Newbie Intro

So I eventually got around to doing my theory test last week and passed. I intend on doing a lesson or two a month now for as long as it takes.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the threads on these fora regarding trucking as a way of life and it definitely looks like I’d be crazy to leave my job to do it, but hopefully I’ll be able to get occasional work from it. I Still really want to drive as much as possible.

On another note I was at the Truckfest in Belfast on Saturday. Pretty good show.
Mostly Scania there, which was interesting for me, considering the occasional slagging they get here, but I’ll start another thread for my musings there.

G :slight_smile:

Well done blacktopjunkie regarding passing
the theory test and good luck with the rest of
your training ect :smiley:

Well done with the theory test blacktopjunkie :slight_smile:

Well done m8. :wink:

Well done mate and thank’s for coming back and letting us know. :wink: :sunglasses:

Welcome :wink:

Hey there! I’ve been watchin the site for a while now and was really glad to see you had a wannbe section and since I’m doin my driver theory next week and will actually have something to say I thought I’d join up.

My background is I work as a proofreader (my posts will always be bad though) for a graphic design company makin good money, but have always wanted to drive trucks. I’m originally from the sticks in Donegal and had two uncles who drove trucks and got to ride around witht them every so often. I basically was kept away from it for years by family and most recently my girlfriends dad who was in a pretty bad truck accident that kept him out of work for the past 25 years. However, we had a son a year ago (and my growing hot rod addiction) and could do with extra dough so I squeeze in the idea of doin occassional weekend drivin or early mornin drivin and this time get a green light, wahey! I wanted to get a licence for drivin a lowloader anyhow to get my chevy truck around (www.cardomain.com/id/herodutus/) to shows and stuff! So I’m gonna start lessons as soon as I get my theory test!

I was wondering if any of the other Irish guys knew if it’s possible to get work on Friday and Saturday nights doin country runs. I’ve heard the petrol places need people to ship out at those times but not sure how true it is? I won’t have Haz Chem licence so maybe bread or grocery runs happen the same time?

So there you go, sorry for the life story :unamused: , but I figure the sooner you get it out in the open the less questions you need to answer later. Thanks for the oppurtunity to even get advice and the site is great

G

Hi blacktopjunkie and Welcome to TruckNetUk. I’m sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction, nice username by the way :wink:. Good luck with the theory test and let us know how you get on. I used to print exhibition graphics myself. Much prefer this job.

Cheers

Ian.

welcome blacktopjunkie :laughing:

HI & welcome to TN UK.

welcome blacktopjunkie :smiley:

Hi Blacktopjunkie, welcome to TN, beats the hell out of watching TV

Hello BTJ and welcome to TruckNet…

You can take a practice theory test here

www.dsa.gov.uk/mockpaper/theoryintro.htm

if it’s of any help to you.

All the best

Vince

Hi blacktopjunkie and Welcome to TruckNet Uk :smiley: .
and also Good luck with theory next week and your training.

Welcome blacktopjunkie and good luck with your theory test and course.

Nice Chevy, btw :smiley:

welcome btj to tn good luck with the test :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess I won’t have many helpful hints for a
goodwhile but I’ll keep up some updates which might be useful to someone. Thanks for the compliment on the Chevy, she might be up for grabs soon (after another 3 inches of lift) enough as I’m thinkin of importin a dually from the states with a fifth wheel, just gotta determine what licence I need in that instance.

G