NUMBER PLATES

A daft question i know but does anyone know if it is still legal to use the old type number plates on a modern lorry the black plate with white numbers instead of the reflective yellow and white that we use thank you in advance ianto

No it’s not mate.
The vehicle has to be first registered sometimes in the 70’s.
Well that the rule for cars anyway, i assume its the same for trucks

gazzah:
No it’s not mate.
The vehicle has to be first registered sometimes in the 70’s.
Well that the rule for cars anyway, i assume its the same for trucks

The vehicle must have been registered before 1.1.1973 for black plates to be legal

Tell that to the hairdressers around here with their Vauxhall Corsas and blue lights…

Muckaway:
Tell that to the hairdressers around here with their Vauxhall Corsas and blue lights…

The rule applies to both straight and gay people.

I trust this clarifies this. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

ianto:
A daft question i know but does anyone know if it is still legal to use the old type number plates on a modern lorry the black plate with white numbers instead of the reflective yellow and white that we use thank you in advance ianto

Why would you want to use the old fashioned plates on a modern wagon anyway ?

bald bloke:

ianto:

Because the yellow ones clash with his pink curtains :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

bald bloke:

ianto:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There’s a guy around here been driving his pimpmobile (black BMW 5 series/black windows/19" wheels, you know the sort - right :wink: ) with black and chrome lettered plates for easily over a year now, the car is a new shape so not a 70’s, don’t know how he gets away with it - oh yes I do thinking about it - plod couldn’t give a toss :confused:

bald bloke:

Black/silver plates on a Black/silver truck maybe??

Vehicles over 7500kgs had an exception to the pre 1973 rule as far as I know, don’t know if it’s has changed.

marlow:
Vehicles over 7500kgs had an exception to the pre 1973 rule as far as I know, don’t know if it’s has changed.

Hi marlow,

Thanks for the memory jogger. :smiley:

When I first read this post, I thought that I remembered a rule about larger vehicles that are already fitted with the large compulsory rear reflectors being exempt from the requirement to fit the white/yellow type of registration plates.

IIRC, there was a case brought by ■■■■■■■ police on this subject, but (if memory serves) they either withdrew it, or they lost.
Like you, I’m also not sure of the present position on this though.

dieseldave:
When I first read this post, I thought that I remembered a rule about larger vehicles that are already fitted with the large compulsory rear reflectors being exempt from the requirement to fit the white/yellow type of registration plates.

That was IIRC the reasoning but as said it’s current validity is debatable.

Chester City Transport (bus company) has black/silver numberplates on the backs of their double-deckers up to F-reg, so must have been legal for big vehicles at least until the late eighties.

London transport was still using black no. plates on their Titan buses early -mid 80s

altitude:

Wheel Nut:

bald bloke:

ianto:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dont grin too much John; I bet you’ve driven some “black-platers” :laughing:

bald bloke:

ianto:

I know a lad who had a daf 95ati and brought a old reg number (example JPL 281P) if you have it black and white it used to look like the old style polish plates, stick a “PL” sticker somewhere and he never got no parking/speeding fines :wink:

Alan Firmin alway used to run with these plates, 80s early 90s.

brados:
‘…There’s a guy around here … with black and chrome lettered plates … don’t know how he gets away with it … plod couldn’t give a toss …’

I understand that an incorrect plate is an MoT failure (?) - if he bothers with that kind of niff-naff.