Newbie - Just Starting Out

Hi

Been thinking about getting my licence for a while but have finally got the ball rolling. Had a bit of a shock though as my dad had class 1 lessons years ago, passed test and got his car licence at the same time. Lot has changed :open_mouth: . I realised that was no longer possible but had no idea the hurdles were as many these days.

Anyway I’ve now done my theory tests:
LGV Theory 96 out 100
Hazard 88/100
CPC Theory 100/100

Got one hazard clip disallowed so should be 93/100 as I did spot the hazard. Cyclist on the pavement: clicked mouse, got closer clicked again. He looked over his shoulder so I clicked again. Clicked twice more just in case I missed the 5 point window and clip disallowed. A few of those hazards come up on you very quickly, if you blink you could miss it or at least miss the 5,4 and even the 3 point window.

Shame they don’t tell you what LGV Theory questions you got wrong. I had one strange one not sure if a mistake: You are involved in an incident, no one was hurt? I ruled out 2 answers and was left with a) exchange names and address b) produce insurance details. Now if it said mark 2 answers would have been easy but had to pick one of those two. In the end I went for a). No idea if that was the right one to go for.

Been brushing up on drivers hours and looking through other pdf documents. Starting printing some stuff off and putting in a folder for revision purposes.

I havn’t done a lot of driving for a while so might need to think about looking up an ADI for some refresher training. No point trying to drive a class 2 if I can’t handle a car properly :blush: .

I’m looking at doing the full monty: class 1. Don’t have much idea yet about sort of work I would want to do. All I know from my limited searching/reading on trucknet is forget about ADR tankers.

I’m sure i’ll have some questions as time goes on. Got a couple below.

One thing that does puzzle me which I have copied/pasted below:

That would work fine. But make sure you complete Mods 2 and 4 before moving to class 1 as you can then get periodic driver cpc credits from the driving course which will go to the cpc period commencing 2022.

Now I had looked at doing the class 1 and qualifying for the cpc hours but why would it apply to the period starting 2022? When you do 35 hours (between 2017-2022) does it carry over into the next 5 year period? Surely you will still need to do another 35 hours from 2022-2027? They recommend doing 1 day a year but if someone did 2 x 35 hours does any of that carry over or do you lose it? Looks like some employers favour drivers who have done the cpc hours as I suppose it means no time off work and no doubt the employer doesn’t have to pay your wages and you not being able to drive.

I’m not the most mechanically minded person so I wonder how much info do I need to know. Is it a case of learning thoroughly the walkaround check and being able to carry out minor repairs (like changing a bulb) or do I need more. I have looked at the various pdf documents on what the police and the DVSA use during roadside checks but that covers a lot of technical detail? The daily walkaround sheet only covers a fraction of the stuff you could get an infringement for :question:

Thanks.

Pass mods 2 + 4 = 5 year DQC
Following month do 14 of the 35 hours
Next year do 14 hrs of the 35
Following year do final 7 hours of 35
New 5 year DQC will be issued just before old one expires