Overheard this last week

Was delievering somewhere last week, and overheard usual driver stories and BS, and then this one came out…

“My mate was pulled by VOSA and kept there an hour and a half, then missed his booking at XXXX delivery and had the load refused and now my gaffer is suing VOSA for it”…

Now, BS and stories aside, what would happen if this incident were to occur??
Could VOSA be sued/claimed against for it, or is it another case of the Transport Company have to bear the brunt of the cost and inconvenience??

the Transport Company have to bear the brunt of the cost and inconvenience??

Think you’ve got it in one! Never heard of VOSA compensating for such an event. :laughing:

yes you could, as one and a half hours is longer than what anyone would see as necessary.

glad the bloke has got the balls to do it.

One of our drivers got pulled in at the Castle Kennedy Weigh bridge through the week there and because hes driving an old 4 series Scania they dug deep into his tachos, found nothing but did comment on the speed trace being low, IE it ran at 89/90kmh which is the legal limit roughly, so instead of believing the driver, the tacho calibration sticker and the tacho cards they thought they go one better and rip the dash out to find nothing 45mins later, so yes I would also try to get compo if I was delayed because some arty ■■■■■ in a yellow jump suit thought hed knew better.

Peter Smythe:

the Transport Company have to bear the brunt of the cost and inconvenience??

Think you’ve got it in one! Never heard of VOSA compensating for such an event. :laughing:

With no knowledge whatsoever my guess is that VOSA will be immune from such trvialities. :frowning:

scottishcruiser:
One of our drivers got pulled in at the Castle Kennedy Weigh bridge through the week there and because hes driving an old 4 series Scania they dug deep into his tachos, found nothing but did comment on the speed trace being low, IE it ran at 89/90kmh which is the legal limit roughly, so instead of believing the driver, the tacho calibration sticker and the tacho cards they thought they go one better and rip the dash out to find nothing 45mins later, so yes I would also try to get compo if I was delayed because some arty ■■■■■ in a yellow jump suit thought hed knew better.

Did he have it hidden somwhere else then.Ive heard they can be put in anywhere.

BuzzardBoy:
Was delievering somewhere last week, and overheard usual driver stories and BS, and then this one came out…

“My mate was pulled by VOSA and kept there an hour and a half, then missed his booking at XXXX delivery and had the load refused and now my gaffer is suing VOSA for it”…

Could VOSA be sued/claimed against for it, or is it another case of the Transport Company have to bear the brunt of the cost and inconvenience??

Was any offence found?

zippy!:

BuzzardBoy:

**Was any offence found?[/**quote]

Does it matter?

If you can prove beyond reasonable doubt during the time of your stop with the lovely ever so helpful and having a family tree so unsullied with gaps within the parentage trace all the way back to Adam, that you will be late for a delivery/pickup with the consequences to the detriment of you and your company you can ask the inspecting officer for a receipt with which you may then return with evidence of missed booking to VOSA or whomever it is that handles these things for a hearing into financial restitution. I am not 100% sure over this but i asked a ever so lovely and helpful Police Officer pretty much the same question the other week and they have a form for such things.

would have thought it pretty unusual to be kept 1 1/2 hrs by vosa unless there was a serious problem. so it would be a case of tough luck.

tonyb70:

scottishcruiser:

Did he have it hidden somwhere else then.Ive heard they can be put in anywhere.

Sadly buddy were a 110% legal Irish operator so there was no switches, wires or what ever you want to call them. When your playing about with nearly 50 lorries its too much to lose. But because its a 4 series, Irish reg pulling a Norfolkline there a dead cert to be getting pulled over.

It would be good to think that there is provision for compensation by VOSA for something like this.

Even though 1 1/2 hours might seem excessive. if they only kept you for half an hour and you missed your bookin time,i think they would say something along the lines of “tough, what would you have done if you had been issued with a prohibition” because then would not have been going anywhere soon

grousebeater