Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

Benton Bank Newcastle 1953

Benton Bank. From an Evening Chronicle in March 1953 when snow ploughs were out to clear the roads almost every year.

Consett bus having a few problems

2 Likes

Albion Valkerie, I think :wink:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Tad unusuall this, just been restored in the Netherlands, Buzzer nmp’s
434305998_2658431107661567_2051190323944100638_n
434323813_2658431097661568_1076631928414239133_n

1 Like

From Bedford and Ford’s time to get into the big stuff. When I took over at Toray there were 2 4 wheelers with those cabs. They were fine but there was a big lip at the edge of the floor which made it awkward to keep it brushed clean.

Not only that but one Friday night, my usual late finish getting all the loads set up for Saturday, I got a garbled phone call from one of my drivers. He was due a night out in Manchester and was parked up on an industrial estate.

I could barely make out what he was saying, sounded drunk, but I knew it wouldn’t be that and in any case, so early in the evening. But then I could hear a loud tapping sound and a raised voice outside the kiosk (before cab and mobile phones). Turned out John had been there a long time trying to work the machine and this bloke was getting impatient with him. I told John to give the phone to the man so he could tell me what was going on. Between us it came out that John had tripped on that damned lip and headed straight for the concrete with his head.

Took a lot to get an ambulance to him, dialling 999 on another phone in the office was no good, it went to East Mids service and we couldn’t risk breaking the link to this phone to allow the passer-by to do it. Somehow I managed to persuade them to ring their colleagues in Manchester and all was well. He had a fractured skull. Good job, on a lonely estate after hours there was someone desperate for the phone. :smiley:

Up North Combine pigeon transport.

1 Like

Shall I be the first?

Police were following a truck and every ten minutes he jumped out the cab and hit the side of the lorry. So they asked what he was doing?
“Well I’ve got a full load of pigeons, but so long as I keep them flying I won;t be overweight”

Apologies. :grinning:

Man that is well bad

Leeming Bar 2022.
Oily

Just got a load of stone to fill a few potholes in me drive, it is 5.7 miles long :rofl: Buzzer

nmp

I’d like to see the ram that could push that up.

I’d like to see go round a corner!

Can’t beat a bit of photoshopping, although AI can probably do it too

Trying to post a Youtube link of a multiaxle livebody asphalt feeder truck, can’t get it to work :rage:
Oily

This time.
Oily

America… Everything has to be bigger than anywhere else

The operator is tough, breathing in the fumes, and with a ciggie on the go!

Leeming Bar 2022.
Oily

Scammell tankers from the Ronnie Cameron collection.
Oily

Scammell Ronnie 4496523345_891843e50f_b