Possibly 20 years since I was posting regularly on here!

Evening all, you’ll all have to forgive me for my avatar. It’s an old Actros mock up and I think it was from 20 years ago or so, as that (AFAIK) is the time when I used to be quite frequent on TNUK.

Long story short I lost all interest in trucks and it has just been a job that I do. It’s good to see some names I remember from the early 2000’s. Can’t see Limeyphil anywhere though (sorry, just joking…already read through the forums).

Anyway the last year or so I seem to have started enjoying it all again, rather than just doing the job. So much so that I was looking to start a youtube channel up, but something different from the vloggers. It’s fairly new but in a few short weeks it’s been doing not too bad. I’ve been on the forum rules Rikki has posted on and I hope I’m all good posting this here. Could you guys give me some opinions on the videos I have put up. The latest one is about the LLCS (London Lorry Control Scheme) and a road sign that is clearly in the wrong place. I’ll link to the video below, but if the admins deem this post inappropriate then my apologies, I’ll probably see you in another 20 years after a ban haha. Thanks for your time. !! I look forward to seeing what you think!

Interesting video.

If I go any further than south than Penrith I’m like a fish out of water, so I wouldn’t have a clue about London. After seeing what you guys are putting up with I’m glad, but also sympathetic to you all.

The editing, graphics, music added in etc all seems very well done. Best of luck with it.

Well quite apart from your main message, which I have much sympathy for, although being too long in the tooth and away from London to have been inconvenienced by this scheme, I have to take issue with your comment about the fellow driver ahead of you because of his keeping to the outside lane on a roundabout.

I realise that we are taught, here in France, to treat roundabouts in just that way as long as we signal our intention to stay on the roundabout by appropriate use of the indicator, and only changing the signal after passing the last, unintended, exit.

Seems a no brainer to me having employed that method all my driving life, and being so pleased on my obligatory refresher course here, to find the French sensible enough to agree with me. :joy:

1 Like

Welcome back and nice to meet you. I’ve watched the first video (the one in the OP) and I can say it’s very well made, nice editing skills, well put together footage and images but I would tone down the sound effects or leave them out completely. Also tweak the sound of your voice a little to make it sound clearer maybe use a better microphone.

Btw I didn’t realize the LLCS applied all day on Sunday

Welcome back mate.
Any vids that could be helpful to drivers are ok by me…not to keen on the ‘driver ego trip’ ones though donr by others.

I never do London these days… I’m pleased to say.
Khan and his crew have made delivering by HGV into London into some kind of ‘challenge game’ with all the restrictions, kin ‘‘zones’’ :roll_eyes:, and absolutely nowhere to park when time runs out aftet negotiating it all.

I actually used to like doing London and overnight parking there in the old days, but if I never went back it would be too soon.
Absolute sh hole, and extremely anti truck.

A classic opportunity for transport firms to get together telling Khan to come and get his own sh instead of us delivering it, unless they start to make it possible for us (or you :smile:) to do the kin job.:roll_eyes:
#neverhappen

I agree with Spardo.Although all my driving is in a car these days between UK and Spain.I have said before that the safest part of the journey,in my opinion,is in France.At roundabouts using indicators is being positive so other drivers know your intentions.I find driving less stressful in France.By far the worst part of the journey is in the UK.Driving standards here are diabolical.

In the 1980s I used to lead fruit from Spain into New Covent Garden market in south london.In those days there was a lorry "control"scheme which ultimately led me to refuse to deliver to the capital at all.Even now the closest i go is the M25 on my way to the ferry at Newhaven.

This one must be the exception then. Not changed since I stood on the top.

So one more thing we agree on then, for years on my regular trips back to Blighty, Dieppe-Newhaven was my favourite.

Where are you based, if in France (and maybe beyond) there is a 20% (I think) deduction for the over 60s, but only if you make the booking by phone. I always used to cross early mornings and splashed the discount on a nice cabin for a good shower and a kip. Never bothered with the grub as I had parked and eaten the night before at one of the 2 routiers in the old docks (where the windfarm blades are unloaded from ships).

Sadly I think both are closed now. They worked in tandem. One was open early mornings 'till after lunch, and the other only for the evening service. :joy:

I always use Newhaven.Small port and sociable personnel including Dieppe.I catch a 18.00 or so sailing,2300 or so from Dieppe and a night shift down to spain.always sleep on board.Not many remember the berth used to be at the other side of the river.Back in the day a ship called the Exxtor used to provide a freight only service to Newhaven from another berth in Dieppe further inland from what was then the Sealink berth.I’m really showing my age now.How many can remember that?

Thought that video was good.

I had a feeling I had heard somewhere that LLC was being policed by a small number of enforcement officers manually but there was a change on the horizon to use number plate recgognition cameras instead. That might be a big change in the number of fines if that has any truth to it.

I think I recall the online map also having some disclaimer on it such that they take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided…!!

Never noticed the fish sculpture on that roundabout. Will look out next time!

Similar to that sign you point out, I think there is also one on Church road going south off the A40 at Target Roundabout, but I think is also shown as permitted route.

First time I used it was many years ago when, travelling in convoy with my younger brother for Cheverall’s of Luton, we transported 4 giant lumps of aluminium from S.Wales to Neuf Brisach.

All I remember is the fact that the rest of the passengers all seemed to be Spanish or Portuguese.

In later years the band of ladies that ran the cafe at Newhaven became great friends and, even after I stopped with the lorries and started delivering dogs instead, I still was given the drivers’ discount. Once one of them came rushing out to catch me just before I went through the barrier, southbound. She was clutching a hot dog ‘for the dog’ and I had to tell her ‘I brought 3 in but my backload is in France’. ‘No matter’ she said, ‘you have it, for the journey’. :grinning:

I remember that relatively few Brits used that ferry.I also remember the ladies at the cafe.Sadly they were replaced several years ago by a drinks machine.I also recall the adjacent railway club where i was a member for a time.Happy memories.

Happy memories indeed, really sad about the ladies though, I didn’t know that.

Spardo, Did you know Brent Morgan? how lived in a caravan at Cheverall yard, finished up at Cawleys.

At first I was going to say no, but then a vague memory (most of them are vague these days :roll_eyes:) came to me of a shortish well muscled bloke with longish hair and beard and moustache. Could that be him? Didn’t know he lived in the yard though.

If I am right, do you have any update on him, or is it you? :smile:

Yes that sound like him, i use to call in from time to time to see him, like you say long time ago, he died some years ago i think he was still working for Cawley at the time.
I may have met you in passing lol as i did not know any others that worked for Ian, i sort of lost touch with Brent as you do lol
Any how all the Best to you, i may know your name by sight lol

I was there about 1970/71 ish I think. My younger brother was working there before me after he moved in with our parents in Wheathamstead in order to try to get into continental work. Ian offered him a job although at the same time saying he was stopping the European work because of problems with permits.

It was John who got me the job there after one came up and they had magically found some permits. I remember the faces of several other drivers but not the names any longer, but Pete Farbrace (who lived near Canterbury) was the TM and a big bloke was some sort of foreman. The latter drove my brother’s wagon all the way to Rome when he was on holiday. He was furious and had a right go at him when he found out saying he should have phoned him as he would have jumped at the chance.

It all came to an end when Ian decided to sell up and held an auction in the yard for all the vehicles and garage equipment. A couple of people from a family firm of loggers in the Cotswolds turned up to buy some tools and ended by bidding successfully for all the wagons too. Their name was C. H. Howse.

So I was redundant, but some months later they decided to start going over the water and they re-hired Farbrace who re-hired me, and off we went again. Only lasted 6 months or so before they realised the difficulties with permits that Ian had had, and once again I was out of work.

Pete Farbrace though took up employment with Michael White (WhiteTrux) of Canterbury, and once again I was hired. :grinning: