Question - 44t MGW limit - A50, Doveridge bypass

Hello,

New here!

I was a moron the other day and went on the A50 eastbound over the Doveridge Bypass, which has a temporary 44t MGW sign.

I was in an Artic which has a MAM of 44t. My thinking was I was way under that weight so it’s fine, there were also other trucks the same size going through. Obviously later I’ve done some research and released it’s done on the Plate weight, not the actual weight. Stupid mistake that I won’t make again.

My question is, does anyone know if there are any enforcement cameras on that route? And how much trouble will I be in if it comes back to bite me?

Also worried the company I work for may get rid of me if they find out so I guess I’m looking for some reassurance!

Thanks in advance!

Your MAM is 44t and you went through a temporary MGW 44t can you not see the irony there?

MAM maximum authorised mass.

MGW maximum gross weight.

Both mean the weight of the vehicle and it’s load. The only time people come unstick is whenever they think they are lighter than the weight limit imposed due to what is loaded, so yes a 26 ton rigid empty cannot go through an 18ton weight limit as it’s plated weight it’s 26 ton.

Does not really take a genius to work it out you did nothing wrong.

The temp weight restriction applies to trucks like stgo that are heavier than 44ton.

The A50 is an arterial main route from the M6 to the m1.

MAM and MGW both mean the same thing.

Ohhh so as long as I’m 44t or under I’m fine?

I was around 30 I believe.

Sorry I’ve only been driving class 1 for a year and never came across that sign.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes doesn’t matter if you are fully loaded or not. You should never weigh more then 44 ton in total.

Like I said it’s for stgo oversized/overweight loads that temp restriction.

Good stuff! That’s a relief.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :+1:

Unless you drive an stgo load which I assume you don’t?

Ohhh no, it’s just palletised store deliveries.

As does GVW, or GTW if you’re talking about something with a trailer.