Perkins settings

Any Perkins experts on here that have a workshop manual for a 4.236 ? Do these settings look right ? I have one in bits at the mow just waiting for gaskets

I’ll have a look in the morning for an old Autodata book which should have the 4.236 in it, but that seems right at first sight. The head will need to go down in stages to the final figure. If not there is a subscription technical data website called Enginedesk; about £4 for a month I think.

Looks fine to me Dan, same as the 6.354 which, if memory serves me right from 43 years ago, were the same as the BMC 5.1/5.7 engines that I worked on. Head 100ft/ibs—valve clearances 12 thou.

Pete.

Have this page any good. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you for the replys ,am I looking for 100 lbs ft then perhaps plus so many degrees ?

windrush:
Looks fine to me Dan, same as the 6.354 which, if memory serves me right from 43 years ago, were the same as the BMC 5.1/5.7 engines that I worked on. Head 100ft/ibs—valve clearances 12 thou.

Pete.

I’ll leave the garage keys out !

Auto data gives the same informtion for a 4.236 fitted in a Dodge 50 series or a 100 series Commando 2. Diagram is attached use no. 75494. If the head studs are only 7/16" however torque is only 59 lbft rather than 100lbft for 1/2" studs. There is nothing about any further angle tightening. I would start going round at 30lb, then 50lb, the 70lb to finish up at 100lbft. Go round at least twice for each stage. Seems pedantic it’s just my way, but the second time round everyhting does still go up further…

Punchy Dan:
Thank you for the replys ,am I looking for 100 lbs ft then perhaps plus so many degrees ?

No, just 100 ft/lbs Dan. Depending on what is advised you MAY have to slacken/retighten them (one at a time of course) after running it for a while, if so then mark the bolt and the head with Tippex so that when you retighten it you know that it is as least as tight as it was previously and don’t forget that the valve clearance will have possibly changed as well.

Pete.

Will do thanks all ,the genuine head set has come £78 ,glad I resesited the eBay ones from £19 upwards !