Puncture proof truck tyres

Why has anybody not invented it.Trucks that do scrap yards are prone punctures.
Bicycle tyres have a gel inside or a protection lining.With the cost of down time and call out charges plus a new tyre something could be done.

There’s various products that you inject into the tyre available: OKO, Ultraseal etc.

But the big risk is that is the tyre has been really badly damaged they keep the air in it long enough for the tyre structure to fail before the tyre deflates, so instead of the tyre going down, it blows up.

Some cars have runflat tyres, but there’s no way they could support a truck.

Those super single Bridgestone drive tyres had an inner tube which worked like the widget in a can of ‘draught’ Guinness; when the pressure dropped in the (tubeless) tyre, the tube that was wrapped around the inside inflated automatically.

I was having a look through a flyer today and they had some tyre protection gloop that will bung up holes upto 16mm!!

I used to ride high performance motorcycles & one the happiest days of my life was when I joined the 200mph club at Elvington Raceway in the early 90’s. When you’re about to embark on such a monumental occasion, you don’t just check the already meticulously prepared bike over, you do it twice & then get someone who you trust & respect to do it as well.

Tyres, I do not take for granted, even now when I’m semi retired to a sub 100mph, nekkid, sit up & beg UJM. I know an incredible amount about them, but compared to the bloke who gave me my knowledge, I know nothing.

The first thing I learned was you do not take tyres for granted. The second was that any damage to your tyres should be drawn to your attention in a gracefull & gradual manner.

Modern, tubeless, radial tyres rarely blow out unexpectedly. The absolutely last thing you want to do with one is fill it full of ‘gunk’ that (allegedly) masks the gradual deflation of a distressed tyre.

So why don’t we go with non airfilled, yet still having similar properties type tyres ?

That’s where it gets interesting & very complicated but trust me, there is nothing available today that can come close to an air filled, modern, tubeless, radial tyre.

No need to join a gym when you have to change your own tyre in 45 degree heat in Europe.Lost weight doing that.

I rode for Hereford Garrison, sorry its the truth (Ref RDC SAS yarns) anyway we and the “Blades” SAS soldiers competed in enduros, cross country competitions for fun and practice, mobility troops etc.(Paid for by the MOD of course :wink: )

The best bit of kit we come across for not gaining punctures was a thing called a “Mousse” hope thats the right spelling.It was a rubber type material that replaced an air filled inner tube that could be relied upon on operations.A godsend to be honest.

Rooster:
I rode for Hereford Garrison, sorry its the truth (Ref RDC SAS yarns) anyway we and the “Blades” SAS soldiers competed in enduros, cross country competitions for fun and practice, mobility troops etc.(Paid for by the MOD of course :wink: )

The best bit of kit we come across for not gaining punctures was a thing called a “Mousse” hope thats the right spelling.It was a rubber type material that replaced an air filled inner tube that could be relied upon on operations.A godsend to be honest.

F1 could be considered the very top rung of the ladder for sensible engineering choices, yet they still fill their tyres with gas !

Why is that, do you think ?

I,ve given a reply to the OP concerning cross country travel and how the SAS at Hereford overcame the dreaded punture with air-filled inner tubes, with their motor cycles.The “Mousse” was used by the elite enduro teams throughout the world championships.It was and still is a good idea used/copied by HMF.

Rooster:
I,ve given a reply to the OP concerning cross country travel and how the SAS at Hereford overcame the dreaded punture with air-filled inner tubes, with their motor cycles.The “Mousse” was used by the elite enduro teams throughout the world championships.It was and still is a good idea used/copied by HMF.

I find it very strange that the SAS use it, yet no one I know into fast bikes does. Whether they’re enthusiastic amateurs like me, or semi-pro hooligans into road, drag, track, enduro, trials or MX racing.

In fact, it was the top man at Dunlop, the one who travels the world as part of the MotoGP circus that put me off putting anything other than air or nitrogen into a modern, tubeless, radial tyre.

Perhaps it’s still top secret & only HMF are allowed to know of its existence ?

Its no secret, honest, the mousse is just a replacement for an air filled inner tube.It was/has been used by factory riders for several years.

Individuals could create kids level the ought to be exposed to.

This is cool:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … tires.html

Good year do a high load truck tyre which may be better at resisting rough treatment:

goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/truck/

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … tires.html

That was the cool.

Wow! I’m impressed.that’s the sas and the 200 mph club shoe horned in to a topic.

Nice to find so many fellow dirt bikers on here.

The ‘mousse’ (Michelin invention) is designed to give the same feel as a tyre inflated to 10 psi or so. It’s for low-speed off-road motorcycle use only.

I’ve seen a tyre that came off a Paris-Dakar bike where the mousse was welded to the inside of the tyre by heat.

These are not suitable or legal for on-road use, and certainly not for trucks.

All things considered, modern truck tyres are pretty reliable. On-road punctures are rare…how many trucks now carry a spare wheel?

Chas:
F1 could be considered the very top rung of the ladder for sensible engineering choices, yet they still fill their tyres with gas !

Good point Chas. what could possibly go wrong? :smiley: . I’m sure a certain Mr Hamilton will have a different view.

In all seriousness though I agree totally about gel/foam/super secret stuff and wouldn’t dream of putting it into any tyre I was planning on using except maybe on my sit on lawn mower!

I raced an SP1 in endurance and we used nitrogen. Should’ve used helium though 'cos we could’ve sucked it out and perhaps got a laugh out of it instead of 2 expensive years of misery! :imp:

the maoster:

Chas:

Good point Chas. what could possibly go wrong? :smiley: . I’m sure a certain Mr Hamilton will have a different view.

In all seriousness though I agree totally about gel/foam/super secret stuff and wouldn’t dream of putting it into any tyre I was planning on using except maybe on my sit on lawn mower!

I raced an SP1 in endurance and we used nitrogen. Should’ve used helium though 'cos we could’ve sucked it out and perhaps got a laugh out of it instead of 2 expensive years of misery! :imp:

Unfortunately I do not do 200kph or was in the SAS, but I can tell you, I filled one of my sit on lawnmower tyres with some gunk 6 months ago and the tyre is still inflated :open_mouth: