Pre test nerves

Well my test is tomorrow morning and literally the reality has just set in. Just wondering if folk had any advice to rid of pre test nerves. Ive got chewing gum as that helped on my driving test. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

KALMS - increase dose near actual test time

+1 for kalms good luck.

Boots sell Kalms.Made of dried lettuce which calms the nerves.
It took me 3 tests to pass.Did not see a worn out give way marking.
A malt drink tonight will aid sleep.Horlicks.
No tv tonight,that stimulates the brain.
You will think that you have forgotten what you have learnt.
But do not worry.
The brain is like a computer.It files away information in order to be retrieved later on.
Avoid Caffeine and alcohol and fatty foods.
You may not sleep tonight.Just lay on the bed and relax with the eyes closed.Some classical music on the radio.
Good luck tomorrow.It will be a pass.

Bach’s Rescue Remedy.

And slow, deep breaths - not too close to the examiner, though, or he’ll think you’re a serial killer! :open_mouth:

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

It’s ok to be nervous, you were nervous on your car test but you still passed.

Remember that its not the examiner or the test itself making you nervous but you putting pressure and stress on yourself

If your instructor says you are at the required standard then you are because they have been assessing you for days

With the knowledge that the person who knows your LGV driving says you are ready then go and have some FUN

Having fun with concentration makes the experience enjoyable

Think of all those other car and van drivers out there that you meet during the experience who have never been trained to the standard you have and cannot drive something that big so its your job to look after them all by assessing and acting appropriately

YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT … SO DO IT

A little tip that I was told which gave my mind something to think on and didn’t distract me, was imagine a bucket of water between you and the examiner, try and drive so non of the imaginary water spills onto his lap. It helped Me concentrate a little.

Only natural to be nervous on the day, if you’re still nervous when out on the test then you are not concentrating enough on driving the thing.

Thanks for the replies, its still not sunk in that I’ve got my test tomorrow so in hoping it isn’t going to come to me all at once. Although having had a little change in lifestyle the past fortnight I’m hoping that’s calmed my nerves!

Will see how we get on tomorrow :slight_smile:

Cheers

forget about the test your off out for a drive with a different trainer for an hour , enjoy …

It may seem daft,but it worked for me; pretend there is livestock standing in the trailer or you are driving a coach of Oldies to Bournemouth for the day.
Reverse phsycology you see.! :smiley:

What’s the worst that can happen? You fail, and have to pay for another test.

It isn’t that bad, so try not to worry too much. Deep breathing works, and remember that there are thousands of people out there who passed before you so it can be done.

I started my test with the reversing exercise. My clutch foot was so nervous it went into a shaking spasm - imagine having to do the reverse (all about brake and clutch) with a foot spasm…

And I managed to pass. :slight_smile:

ORC:
What’s the worst that can happen? You fail, and have to pay for another test.

It isn’t that bad, so try not to worry too much. Deep breathing works, and remember that there are thousands of people out there who passed before you so it can be done.

I started my test with the reversing exercise. My clutch foot was so nervous it went into a shaking spasm - imagine having to do the reverse (all about brake and clutch) with a foot spasm…

And I managed to pass. :slight_smile:

Lol my leg was doing exactly the same thing on my reverse you could hear the engine dipping in and out as I was reversing backwards. Got over it thou managed to calm myself down and got thru with a pass.

Good luck tomorrow everybody’s different with how they control the nerves but I bet you 99.9% of people who take the test are nervous so your not alone in feeling worried.

IME those who profess not to be nervous occasionally need a retest. I believe a few nerves, under control, is a healthy situation. It’s unfortunate if you loose control of your bodily functions though!

I have had to stop before a test for the candidate to throw up. And, a couple of hours later, another qualified driver is on the road.

So believe in yourself and you’ll be fine. (If the bucket of water thing fails, try imagining the examiner naked - - it works!).

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
IME those who profess not to be nervous occasionally need a retest. I believe a few nerves, under control, is a healthy situation. It’s unfortunate if you loose control of your bodily functions though!

I have had to stop before a test for the candidate to throw up. And, a couple of hours later, another qualified driver is on the road.

So believe in yourself and you’ll be fine. (If the bucket of water thing fails, try imagining the examiner naked - - it works!).

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

This^^^

Don’t rush. If something occurs, deal with it, but don’t rush. Tell yourself this. It sometimes helps talking to yourself as you go along, mentally addressing the road as it were. It’s often the manner in which you deal with an error that causes the fail, not the actual error. So stick to it whatever happens!

Good luck!

And remember, the examiner had the same issue at some point - and had to sit the same test.

Thank you all for the advice and good words! Its weird with how in feeling at the moment like I’m nervous but I’m as cool as a cucumber at this moment in time and am hoping it doesn’t come to me all at once, both my driving tests i was the same nervous but kept calm but when things went wrong i panic’d a little which I’m hoping doesn’t happen this time as I’m hoping a first time pass, plus that and in hoping to have a driving job soon enough before if not after my birthday in August.

We’ll see anyway, by lunchtime tomorrow i will have the result hopefully a certificate in my hand telling me in a so called lorry driver :laughing: :grimacing:

Cheers

I want that nervous for my CE test ( hard to believe ) yep I passed ( somehow knew I would ) we did meet an obstacle en route but I didnt panic stayed calm dealt with it after speaking to examiner ( as he said pass this as safe as poss had to mount kerb due to another vehicle being across the road doing road works & couldnt reverse back over a duel carriage way )

Try not to panic if meet something as that is also what they are looking for as it may happen when out on road for real

Deep breath you know you want this & have done for so long ( when you 1st joined here all those years back yep I remember :laughing: :laughing: )

Yep you have grown up & are much more positive you know you can do this

I’m surprisingly calm at the moment, the nerves are behaving and am feeling pretty relaxed although the nerves are still felt!

sadly i remember also when i first started…i try not to remember too much of the early days :laughing: how times have changed! :laughing: :laughing:

ah well, fingers crossed. 6 and a bit hours until the result. Stay tuned :smiley: :laughing:

Cheers

P.S Stay out of whetherby and the surrounding areas from around 10 am :laughing: !

Good luck bro. Just keep calm it’s just another lesson