One for rog probably

weve all been given a warning by the transport manager that we can no longer move tractor units on the road between yards if youve only got a class 2 or C (not that im affected by it )
as Vosa are clamping down on it apparantly, they been fining drivers for using a vehicle that theyve got no entitlement to drive or something along the lines of that, is he right ■■? or is he making daft rules up to suit himself again

A class C licence entitles the holder to drive any tractor unit.

cheers mike thought me and a few of the other drivers were right , dopey git seems to make up daft rules to suit himself and say theyve come from either the dvla or vosa

Andydisco:
weve all been given a warning by the transport manager that we can no longer move tractor units on the road between yards if youve only got a class 2 or C (not that im affected by it )
as Vosa are clamping down on it apparantly, they been fining drivers for using a vehicle that theyve got no entitlement to drive or something along the lines of that, is he right ■■? or is he making daft rules up to suit himself again

Your transport manager is an idiot and you need to tell him so as soon as possible. Be wary of anything this man tells you regarding rules and regulations as he is clearly not qualified for his job. You also need to make those higher up the food chain aware of his shortcomings because he could land the company, and it’s drivers, in serious trouble at some point.

Class C licence = Goods vehicle

Class C+E = Goods vehicle towing a trailer.

A solo tractor unit is clearly not towing a trailer so it comes under Class C. Simple.

And no, it doesn’t need the 5th wheel removing or any other old ■■■■■■■■ you will hear about driving a solo tractor unit on a non C+E/Class 1 licence.

well put coffeeholic :smiley: i cant understand why this would be one for ROG though :unamused:

write to your managing director. explain that as a result of your transport managers incompetence, you no longer have any confidence in his ability to manage the drivers. ask all the other drivers to sign the letter.
he will have to be replaced.

Andydisco:
as Vosa are clamping down on it apparantly, they been fining drivers for using a vehicle that theyve got no entitlement to drive

quite right too

but it doesnt affect any of your class 2 drivers. a tractor unit over 7.5 tons is a cat C. its only C+E when a trailer is attached

Churchill:
well put coffeeholic :smiley: i cant understand why this would be one for ROG though :unamused:

Rog will take this thread to fifteen pages, so I am going to help him :stuck_out_tongue:

If the bloke who has bothered to train and got himself a Class one / C+E loses a cushy Saturday mornings work to one of the underlings :stuck_out_tongue: especially if they have to run a few units up to the garage for inspection.

Coffeholic pointed out the legal status of which I was corrected several years ago, no padlocks fitted, bolts removed, virgins sat on the greasy plate etc. I would be more concerned about the moral stance, bloke on £6.50 gets my overtime to drive my truck for less money :stuck_out_tongue:

Discuss :laughing:

limeyphil:
write to your managing director. explain that as a result of your transport managers incompetence, you no longer have any confidence in his ability to manage the drivers. ask all the other drivers to sign the letter.

What? you are getting soft in your old age, before you would have had him killed :laughing:

limeyphil:

what am i thinking? kick his teeth in.

Churchill:

Probably because I’ve answered this question many times and explained it exactly as coffeeholic has done so in regard to the modern C and +E catagories.

There is one thing that I do not know :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: - under the old HGV catagories and regs, would the answer be the same ■■
I would imagine yes, but stand to learn if different…

ROG:

Churchill:

Probably because I’ve answered this question many times and explained it exactly as coffeeholic has done so in regard to the modern C and +E catagories.

True, although I do seem to recall you did subscribe to the things had to be removed theory before you saw the light. :stuck_out_tongue:

ROG:
There is one thing that I do not know :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: - under the old HGV catagories and regs, would the answer be the same ■■

ROG, ROG, ROG, you get confused enough over current legislation so I think old, out of date stuff, should be left in the past. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Wanted to know if old rules were different as quite a few ask this question, many ask that drove under the HGV, so I wondered if that was why this question kept coming up…

ROG:
Wanted to know if old rules were different as quite a few ask this question, many ask that drove under the HGV, so I wondered if that was why this question kept coming up…

Twas always thus…

Ostler could take the horses but needed a proper coachman if the carriage was attached.

ROG:

The question keeps coming up simply due to bullcrap and MMTM.

Oh, and transport managers who really should know better. :wink:

ROG:

Rog I think under the old regs it was’nt worded as goods vehicle towing a trailer it was class 1 any vehicle ‘designed and constructed for use as an articulated vehicle’ or words to that effect which meant that the fifth wheel had to be removed for a non class 1 driver to drive it.But if I’m wrong then it looks like I’m going to be in the firing line of coffeeholic.

Carryfast:
Rog I think under the old regs it was’nt worded as goods vehicle towing a trailer it was class 1 any vehicle ‘designed and constructed for use as an articulated vehicle’ or words to that effect which meant that the fifth wheel had to be removed for a non class 1 driver to drive it.But if I’m wrong then it looks like I’m going to be in the firing line of coffeeholic.

Start running but weave from side to side to make it a bit more sporting, I’ll give you 30 seconds before I start firing. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

The 5th wheel removal thing was to make it an incomplete motor vehicle, thus enabling it to be driven on an ordinary licence. An old Class 1 was for an articulated vehicle but with no trailer attached the unit wasn’t articulated so didn’t require a Class 1. In the very best traditions of drivers not letting the facts get in the way of a good bit of bullcrap the bit about the incomplete motor vehicle was ignored and it was spouted that the 5th wheel had to be removed to drive it with a Class 2 or 3. The only difference in days of olde was basically a Class 3 for 2 axle units and Class 2 for those with more than 2 axles.

So, if the tractor unit (without a trailer and therefore Cat C) weighs 7t, can it drive through a 7.5t weight limited road?

Or do weight limits apply to GVW rather than actual weight?

:wink: :laughing:

marcustandy:
So, if the tractor unit (without a trailer and therefore Cat C) weighs 7t, can it drive through a 7.5t weight limited road?

Generally no, same as you couldn’t take one with a trailer on and an unladen weight of say 15 tonnes through an 18t weight limit.

marcustandy:
Or do weight limits apply to GVW rather than actual weight?

Most signs refer to GVW and a 4x2 usually has a plated weight of about 18 tonnes.

if its under 7.5t then your safe to drive through a 7.5t weight limit but then again am maybe wrong lol