Night closures....is it just me?

Hello people, I don’t know if it’s just me, but there seems to be an awful lot of night closures this summer, along with the commensurate lengthy diversions. The ■■■■ things are driving me up the wall, and making unwelcome additions to the length of my shift.
Thoughts/comments please…

Don’t drive on the roads… they won’t wear out so quick then.

… M1/A50 junc., M6 j15-16, M1 Northern Ireland are a few I’ve come across the past few weeks at night.

Anyone get stuck on the A34 at Brum an few weeks back? Divereted off the the M6 due to road closures, get onto the A34 which the police had then closed further up due to an accident …I was at the front end of it so I don’t know how busy it got.

You’d think with the closures on the M6 around Birmingham you should be able to use the M6 Toll for free.

I m with you on that one!
A lot of night closures here in Lincolnshire at the moment…We have few roads as it is, so the diversions are lengthy.
Still, we complain about the state of the roads, they have to repair them some time and night time is the best, I couldn`t imagine the gridlock if they did it in the daytime.

markoc:
… M1/A50 junc., M6 j15-16, M1 Northern Ireland are a few I’ve come across the past few weeks at night.

Anyone get stuck on the A34 at Brum an few weeks back? Divereted off the the M6 due to road closures, get onto the A34 which the police had then closed further up due to an accident …I was at the front end of it so I don’t know how busy it got.

You’d think with the closures on the M6 around Birmingham you should be able to use the M6 Toll for free.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, it sounds logical BUT Midland Expressway LTD are a company not a registered charity, I very much doubt them ever doing this

Good idea though, just cant see it ever happening

Thoughts are, you night shift monkeys just need to cope wae it. The real graft gets done on days so cannae close the roads then so don’t even suggest it :grimacing:

merc0447:
Thoughts are, you night shift monkeys just need to cope wae it. The real graft gets done on days so cannae close the roads then so don’t even suggest it :grimacing:

:laughing:

I don’t like working through the night, I’ll avoid it as much as possible when I’m out tramping !!!

Yep I got caught out going to Birmingham from York A1, M42 closed going down and A42 coming back. I notice the M42 is closed again tonight for road resurfacing so beware. Get the map book out don’t rely on Tom Tom :smiley: :smiley:

I would still rather work at night though I love it :sunglasses:

alder:
Yep I got caught out going to Birmingham from York A1, M42 closed going down and A42 coming back. I notice the M42 is closed again tonight for road resurfacing so beware. Get the map book out don’t rely on Tom Tom :smiley: :smiley:

Unless you have the 5150 with live traffic

trubster:

alder:

Yes I was tempted and may still get one. I will see how the new Philips map book goes in conjuction with my old tom tom and my S3 phone. Blimey if I can’t plan a route in Britain with all that I shouldn’t be doing the job LOL

theres been a lot of them in Scotland these last few weeks…
it wouldn’t be so bad if it was daylight and we could see the view.

any signed diversion is suitable (so highways say ) for all types of vehicle that would normally use the closed route ie 16’ 6" etc so just follow the signs. Nothing new about routes being shut at night.

Last week Newark to Bristol. a46 shut as was the M42 and M5. so route went a46 a52 M1 M69 M6 M42 M5 off jn 5 follow Div back on at Jn6 extra time for the whole trip 20min ( By the Book )

They shut the M5 last night at jnt 5, the inconsiderate ■■■■■■■■ all those nasty lorries driving past all night interrupted my sleep in my favourite layby.

Night time driving is a pain in the backside with road closures. Highways agency has a list of night closures and diversion routes but the list is endless :astonished:

A1 and A14 been closures on an off all year

As I’ve previously posted on here there has been a large number of diversions in East Kilbride due to road works or cyclic maintenance ( grass cutting ). And some wee torags have been stealing or altering the diversion signs sending vehicles into totally unsuitable roads or low bridges even. Myself and Sainsbury driver had to turn on Blantyre main street last week, just as well it was late at night.

They are doin a good job, don’t knock!

OTS:
Night time driving is a pain in the backside with road closures. Highways agency has a list of night closures and diversion routes but the list is endless :astonished:

Its really got out of hand this last couple of years.
The highways agency don’t give a toss about the night trunk drivers or people heading home from late events etc.
This was the situation at 02.30 this morning regarding closures! Crazy!

Well that’s just about every major trunk route buggered.

As for why they’re doing it, I think its part of the gubbermints new structural investment malarky to try and get the economy moving again by closing down the roads feeding it.

trubster:

Very hit n miss the traffic service. I was coming from the M1 south heading for Birmingham the other night and the 5150 said there was a 25 minute delay queuing into the road closure on the M6 between J6 and J7. It then decided the quickest way round this was off the M42 at J9, over to the A38 and into Birmingham that way. This would’ve put me over my shift time and I’d been past the closure going the other way earlier with no queue at all. I just went for it and sailed straight down to J6 and off with no hold up at all.