Proffesional or not

there seems to be this thing that hgv drivers want to be recognised as proffesionals as far as i know they never have in the past so why know .i never took my hgv to become a proffesional or be part of the brotherhood of truckers i took cuz i wanted to drive big trucks .the general public as a whole dont give a monkeys about truck drivers and they know aswell as us that there are good and bad drivers. this will not stop if we are recognised as proffesional.as a driver the best you can do is to do your job to the best of your ability with as little fuss as possible caused to anyone else.the general public want stuff on the shelves but they dont wanna know how it gets there the sooner we all accept this the better. you can be a good driver without being called a proffesional

I agree.

Professional, is a term the cops use to whack you with the max fine. IE; “You are a professional so you should know better.” ( & no change from £1000 )

you are right,in some case,but i don’t agree

first at all does Drivers differend Jobs to other.
a proffesssional Longhaul may not know all about dellivering Bricks

shopdelivery driver may not know that much about Petrol carrying

trunkdriver mustn’t know that much about work with Flat trailers

general Haulage is not just differend from Company to Company.it is in fact differend from Customer to Customer.

if you are an AS in that Job may you still need some Time to get a other Job running.

:arrow_right: Secound may we split Proffessional from Experianced driver

To be experianced as longhauldriver,…(see above)

some with better English may explain it more readable :slight_smile:

Lovlyperson:
you are right,in some case,but i don’t agree

first at all does Drivers differend Jobs to other.
a proffesssional Longhaul may not know all about dellivering Bricks

shopdelivery driver may not know that much about Petrol carrying

trunkdriver mustn’t know that much about work with Flat trailers

general Haulage is not just differend from Company to Company.it is in fact differend from Customer to Customer.

if you are an AS in that Job may you still need some Time to get a other Job running.

:arrow_right: Secound may we split Proffessional from Experianced driver

To be experianced as longhauldriver,…(see above)

some with better English may explain it more readable :slight_smile:

Big difference between professional and experienced.

That do it Fred? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Agreed Coffee.

Wasn’t me who said it harry, it was Fred, I was just condensing Fred’s post… :wink: :smiley:

:open_mouth: I just read one of Freds posts and understood it :wink:

knight:
:shock: I just read one of Freds posts and understood it :wink:

The medication must be working. :wink: :smiley:

‘Professional’ to me means simply that you take pride in your chosen ‘Profession’ and do it to the best of your ability. Simple as that

I always thought it was a ■■■■■■■■ term…dash me the cash of a professional…then i’ll accept it

I’ve been guilty of using the expression ‘Professional Driver’ in the past (and probably in the future too) so here’s my £0.02p’s worth on it.

There’s no guarantee that an ‘experienced’ driver is a good driver. Experience of itself can just allow bad habits to replicate. And of course as lovelyperson (aka Fred the 1st?) pointed out, experience of store deliveries doesn’t make you a good trunker. So, how do we describe someone who is not just ‘experienced’ but also has versatility and a willingness to embrace diversity in their workplace?

I’ve used a variety of expressions for this, but the one that is generally understood is ‘professional’. Essentially a professional is one who gets paid for doing what they do.
Would you rather be an amateur trucker? Just get paid expenses?
Get up here and get registered if that’s the case, but I will be looking for you to be competent and versatile.

The Fredism is spreading :open_mouth: Who is the real Fred Shady?

fred im a driver , thats it thats all we are , theres such a stigma with the word driver it implys thats all you can do, eg: oh he,s just a driver.well ive met plenty of drivers over the years with varying backgrounds some were ex teachers ex lawyers ex doctors public school educated folk and you average bloke in the street and when you ask em why they do what they do they say i wanted to be a driver, not a profesional ive asked my friends do you want to be a profesional they all laughed.now these guys are all experianced long distance drivers been alover europe and dont have a problem with being called a driver so why should the rest of us .

Why is it called the professional drivers forum?, if none of you are professional?.

I don’t agree with that, I do see and recognise your point about the general public though. Thats a fair comment, noone but kids look up at us in awe, if that’s enough to get them into the industry it has to be a good thing but I bet their parents don’t say ‘If you study, hard one day you could drive one of them. They are very important people you know’. No, I think not. I think using the word Proffesional is more a way of making people within the industry value our worth. To help us achieve better wages, conditions and terms of employment etc. As far as the Jo Public can see we drive slow, get in the way, take up too much space and leave lay-bys in a stinking rancid mess. The latter is still true as far as some drivers go which is a sad state of affairs. Christ, I started with proffesionalism and now I am bordering on ranting at councils for lack of parking facilities - think I better sign out before I go way off topic!!! :confused:

jammymutt:
Why is it called the professional drivers forum?

We get paid for driving and I guess that is where the term professional comes from, as opposed to doing it unpaid which would make it amateur.

‘Professional’ to me means simply that you take pride in your chosen ‘Profession’ and do it to the best of your ability. Simple as that

I’d go with that … … … …

Proffesional :question: amature :question: just a plain driver :question:

Be what you want,
me I’m a Technician :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Fred:
I’ve been guilty of using the expression ‘Professional Driver’ in the past (and probably in the future too) so here’s my £0.02p’s worth on it.

There’s no guarantee that an ‘experienced’ driver is a good driver. Experience of itself can just allow bad habits to replicate. And of course as lovelyperson (aka Fred the 1st?) pointed out, experience of store deliveries doesn’t make you a good trunker. So, how do we describe someone who is not just ‘experienced’ but also has versatility and a willingness to embrace diversity in their workplace?

I’ve used a variety of expressions for this, but the one that is generally understood is ‘professional’. Essentially a professional is one who gets paid for doing what they do.
Would you rather be an amateur trucker? Just get paid expenses?
Get up here and get registered if that’s the case, but I will be looking for you to be competent and versatile.

if you look by jobcentreplus.gov.uk, fish4job, monster.co.uk
you will find some companies who ask for drivers to give them some donations.there not all proffessionals paid as they have to,if you count the cost of getting a driver.
sah just £6.- for a cleaner and £6.20 for Class1 driver :wink:
but you are right,i know