Opinions on the broader trucking industry

Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of research via news articles, forums and the like into the current aspirations, opinions and mindset of trucking within the UK.

I profess to be no expert in this field as I am a newbie myself who is looking to expand his scope and portfolio of skills by undertaking LGV training.

So I would like to know, mainly from the newer guys I suggest, what drew you to considering a carer in truck driving and what sector of this trade do you foresee yourself being a part of.

Do you aspire to be a truck driver in order to have the largest tractor and curtain sided trailer, haul the heaviest loads, drive tippers only or just have a life on the road?

Personally, I have researched the options for my area. If I was to aim for a job involving pallet work or similar longer haul then my only choice would be companies at about 40 miles distant either north, northwest or east. I cannot go in any other direction or I will be in the sea ! :slight_smile:

So realistically for me, my options for employment within that radius will be in the Aggregates, haulage of boats or large plant equipment, Liquid Slurry, Bulk Milk Tankers, or Bulk Animal Feed Distribution. Yes there are smaller concerns like Builders Merchants, small aggregates, or frozen food.

So my personal range will be from Stoney stuff to smelly stuff!

Just interested in others aspirations, the realities of what is in their areas and what they are willing to do or not do.

Secondly, I have not gone into wages as such as everywhere you read it looks bleak, but is that story limited to drivers in the cut-throat pallet and courier industry or does it spread out into the likes of tipper work or tankers (with smelly stuff) who work for smaller companies (not nationals) who are for instance family run businesses.

My last two jobs, including the one where I am presently employed have given me eleven years of employment each to date (not driving jobs, both in production engineering). I feel it is time for another change so if managing to go LGV I would try and look for a smaller long established family run company where I would ‘hopefully’ get another ten years service in.

Rich.

Thought for a bit you’d be my uncle.

I can’t quite remember why I started (March 2015). Think it might have been the pay, and being ■■■■■■ off with supervisors (retail, cor blimey). I do know it makes quite the conversation piece, but that might just be my tender age :laughing: