Political discussions...

What are voters interested in?
“It’s the economy, stupid”

Then health, and then immigration.
Tax comes further down.
Maybe people finally realise that the excuse we use when we get a nice car (just me?) is also true with the NHS etc,
“You get what you pay for”?

what excuse?i need a car to get to work visit friends etc etc yes i could use public transport if it was around at the times i start and finish work and if it ran reliably. However over all public transport would cost me more than it costs to run my car. Last 5 cars i have bought have been between 500 and 1000 pounds. If something breaks that i cant fix the car hasn’t cost me anything as i have earnt far more than it cost.

You’d need to speak to the estate agent or LA about that

Not for everyone, but this a really interesting look at the Council Tax system.

Do you really pay more for a semi-detached in Hartlepool than for a mansion in Westminster? BBC Radio 4 - More or Less: Behind the Stats, Council tax weirdness: Hartlepool vs Westminster

Whoa! A CF-worthy response. :crazy_face: That reads like something I’d expect from Farage’s latest nutty offering, Reform UK.

I never said any of that, I’m suggesting your seemingly very rosy view of the housing market is based on the very unusual situation of you having “an inheritance”, something that is not a part of normal life for the typical person I meet.

More or Less, that’s a great series :+1: those guys should be featured daily after the various news programmes

1 Like

i have never said it was usual however all of my working friends / acquaintances have their own homes. In each case either the parents helped them with a lump sum or allowed them to stay at home to save a substantial deposit.

i haven’t looked at your link yet as i need to go out for an appointment but is it where someone in a different part of the country pays 4 or 5 times more council tax than someone in london with a 4 million pound home? if so i mentioned this a while a go and was accused of living in a fantasy land

For the love of Sploom’s non-existent God, please stop trying to imitate northern dialects/accents.
And if you really need to be told what the difference is between Starmer and Corbyn, then you’re so out of touch I can’t help you.

Incidentally, if the large, mixed-age family group I was part of yesterday is any indication of how the GE results will turn out, then no-one under the age of 40 is going to consider voting anything but Labour. So you Farage-fans and bring-back-Boris-fans are most likely going to be very disappointed.

Whether that’s an age-related difference between your generation and mine, or a geography-related difference between north and south, what you have described is not typical for anyone I know, whether they’re young or old.

Trying to understand that…I don’t know why.
Are you saying there are constituencies where Tories are polling at #1 and Reform Ltd are at #2?
I wonder where?

it might be a slight generation thing it was more exceptable for people my age to still be living at home when they were 25

I’m not asking for the difference between Starmer and Corbyn - I’m asking for why Lefties and Northern labour voters SEE no difference!
I would have thought that Starmer is despised by the Left of the Labour party right now - for kicking Corbyn OUT, rather than as a back-bencher - inciting the entire PLP to get behind Corbyn when they had the chance - in 2017…

“Anyone wearing Red is welcome in my Bed” eh?

I’m a star trek fan myself.
“Never EVER wear Red”.

I don’t believe for a minute that everyone under 40 is a thicko, so I would expect there to be a lot of disappointment should Starmer underperform in HIS expected “Red Wave” come October…

The one uniting thing that MOST of the UK public want is CHANGE.
I think the Great British Public are going to succeed in getting that, this time around…
BUT such “change” comes in three forms, the way I see it:-
Green-leaning
Left/Remain Leaning
Right/Brexiteer-Leaning.

I’ve not seen any evidence as of yet that Left and Remain have gone in different directions, nor Right and Brexiteer neither.

Hence why I’ve coupled them together…
As for “Green” - well, they are a law unto themselves…

No, where Libdem mainly are polling 2nd, and in the case of Scotland - polling not even that.
We’ve not heard of RUK’s strategy for Scotland yet, although I suspect they are waiting for Humazah to blow up first…

On the main part, Tories losing their seats in Remainer areas - are going to lose them to the Libdems rather than Labour I would have thought, hence why a tactical labour switch to RUK has that seat go for “Change” rather than more same-old-same old claptrap from the Libdems, currently quoted at 1000/1 on Betfair to “win the most seats” compared to RUK’s 40/1

The bookmakers at least - seem to have this undertow of "expecting Libdems to sink further rather than make any kind of “comeback” at this coming election…

Don’t also forget the effect that RUK not standing at the last two elections has…
I wanted very much to vote for them last time, but had to hold my nose and vote for that limp chump Un-cushty Chishti instead…
I used to vote Libdem in this ward, but they have not changed their Labour turncoat candidate for over a decade, and I can’t support a guy who’s ruined my girl’s grammar school by merging it (as a counsellor) with the crappiest school in the area… No sir-ee!

The floodgates are finally opened then:
Remainer Tories are looking for somewhere to go that may or may not be Keir Starmer’s Labour…
Brexiteer Tories are locked-in for RUK already, I would guess…
That just leaves other Libdem voters (all remainers?) and Corbynites who don’t actually like Starmer much…
I wouldn’t take for granted that EITHER of those two groups - are going to back Starmer as the “only way to make a Tory lose that seat”.

“Acceptable” ?
as in
Having no bloody choice because of the high relative cost of housing”

Certainly more common.
And long overdue a change.

Yes it is generational, for a generation or more, and with both left and right parties we have under performed on building homes.

would you consider a 21 year old needing a 2 bed flat■■?

here are a list of available properties for rent in medway (10 pages of them) which is a city with both affluent and not so affluent areas

nlw for 21 is 11.44 40 hours per week = 457.60 52 weeks a year = 23795.20 gross or 20,652.14 net which is 1721.01 per month. so easily affordable. also most people on nlw get some form of benefit help as the conservative government guaranteed you would be 2.5 times better off working then on benefits

oh incidentally one thing i didnt know and just found out the conservatives have just dropped the qualifying age for nlw from 23 to 21

I lived at home until I was 32 - couldn’t get a mortgage, nor raise a deposit (interest rates were higher than now at the time)

I’d be more concerned if they dropped the age for nwo from 23 to 21…

nwo whats that when its at home

[quote=“winseer, post:232, topic:236118, full:true”]

I’m not asking for the difference between Starmer and Corbyn - I’m asking for why Lefties and Northern labour voters SEE no difference! [/quote]

You’re making massive assumptions that have no evidential basis: The North dramatically and uncharacteristically gave Corbyn the thumbs down; we don’t yet know how Starmer will fair, but he is unlikely to be shunned in the manner his predecessor was

Ah, the weird and not-so-wonderful world of Winseer - where the rest of us have no clue what you’re on about

The inference being that anyone who disagrees with your political delusions is “a thicko”?
Those people I referred to who stated they intend to only consider Labour as an option are all highly-educated youngish professionals: teachers, nurses, one doctor, one radiographer etc. So I think there’s probably more of them around than there are people with your mindset