dumbass arguments with other people about stopping trucks overtaking at all, limiting speeds to silly low levels and restricting truck movements during daylight etc etc.
Don’t make me start having them with what I think of as fellow professional drivers!

I appreciate that traffic levels have increased dramatically since the introduction of speed limiters, but I’m sure that before they were imposed there were far less of this type of accident.

Or maybe the information is more accessible now and I’m just looking through rose tinted spectacles.

I do know however pre limiter if someone overtook you they disappeared off into the sunset pronto instead of creeping away slowly, and vice versa you did the same when you overtook somebody. Plus, you weren’t afraid to move out to let a car enter the carriageway because you had the speed available to floor it, pass him and then drop back down again.

Progress? Hmmmm, the jury is out.

Seems to be more training, checks and safety related exercises these days yet more and more fatalities. I think a CPC for all road users wouldn’t go amiss, however I have noticed lately that there seem to be a lot of trucks only in the accidents. I dare say tiredness is more involved on the roads these days. I still think sitting for 2 to 3 hours in an RDC waiting room when drivers used to have an hours kip to break up the 13/15 hour days has a part to play in that tiredness.

Kerbdog:
however I have noticed lately that there seem to be a lot of trucks only in the accidents.

I’m sorry, but that’s nonsense. If you look at a picture of an RTA and there’s a truck involved, you will notice said truck because it’s bigger than the other vehicles involved. I’d love to see actual statistics regarding accidents with or without trucks.

SWEDISH BLUE:
There are too many RIP’s on this forum. We all drive trucks. We all know what to do and what not to do.

IF we all left a bit bigger gap, then POSSIBLY, we might cut down on this type of thread.

I am now going to duck

Stay safe Lads and Lasses

Well said Swedish Blue and how very true indeed.I also agree that before speed limiters there were a lot less lorries travelling so close to each other but I fail to understand why people use them as an argument for not keeping a safe distance.There is no excuse.It is downright dangerous and can result in horrendous accidents which unfortunately sometime involve innocent people.
It needs more than all drivers doing a CPC.We all perceive things differently and I can tell you from experience some of the offenders think they are driving safely.

Born Idle:

Kerbdog:
however I have noticed lately that there seem to be a lot of trucks only in the accidents.

I’m sorry, but that’s nonsense. If you look at a picture of an RTA and there’s a truck involved, you will notice said truck because it’s bigger than the other vehicles involved. I’d love to see actual statistics regarding accidents with or without trucks.

Considering we are meant to be professional drivers we are involved in far too many accidents.

Kerbdog:
I still think sitting for 2 to 3 hours in an RDC waiting room when drivers used to have an hours kip to break up the 13/15 hour days has a part to play in that tiredness.

totally agree with this, health and safety working against itself.

albion1971:

Born Idle:

Kerbdog:

Considering we are meant to be professional drivers we are involved in far too many accidents.

Facts please? Do tell us the percentage of accidents involving trucks, and then tell us what percentage of that percentage are proved to be caused by trucks?
I’ve been driving commercially for nearly 30 years, and I’ve been involved in all sorts of incidents, accidents and other stuff too. I know I’ve caused 2 accidents, but I’ve been “involved” in dozens…■■■■ happens!

And how many fatal accidents occur where we never find out the cause.The company might if they are likely to face charges,the family might indeed they are entitled to know why but
I want all acidents investigated and a report made public in our trade press and I want a couple of senior,experienced drivers involved in any investigation.Not all accidents are the drivers
fault,a multitude of different reasons might exist and I want to know what they are,soonest.We should not be speculating the cause of an accident we should know that we will
eventually be informed what the reason was.Then we can all learn by mistakes which may have been made by the driver,other road users and the manufacturers and I don’t trust
them as far as I could throw them.6 people were killed in 5 seperate accidents involving the Sprinter van,the Coroner condemned Mercedes Benz,I condemned the vehicle inspectorate
if they had carried out a thorough investigation after the first the other 4 might not have happened.Now ‘why’ do you think the VI didn’t do their job properly.And yes,we will be R.I.Ping
tomorrow or the next day,next week,it’s a regualr occurence…it shouldn’t be.

sixaxles:

Kerbdog:
I still think sitting for 2 to 3 hours in an RDC waiting room when drivers used to have an hours kip to break up the 13/15 hour days has a part to play in that tiredness.

totally agree with this, health and safety working against itself.

Add me to that concensus of opinion.

Another cause i think, as an agency driver, is arriving at a depot at the start of your shift, being told that your load isn’t ready and having to wait in the drivers area, often uncomfortable seating and just a coffee machine, anything up to 3 hours before you get your loaded truck, to then find you’ve got a rather long day ahead of you.

Cutting corners and burning the candle at both ends costs lives.

There is a positive correlation between ‘being salaried’ and accidents because the driver is fighting the clock (job and knock - cut corners to get ahead!) and the firm is always trying to get you finishing between 12 & 15 hours at every opportunity. These increase tiredness & tension, and reduce reaction times accordingly.

I agree strongly that being made to sit in a waiting room whilst on POA instead of getting your head down for 2-3 hours in the small hours also leads to a lot of trucking accidents - it all boils down to tiredness.

Personally, I’ve never been keen on palletwork because I always get the last “dregs” run that’s last to get tipped, leaving no time for a proper break before your slot for re-load comes up, and you’re expected to vacate straight away, not stopping anywhere on the way back, 'cos you’ll run over 15 hours otherwise. :frowning:

I reckon you’d have to go to a casualty department and find a doctor asleep in a side room somewhere to find anyone else who’s working stupid hours for too-little pay. As with someone handling 38 tonne of vehicle when “fatigued-out”, a doctor half asleep can do a lot of harm in their world too. :open_mouth:

At least on hourly rate, you’ll get paid when the firm has you doing a 15 hour shift. :unamused: