Petrol Tanker Drivers in West London Wanted

Winseer:
Remind me to sit down and play some stud with you at some point. :wink:

Seriously though, one would have thought that forking out £650 would actually teach one a trade rather than a load of bully that, like dcpc one very likely knew already. :open_mouth:

Once bitten twice shy:mrgreen:

Paying out £650 won’t teach you a lot, it’s like saying paying a grand for my class 1 will teach me to drive a truck it won’t, it’ll teach how to pass my test the next 30 years or so I will learn, hopefully I will learn well.

As for paying or not paying to be trained = supply and demand, if you want the job and they will only take trained people either pay to get trained or go and sit with their best driver for a week or two, if your any good he will teach you and he will recommend you = your in.

Just to say ave earnings for petrol are £30,500 currently that will be 50-60 hours I guess so assuming you earn time and a third for OT that makes your hourly rate below £9 an hour.
No wonder people are queuing up for the job then (where is the head against brick wall symbol ?)

To you drivers wanting to go on the tankers why not try the ■■■ tankers you’ll earn more than £9 an hour the hours are long though, especially if your on for a utility company as there’s no tacho required on that work.

The hourly rate on Hoyer Petrolog is £15/hr. There is no overtime rate, that rate is for all hours worked(days/nights/weekends).
Agreed, their traing is top notch(regarded as the best in the industry).
All delays must be accounted for(Non-productive hours) sheets need to be filled in & your 45 mins WILL be deducted.
I could go on but I’ll leave it there for now.

Dogsbody:
The hourly rate on Hoyer Petrolog is £15/hr. There is no overtime rate, that rate is for all hours worked(days/nights/weekends).
All delays must be accounted for(Non-productive hours) sheets need to be filled in & your 45 mins WILL be deducted.

Regarding the training, It’s not true. They are not regarded best in the industry. Especially with all the Petroleum Passport ■■■■ coming in. Everyone is now being trained to the same standard. Across the entire industry. Anyway, I would consider Murco training the best. Considering Hoyer do not do pump offs, your not really taught the entirety of the job. This is course only mattering if you left Hoyers. In my opinion Wincanton are THE best in the industry.

Dogsbody:

Please carry on, enlighten some of us who might never got the chance to do the job…

Jamiemufu:

Dogsbody:

Regarding the training, It’s not true. They are not regarded best in the industry. Especially with all the Petroleum Passport [zb] coming in. Everyone is now being trained to the same standard. Across the entire industry. Anyway, I would consider Murco training the best. Considering Hoyer do not do pump offs, your not really taught the entirety of the job. This is course only mattering if you left Hoyers. In my opinion Wincanton are THE best in the industry.

Normally I wouldn’t respond to this post because everyone is entitled to own, and voice an opinion, therefore you are perfectly entitled to hold the opinion that Wincanton are the best in the industry, and that Murco provide the best training. However, you suggest that everyone is being trained the same because of PDP…THIS IS ABSOLUTE NONSESE. It’s like saying everyone is being trained the same because of the ADR, which is also a common qualification. Any reputable company, and certainly Hoyer, do far more practical training than the PDP requirement, which was brought in to ensure all existing drivers met a minimum standard that reputable companies already exceeded. You are also incorrect in your statement that Hoyer don’t do pump offs, I work for Hoyer and although the majority of our work is gravity, we have numerous pump offs, and we receive pump training before we are put down for pump work.I have often heard it said that our training is the best in the industry, I know it’s very thorough but I couldn’t comment on how it compares to others’ because I haven’t been trained by other companies…I’m assuming you have? I am also assuming that dogsbody works for us…I might even know him. His comments are correct, although not all contracts deduct the 45 minute break from an nph claim. On balance the job doesn’t suit everyone, but it’s as good as any other tanker job.

I know 4 people currently working for hoyers. Very close friends. ALL of them have said they dont do pump offs EVER! So you guys doing pump off is news to me. But I don’t work for them, so thanks for the info. Also about PDP, I said training everyone to same standard, not training everybody the same. Which is a perfectly accurate statement, as that is the whole point in the PDP. Now some might be trained above and beyond, but the minimum standard of training will be across the board. I have not been trained by more than one company. Just my views and opinions as I know alot from various companies. I am with Turners on BWOC, but it suits me as I night out all week. And for now, its my perfect set up.

Jamiemufu:

Dogsbody:

Regarding the training, It’s not true. They are not regarded best in the industry. Especially with all the Petroleum Passport [zb] coming in. Everyone is now being trained to the same standard. Across the entire industry. Anyway, I would consider Murco training the best. Considering Hoyer do not do pump offs, your not really taught the entirety of the job. This is course only mattering if you left Hoyers. In my opinion Wincanton are THE best in the industry.

Surely BP is the leader in petroleum training as they have their own rollover truck all training is completed in house including ADR and they had their own passport version 20 years ago .

Dogsbody:

sorry but you are wrong hoyer petrolog hourly rate is £17.62 there is an overtime rate double time sunday pm and time and half sunday am .ten hour nights 11.25 hour days but very rare we work that long .it is a very good job

dogface:
.it is a very good job

Sounds like it is for the fortunate…#sigh

It certainly seems like petrol tanker drivers are the ‘elite’ of the industry in terms of both training and pay. It does seem a case of not just what you know but who you know?

dogface:

Dogsbody:

sorry but you are wrong hoyer petrolog hourly rate is £17.62 there is an overtime rate double time sunday pm and time and half sunday am .ten hour nights 11.25 hour days but very rare we work that long .it is a very good job

Hoyer Petrolog do not pay £17.62 an hour, you are talking about the Hoyer Shell contract who also pay time and a half sat am along with Sunday am but only if it’ is a rest day worked.

Hoyer Petrolog is £16.25 an hour regardless of shift including bank holidays even Boxing Day , 8 hour guarantee. Esso contract is different pay and conditions again.

Hoyer do have pump off work particularly on the Esso contract but also some retail sites on there other contracts.

Personally speaking I would rather do general haulage than work for turners and could earn more money too.

suavecolliedog:
Personally speaking I would rather do general haulage than work for turners and could earn more money too.

I thought Turners were more likely to give you a chance without experience than Hoyer, use it as a learning stepping stone then move on but I think I was wrong:(

Pimpdaddy:

suavecolliedog:

I thought Turners were more likely to give you a chance without experience than Hoyer, use it as a learning stepping stone then move on but I think I was wrong:(

There’s a fella on here who is quite happy with Turners, so it’s “horses for courses” That said, I know for a fact that Hoyer do, and will continue to, recruit drivers with no tanker experience. Their training (like BP’s) is all in house, and very thorough. Its true the rates on Shell and Esso contracts are higher than the Petrolog fleet which where Hoyer are currently recruiting, but Petrolog rates are competitive at £17 p/hr. I’ve been with Hoyer 14 yrs now and find them a good company, so I know what I’d do if I was trying to get a job in the industry with no experience…

alright now:
I’ve been with Hoyer 14 yrs now and find them a good company, so I know what I’d do if I was trying to get a job in the industry with no experience…

:slight_smile:

Is this true there are a lot of limitations when it comes to fuel tanker work?
I’ve heard you can’t even have a mobile phone in your cab, is this true?
What about hings like:

• having an electric cooler box for your food and drinks powered by cigarette lighter
  • listening to radio, as you need to switch it on and off, which might generate a spark somewhere?
  • when tramping , can you carry any cooking stuff, kettle, any type of heating stove, probably not gas stove, but maybe some electric, but then electric stoves powered by cigarettes lighter must be ■■■■■, if they exist at all
  • what about switching cabin heater on when tramping , is this also not allowed. I know many fuel tanker drivers tramp. How do they live whole week out on the road with so many limitations?

I met once a guy who did some fuel tanker work and said he absolutely hated it, said worst job he ever had, so many limitations, not allowed to do so many things and he went back to his previous job.

hkloss1:
What about hings like:

• having an electric cooler box for your food and drinks powered by cigarette lighter
  • listening to radio, as you need to switch it on and off, which might generate a spark somewhere?
  • when tramping , can you carry any cooking stuff, kettle, any type of heating stove, probably not gas stove, but maybe some electric, but then electric stoves powered by cigarettes lighter must be [zb], if they exist at all
  • what about switching cabin heater on wen tramping , is this also not allowed. I know many fuel tanker drivers tramp. How do they live whole week out on the road with so many limitations?

I met once a guy who did some fuel tanker work and said he absolutely hated it, said
worst job he ever had, so many limitations, not allowed to do so many things and he went back to his previous job.

If you are doing Forecourt work for the main Oil Companies then there will be a lot of restrictions on what you can and can’t carry with you. Every company will have there own rules but they will be along the same lines. They all copy each other.

No Mobile phones. If you are caught carrying one you will lose your job.
The cab phone is linked to the handbrake, so when you are moving the phone is disabled.
No-one can ring you and you can’t use the phone either. You have to be stationary for it to work. Safety First

Cigarette lighters are blanked over. You can’t plug anything into one as it isn’t there.

Radio is the same as any other Vehicle. When you Load or Deliver you have to isolate the Electrics so there is no power and no chance of a spark form the Vehicle.

Fireproof Clothing, so no shorts or vests. Hard Hats and Long Sleeve Hi-Viz jackets to be worn when loading or delivering.

Parking only allowed in Safe Havens. If you park in a Lay-By it has to separated from the road by a verge or barrier. Or in a service area or on a forecourt. You can’t just park anywhere. Safety First

As for Tramping in a Fuel Tanker then I have no idea as to what you can and can’t carry with you.

These restrictions are in place for your safety. :open_mouth:

suavecolliedog:

dogface:

Dogsbody:

Hoyer Petrolog do not pay £17.62 an hour, you are talking about the Hoyer Shell contract who also pay time and a half sat am along with Sunday am but only if it’ is a rest day worked.

Hoyer Petrolog is £16.25 an hour regardless of shift including bank holidays even Boxing Day , 8 hour guarantee. Esso contract is different pay and conditions again.

Hoyer do have pump off work particularly on the Esso contract but also some retail sites on there other contracts.

Ha! Don’t knock it till you try it! I personally love being on the BWOC contract with Turners. But apples and oranges. I don’t mind working 3 15’s and 2 13’s in a week. So money is there if you want it! Whats a matter? Scared of actually earning your money;):wink:

fodentanker:

hkloss1:
What about hings like:

• when tramping , can you carry any cooking stuff, kettle, any type of heating stove, probably not gas stove, but maybe some electric, but then electric stoves powered by cigarettes lighter must be [zb], if they exist at all
  • what about switching cabin heater on wen tramping , is this also not allowed. I know many fuel tanker drivers tramp. How do they live whole week out on the road with so many limitations?

I met once a guy who did some fuel tanker work and said he absolutely hated it, said
worst job he ever had, so many limitations, not allowed to do so many things and he went back to his previous job.

If you are doing Forecourt work for the main Oil Companies then there will be a lot of restrictions on what you can and can’t carry with you. Every company will have there own rules but they will be along the same lines. They all copy each other.

The cab phone is linked to the handbrake, so when you are moving the phone is disabled.
No-one can ring you and you can’t use the phone either. You have to be stationary for it to work. Safety First

Cigarette lighters are blanked over. You can’t plug anything into one as it isn’t there.

Radio is the same as any other Vehicle. When you Load or Deliver you have to isolate the Electrics so there is no power and no chance of a spark form the Vehicle.

Fireproof Clothing, so no shorts or vests. Hard Hats and Long Sleeve Hi-Viz jackets to be worn when loading or delivering.

Parking only allowed in Safe Havens. If you park in a Lay-By it has to separated from the road by a verge or barrier. Or in a service area or on a forecourt. You can’t just park anywhere. Safety First

As for Tramping in a Fuel Tanker then I have no idea as to what you can and can’t carry with you.

I tramp with Fuel. I carry everything you normally would, except a cooker or anything with ignition source. Things I carry

Laptop
Kettle
Sat Nav
Food
Mobile Phone
Working clothes and Casual
Wash things, book the normal things for a week out

Obviously the BATTERY operated things need to be handed in the refineries and they need to be switched off delivering. But depends who you work for. Hoyers dont night out, and they dont allow any of the above. One of the reasons why I wont work for them.

You can use the night heater. But not in refineries and not when you are delivering. I survive fine during the week;)

Cigarette sockets are blanked out, instead we have night heater isolation key in there (must be removed while loading) But we have Hella sockets. WHICH ARE ADR SAFE!!! Despite what people think

Jamiemufu:

fodentanker:

hkloss1:
What about hings like:

I tramp with Fuel. I carry everything you normally would, except a cooker or anything with ignition source. Things I carry

Laptop
Kettle
Sat Nav
Food
Mobile Phone
Working clothes and Casual
Wash things, book the normal things for a week out

Obviously the BATTERY operated things need to be handed in the refineries and they need to be switched off delivering. But depends who you work for. Hoyers dont night out, and they dont allow any of the above. One of the reasons why I wont work for them.

You can use the night heater. But not in refineries and not when you are delivering. I survive fine during the week;)

Cigarette sockets are blanked out, instead we have night heater isolation key in there (must be removed while loading) But we have Hella sockets. WHICH ARE ADR SAFE!!! Despite what people think

Do all ADR jobs carry these types of restrictions, or is this the case with fuel tanker only?
I still can’t understand (I might be thick) what’s your power source.
If I understand correctly HELLA sockets are powered by cigarette sockets, or is there some other way of getting them powered?

amazon.co.uk/Hella-Double-Li … 69-7178036

so, if as you said cigarette sockets need to be blacked out, how do you charge your sat nav, and run your kettle?
What about your food, where do you keep it all week, in this hot weather?
I understand you can use your night heater when parked up for the night in services or a truck stop, are you?