O/D tyres question

Just wondering do any of you owner drivers or small fleet owners repair or cut you own tyres. I have been cutting mine for years i bought a tyre cutter years ago I would love to know how many I have cut over the years saved a small fortune. I run just six vehicles. Just wondering do anyone do the same ? Also do any of you repair punctures yourself as nowadays you don’t even need to take the wheel off anymore. Last tyre fitter came out repaired tyre with a what looked like a T piece screwdriver with a cord on end.pushed T piece right through the tyre twisted around pulled T price out of tyre… WELLA repaired
Fed up with tyre fitters comeing to repair a puncture but unable to repair because puncture to close to sidewall of tyre so obviously sell you a new one branded make of course because they have no budgets in stock

John

Cutting tyres did not work for me, I found they were soon damaged in quarries with sharp stones etc. I have enquired about that method of puncture repair in the past and was told it is only for agricultural and plant etc.

I run hankook tyres, but find there is not a lot of rubber in the bottom of the treads, with a recut very easy to pick up damage. I think the booklet from them (hankook) said a cut up to 4mm was possible, tried it once, less than what the book said, while it did not expose the cords I could feel them through the rubber if you run a screw driver in the cut.
Very rare to cut any now.

busy fool:
Just wondering do any of you owner drivers or small fleet owners repair or cut you own tyres. I have been cutting mine for years i bought a tyre cutter years ago I would love to know how many I have cut over the years saved a small fortune. I run just six vehicles. Just wondering do anyone do the same ? Also do any of you repair punctures yourself as nowadays you don’t even need to take the wheel off anymore. Last tyre fitter came out repaired tyre with a what looked like a T piece screwdriver with a cord on end.pushed T piece right through the tyre twisted around pulled T price out of tyre… WELLA repaired
Fed up with tyre fitters comeing to repair a puncture but unable to repair because puncture to close to sidewall of tyre so obviously sell you a new one branded make of course because they have no budgets in stock

John

I cut and puncture repair tyres, the method you state above will work to a point, it is intended for plant use and not legal on commercial vehicles

I still cut and change my own tyres. I get ats to repair punctures, or take them into a vulcaniser to get them repaired if it needs a major repair.

It’s still worth recutting tyres in my operation as I can get about 30,000 km out of a set of recuts on the drive, and can get 70,000km from a recut on the middle axle on the trailer.

Nothing wrong with cutting your own tyres, surely that is what the tyre cutting machine was invented for, as for simple puncture repairs I have always done my own. Surely this is owner operators doing what they do best, owning the vehicle and operating it, that involves scheduled maintenance, and as part of that, tyre cutting has always come into it. I find it good that the OP has facilities, tools, know how and capability to undertake such tasks, instead of the approach of many in the industry now who think all maintenance must be done on an R&M contract. An owner operator who cannot perform basic maintenance tasks such as these should perhaps be asking themselves “am I the right person to be operating vehicles”?

1970commer:
Nothing wrong with cutting your own tyres, surely that is what the tyre cutting machine was invented for, as for simple puncture repairs I have always done my own. Surely this is owner operators doing what they do best, owning the vehicle and operating it, that involves scheduled maintenance, and as part of that, tyre cutting has always come into it. I find it good that the OP has facilities, tools, know how and capability to undertake such tasks, instead of the approach of many in the industry now who think all maintenance must be done on an R&M contract. An owner operator who cannot perform basic maintenance tasks such as these should perhaps be asking themselves “am I the right person to be operating vehicles”?

what ^^^^^^^ said :wink:

Moose:

busy fool:

John

I cut and puncture repair tyres, the method you state above will work to a point, it is intended for plant use and not legal on commercial vehicles

It’s certainly ok as a temporary repair as is the sealant type stuff. British standards stipulate a plug repair and internal inspection but I didn’t think they were legally binding but just what most tyre co’s work to.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use a string repair long term on a car/van/4x4. On a truck I definitely would take the tyre off the rim and plug simply because if the string led to a slow you could end up with a blowout - not necessarily at the side of the road though. I think there’s a fair bit of tyre repair industry led scaremongering about string repairs.