New Tyres v remolds

The time has come for me to replace a few tires. With the times still being hard and the tyre prices gone through the roof, I don’t know if to pay the full wack on brand new Tyres or go with re-molds.

I drive a concrete mixer so Tyres get a liitle battered on sites so usually go for the hankooks.

Do re-molds last just as long as brand newies?

What’s peoples thoughts on re-molds and if anyone knows of any fgood (cheap) places I can get good re-molds or cheap brand newies?

I tend to cut tyres before I wear them out too, and have no problems with remoulds on the drive or lift axle, I wouldn’t use them on a front axle though !

I think good quality remoulds are probably OK but I would avoid the very cheap ones. It only takes one roadside callout to more than offset any saving you made so cheap ones are probably a false economy IMO.

Personally I haven’t (yet) put any remoulds on my own wagon, I prefer to go for decent quality new tyres. Tipper work is very hard on tyres and I worry that remoulds wouldn’t be up to the job.

Paul

repton:
I think good quality remoulds are probably OK but I would avoid the very cheap ones. It only takes one roadside callout to more than offset any saving you made so cheap ones are probably a false economy IMO.

Personally I haven’t (yet) put any remoulds on my own wagon, I prefer to go for decent quality new tyres. Tipper work is very hard on tyres and I worry that remoulds wouldn’t be up to the job.

Paul

I see what your saying but I don’t really do much mileage to be honest, I’d say I only do aprox 50/100 mile a day at present time.

When people say really cheap remoulds, what price is cheap?

I’m looking at getting 12/18 month out of them.

I went to a tyre convention once, I know how sad that seems, but I was being paid and the lunch was damned nice and best of all free :laughing:

I spoke to several operators and the general consensus was that you get what you pay for for, even in terms of tyre damage. Some of the operators were on muck away/construction work, they all said that once they started paying attention to tyres they soon learned that a premium brand like Michelin will lower your tyre costs considerably, they reported less failures and less damage to the higher priced tyre.

Another thing to bear in mind is rolling resistance, at speeds up to 50mph it has the most effect on fuel consumption after the driver’s right boot. I know a mixer is not the most fuel effiecient vehicle on the planet, but rolling resistance is not a weird science, it’s pure physics, a tyre with high rolling resistance will feel like you’re driving in wet concrete and a tyre with low rolling resistance will feel like the concrete’s dry, that has to have an effect on mpg and I doubt there’s anyone who cannot take mpg into account :wink:

Do remould wear faster than a brand new budget tyre?

Just can’t make my mind up what to do. Il prob be getting new truck in 12 month time so just want them to last until then really.

Some remoulds will wear v well in the past we have had them do more than the original tyre but we have also had a lot blow off!!
pay your money and take the choice,due to high new tyre prices remoulds are now run on the third axle of an 8 wheeler or second axle on a 6 wheeler never on the front and try to keep them off the back as when they do blow off the lights will go as well and then any saving will also be gone!!
dont know anyone who would run michelin on site work as re bar wont be stopped by an expensive tyre what ever the rolling resistance is
if you put michelin on a mixer i dont think you would ever see any saving but a warn out mich casing will be worth the most by far for remoulding
hankook are a good mid range tyre for your sort of work
moose

Moose:
Some remoulds will wear v well in the past we have had them do more than the original tyre but we have also had a lot blow off!!
pay your money and take the choice,due to high new tyre prices remoulds are now run on the third axle of an 8 wheeler or second axle on a 6 wheeler never on the front and try to keep them off the back as when they do blow off the lights will go as well and then any saving will also be gone!!
dont know anyone who would run michelin on site work as re bar wont be stopped by an expensive tyre what ever the rolling resistance is
if you put michelin on a mixer i dont think you would ever see any saving but a warn out mich casing will be worth the most by far for remoulding
moose

I went for good qulity remould.

The price of a mid range tyre like a hankooks was unreal!!! The price of Tyres are a complete joke!

mixer driver:

Moose:
moose

I went for good qulity remould.

The price of a mid range tyre like a hankooks was unreal!!! The price of Tyres are a complete joke!

This is a friend of mine who has been very successful in the Remix and Recap trade. No Bull.

alterever.com/?opt=0

Thru experience I run Bridgestone all round. But I am predomanantly on tarmac work. I had a set of remoulds once, drive tyres, on tanker work, they lasted 10 months!!! Never again.

I just had 112000km/14months with a set of Encore,s -michelin remoulds-on the drive axle of unit running at 44t general bulktipping and another set just gone on!

MR VAIN:
Thru experience I run Bridgestone all round. But I am predomanantly on tarmac work. I had a set of remoulds once, drive tyres, on tanker work, they lasted 10 months!!! Never again.

This is what happened to a bridgstone today ;-(

Got some Bridgestone drives just coming upto 250,000 km’s, as good as the Mich tyres fitted before and at 2/3 the price :sunglasses:

Denis F:

MR VAIN:

This is what happened to a bridgstone today ;-(

That wheel needs a good polishing. :laughing:

Sorry to see the blowout though, hope you got sorted out and didn’t loose any work over it.

Mungo:
I just had 112000km/14months with a set of Encore,s -michelin remoulds-on the drive axle of unit running at 44t general bulktipping and another set just gone on!

What sort of money do you pay for those? I have M729 (I think) Bridgestones on the drive of my unit and iirc they were just short of 300quid a tyre (plus VAT of course).

Paul

mixer driver:
The time has come for me to replace a few tires. With the times still being hard and the tyre prices gone through the roof, I don’t know if to pay the full wack on brand new Tyres or go with re-molds.

I drive a concrete mixer so Tyres get a liitle battered on sites so usually go for the hankooks.

Do re-molds last just as long as brand newies?

What’s peoples thoughts on re-molds and if anyone knows of any fgood (cheap) places I can get good re-molds or cheap brand newies?

Hi Mate,
Im an owner driver on mixers for 12 years and have found remoulds to be false economy. Put some decent new drive axle tyres on middle axle ( Regals £250 )and youll get two years out of them. Remoulds 12/15months at the most. Although remoulds have the same sizing, strangley the actual road contact width is much less, hence faster wear rate and cheaper rubber. I have a remould (cos there was nothing else in stock)and a Bridgestone next to each other on the back of mine and there must be 40/50mm difference.Look at the photo for same size tyre!

2011-03-31_10-12-34_627.jpg

I genrally go for bridgestones i wont use remoulds as there false economy i understand times are hard n people want to save money but its the tyres that are holding my 44t to the road so so i dont mind investing in desant ones the thing u need tilo ask is if remoulds or cheap tyres are any good y dont new trucks come. With them fitted

new trucks also come without
1.kelsa bars
2.extra spots
3.forktruck nob on s/wheel
4.bullfighting arrows in w/screen
5.plastic chain under bumper
6.pelmets/frilly curtians
yes i do take your point and i dont run remoulds myself, i sometimes fit them for a customers tho,just because your paying more for a premium tyre make does not always mean the mileage will be higher the type of work will be a major factor, i know someone on bulk tipper /brick and block work that gets better life out of hankook dh05s than bridgestone 729s on the drive axle and also better life out of hankook ah11s than bridgestone 297s on the steer, so it horses for courses i would say
moose

Moose:
new trucks also come without
1.kelsa bars
2.extra spots
3.forktruck nob on s/wheel
4.bullfighting arrows in w/screen
5.plastic chain under bumper
6.pelmets/frilly curtians
yes i do take your point and i dont run remoulds myself, i sometimes fit them for a customers tho,just because your paying more for a premium tyre make does not always mean the mileage will be higher the type of work will be a major factor, i know someone on bulk tipper /brick and block work that gets better life out of hankook dh05s than bridgestone 729s on the drive axle and also better life out of hankook ah11s than bridgestone 297s on the steer, so it horses for courses i would say
moose

For me, off road, muckaway or quarry work is going to give you more chance of getting a puncture, good tyres with lots of rubber and a good carcass do not puncture as easy as a part worn or scuffed tyre.

There are some heavy duty remixes and even Goodyear & Michelin offer these. A recap is generally a new tread moulded onto an old casing.

Unless you supplied the casing to recap or remix, how do you know how much abuse it had in its first or second life?

We use Bridgestone tyres on our 6 wheelers and artic unit all doing plant transport, dunno about the cost but they seem to cope well with the thrashing they get. Unfortunately due to one expensive tyre bill at MOT last year on one of them, one of the others (Guess which :cry: ) got a crappy Green Dragon Chinese job on the steer. This one tyre has transformed the ride quality from fairly bad to downright bloody awful and luckily is not looking like it will last anything like as long as the Bridgestone, hopefully it will last even less as I moved it to the nearside front today so that it will scrub out quicker.