Newbie introduction-The journey starts

Hello all
I have been looking at the posts on here for a few months and taken the decision to begin a new journey to LGV driving.
Full of admiration for what all truckers do at all hours,weather,often unseen and cursed on the roads etc- without it there would be zilch for joe public to buy etc…
I wanted to introduce myself, done many years in sales all over UK(In a car 30,000 miles p.a). Spoke to several drivers locally and they advised me to go all the way to cat C and then C/E if possible-amazingly they said I would be more likely then to get work/open the door to work.
I was thinking the 2 year experience rule would make it almost impossible. I was considering 7.5 T work or Van courier/agency etc prior to spending savings on cat C training etc though almost everyone I have spoken to advised doing cat C first.
I have my tacho card and visited a recommended driving school locally(midlands) and done one day CPC- on drivers hours and had medical now waiting for dvla to return card before booking theory test for cat C

My plan was to go for cat C and then if I pass try and join agencies and get some p/t work basically anything
Any advice/posts would be appreciated. is it a wise move to not try for 7.5 T work first?(before going for Cat C)
Are agencies interested in drivers who want to start p/t?

Firstly, welcome. It’s difficult to say what it will be like to get work - especially part-time. But the advice you’ve received is IMO correct. If you can afford to go through to CE, then do it and it will open more doors for you.

Can we ask who your trainer is?

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck with your training.

Generally agencies will take you on with any availability and then it is down to you if you want the shifts they send you.

Also, if affordability is there, go for C and then CE to improve your employability.

If you are determined to get into LGV C and/or CE driving in the future then the earlier you start the clock ticking the better

As a driver with a pre 1997 LGV C1 you have a slight advantage over many newer drivers so if you can make a start using that C1 the better

If you have a full time regular job now then think very carefully before pulling the plug on it becausevyou will be regarded as a newbie in the LGV world with all that entails

Welcome :slight_smile:

By doing the C straightaway you obviously give yourself more options than just be able to drive a 7.5t which can only increase your chances of getting work so I’d agree with what you’ve been told. Others with give you advice about agencies :slight_smile:

Many thanks for all the posts and advice.
Very helpful.Thanks ROG re comments C1.With regard to p/t I am not sure how all agencies work.I have seen p/t
work nights for deliveries cat 2- £6.50 per hour through an agency.

I am up for a challenge and I know this is one!

Welcome aboard, just keep your eyes peeled for the ad in the local paper, or place your ad for free in one of the truck magazines, do some detective work to locate firms in your area, from one man bands to owner drivers who will one day need holiday or sickness cover.
Try farms or horse transport, to international removal firms.

Passed my Theory and hazard for cat C with 94% so now considering options for practical cat C
Is there any back up reading I should be doing before booking practical?
I am being advised to avoid vans and multi drop prior to any cat C Training if possible.The reason being avoiding
developing bad habits.Is this a wise strategy?

Well done passing your theories.

There is a bit of background reading in the stickies at the top of the forum page.

You won’t know which gearbox until you go out on your training. But it’s an idea to try and get your head around gear configurations.

Make sure you have assessments with local schools before you commit your money.

Listen to what the instructor tells you. We can only give you general guidance.

Above all enjoy your training.

Best of luck.

I echo what Rog + other’s have said.

How ever with a great deal MORE EMPHASIS on the URGENCY

Dont muck about, the Clock is ticking
( You have entitlements by Grandad rights which will be gone if you dont get your skates on )

Go book contiguous C followed by CE & CPC Training at your local training school now.

take a few days with an agancy driving 7.5 ton, it wil be good experience
but dont be sidetracked, work these arround your training days.

The primary objective here is to get both the CPC’s & upto CE A.S.P

de 2xQ

Dear All
I have had assessment drives first was bad could not find gears and many other issues(First time ever in a Lorry)
did another assessment drive and was so much better Booked training though it was delayed a few weeks.
Now have training starting next week with test CAT C (fixed/rigid) booked for Monday 16 th!
Any tips on research on this forum or internet?- I want to try and find test route (Leicester)and look at some advice guidance
I have not driven commercially before I am a complete newbie.

Any advice would be very appreciated

There is a lot to learn and take in.Every make of truck is different.Some do not have engine oil dipsticks or are hidden well or the computer on the dash will indicate the levels.
Read the manuals for each model you drive.Normaly in the top lockers to find the book.
Finding the cab air suspension to adjust the height when hooking up to a trailer.Too high or low will cause damage.Hope all goes well.Keep us posted.

jimuk:
Dear All
I have had assessment drives first was bad could not find gears and many other issues(First time ever in a Lorry)
did another assessment drive and was so much better Booked training though it was delayed a few weeks.
Now have training starting next week with test CAT C (fixed/rigid) booked for Monday 16 th!
Any tips on research on this forum or internet?- I want to try and find test route (Leicester)and look at some advice guidance

Test routes are not important - being a driver who is able to adapt safety to any situation is

Instructor will point out any particular tricky bits on the routes

Leicester is my area - who you doing your training with?

If anyone tellls you the load is secure and you were not there to see it loaded never believe them.The old line is never had a problem before and all the other drivers have done this and that way for years.

DoubleQ:
I echo what Rog + other’s have said.

How ever with a great deal MORE EMPHASIS on the URGENCY

Dont muck about, the Clock is ticking
( You have entitlements by Grandad rights which will be gone if you dont get your skates on )

Go book contiguous C followed by CE & CPC Training at your local training school now.

take a few days with an agancy driving 7.5 ton, it wil be good experience
but dont be sidetracked, work these arround your training days.

The primary objective here is to get both the CPC’s & upto CE A.S.P

de 2xQ

Thank you for the advice and reply
Booked training for cat C start next week TEST on 16 th
done 2 days cpc and will book more soon

Regards

jimuk

toby1234abc:
There is a lot to learn and take in.Every make of truck is different.Some do not have engine oil dipsticks or are hidden well or the computer on the dash will indicate the levels.
Read the manuals for each model you drive.Normaly in the top lockers to find the book.
Finding the cab air suspension to adjust the height when hooking up to a trailer.Too high or low will cause damage.Hope all goes well.Keep us posted.

toby 1234abc thanks for the reply and advice
I should be in a MERC I am sure the instructor will go through all the points I need to know however
I was hoping for a few tips from others here on truck net

Peter Smythe:
Firstly, welcome. It’s difficult to say what it will be like to get work - especially part-time. But the advice you’ve received is IMO correct. If you can afford to go through to CE, then do it and it will open more doors for you.

Can we ask who your trainer is?

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete

i ve gone with data for class 2 fixed/rigid start next week monday!!!

ROG:

jimuk:
Dear All

Test routes are not important - being a driver who is able to adapt safety to any situation is

Instructor will point out any particular tricky bits on the routes

Leicester is my area - who you doing your training with?

ROG
Thank you for the reply.
I am doing training on cat 2 rigids with with data in scudamore road- (this was on a recommendation)