New truck market 2013

You flatter me sir , but I shall try to explain a little better ! The eco stralis prevents you from switching from auto to semi auto mode therefore when you are driving it on cc at its top speed and you come across terrain that is unbecoming of that said truck maintaining that speed did it not occur that by knocking the cc off briefly and easing back a little so the truck sits comfortably ant a torque level that is more suited to a steady progress rather than the truck trying to maintain a speed it clearly can’t maintain so as you quite correctly said its up and down the box graining and losing momentum, like I tried to explain without trying to cause offence its up to us to educate ourselves in how each truck works to its optimum benefit , I hope this explains things a little better I really meant no offence and to be honest it was a demo you took out iveco should of spent 20 mins giving you a briefing on how to achieve the best and not just waved you off as you left your yard

Pimpdaddy:

newmercman:
FAIL. Most IVECO tractor units sold in England are made in Ulm, which was in Germany the last time I went there :laughing:

The multi axle rigids are made in Madrid, which isn’t in Italy either :blush:

To me it doesn’t matter where it’s assembled, fact is iveco is Italian (Turin) & very poor quality. Axors are built in Turkey apparently & Mercedes is German so you’d expect a good product but they are still [zb] motors… :slight_smile:

You wouldn’t know a ■■■■ lorry if it bit you on the arse :unamused: Axors are ■■■■, Scanias are ■■■■, day cabs are ■■■■, bit of a pattern emerging here :open_mouth:

Every single lorry on the road today is a Rolls Royce compared with even the best lorries on the road only 20yrs ago :open_mouth:

At that time a fleet truck like a high roof Axor with a 430hp engine would’ve sounded as far fetched as a Man from Mars, a 560hp Stralis would’ve been beyond the bounds of comprehension :open_mouth:

An Axor or Stralis may not be the most luxurious lorry around, but neither of them are ■■■■ :wink:

Fair enough, I didn’t drive trucks 20years ago so I can’t relate :frowning:
I live for today & to me axor/iveco is no good…

newmercman:

Pimpdaddy:

newmercman:
FAIL. Most IVECO tractor units sold in England are made in Ulm, which was in Germany the last time I went there :laughing:

To me it doesn’t matter where it’s assembled, fact is iveco is Italian (Turin) & very poor quality. Axors are built in Turkey apparently & Mercedes is German so you’d expect a good product but they are still [zb] motors… :slight_smile:

You wouldn’t know a [zb] lorry if it bit you on the arse :unamused: Axors are [zb], Scanias are [zb], day cabs are [zb], bit of a pattern emerging here :open_mouth:

Every single lorry on the road today is a Rolls Royce compared with even the best lorries on the road only 20yrs ago :open_mouth:

At that time a fleet truck like a high roof Axor with a 430hp engine would’ve sounded as far fetched as a Man from Mars, a 560hp Stralis would’ve been beyond the bounds of comprehension :open_mouth:

An Axor or Stralis may not be the most luxurious lorry around, but neither of them are [zb] :wink:

I like the Axor but no-one else seems to. In fact I had a 61 plate last night, 460 bluemotion or something or other. Auto with manual override. It went like a ■■■■■■■ rocket. :open_mouth: Only thing I’m not keen on with them is the seat is a bit hard and the indicator tick noise is the loudest I’ve ever heard in a truck :open_mouth: and they don’t tick in time with the actual indicator flashes as well which messes with my OCD! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

newmercman:

Pimpdaddy:

newmercman:

You wouldn’t know a [zb] lorry if it bit you on the arse :unamused: Axors are [zb], Scanias are [zb], day cabs are [zb], bit of a pattern emerging here :open_mouth:

An Axor or Stralis may not be the most luxurious lorry around, but neither of them are [zb] :wink:

At last a man with a true sense of perspective and never a truer word spoken I’m not that old but I remember when window winders were a luxury never mind two window wipers and you had to be double jointed to double d clutch and get a David brown 6 speed in top , yes these old trucks would do 70mph but you try stopping them !!!

Rob K:
I like the Axor but no-one else seems to. In fact I had a 61 plate last night, 460 bluemotion or something or other. Auto with manual override. It went like a [zb] rocket. :open_mouth: Only thing I’m not keen on with them is the seat is a bit hard and the indicator tick noise is the loudest I’ve ever heard in a truck :open_mouth: and they don’t tick in time with the actual indicator flashes as well which messes with my OCD! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

Ill agree with Rob,the Axor isn’t a bad truck :open_mouth:
I’ve got no complaints about the seat though, could do with a smidgen more leg room though :wink:

Pimpdaddy:
Fair enough, I didn’t drive trucks 20years ago so I can’t relate :frowning:
I live for today & to me axor/iveco is no good…

I’m not that old, my first artic was (briefly) a 1979 T regv2800 Daf, daycab with a fold down bunk and the nastiest gearbox I’ve ever used, at the time I would’ve driven it for free, I loved it, but it was a piece of junk really, I would hear drivers moaning that their brand new FL10 was too small for a night out, I would’ve given my right arm for a bunk and a synchromesh gearbox.

If I moaned about that Daf to my Dad he would’ve clipped me round the ear and given me the “board from the window sill to the engine hump” lecture, it’s a generation thing :wink:

Lol, oldest truck I drove was a ERF ECX for lynx express (ups) & the old Volvo fl rigid, you’re right they were heaps of ■■■■ but i much prefer them to axors…

Pimpdaddy:
Lol, oldest truck I drove was a ERF ECX for lynx express (ups) & the old Volvo fl rigid, you’re right they were heaps of [zb] but i much prefer them to axors…

Can’t win with you can I :laughing:

Nothing to win drive, I know a ■■■■ motor when I see one…!:slight_smile:

Rob K:
, try driving your current artic like that where you can’t go above 1450 or below 1150 rpm.

I just did, easy :wink:

switchlogic:

Rob K:
, try driving your current artic like that where you can’t go above 1450 or below 1150 rpm.

Oh no not again I’m not getting involved :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

gickniff:

switchlogic:

Rob K:

Oh no not again I’m not getting involved :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I was just jesting really. And to be fair my lorry isn’t an Eco Stralis and pretty much stays in that narrow band of its own accord

Rob K:

robroy:

Rob K:
Very annoying to see Iveco gaining pace. :angry: I had a Stralis 460 ECO model this week and it is without a doubt the worst truck on the road today. :angry:

I’ve not driven a modern Iveco yet so I can’t really comment , but I don’t think that there is actually a “bad truck” on the road today, it’s more like that drivers and operators today are more discerning, and expect higher standards in quality and comfort, and rightly so.
It’s definitely not like the old days when you could buy a British motor with 60s technology or a Swedish motor which was worlds apart, then there WAS a good and bad motor situation going on. Today you get some drivers slagging off a motor as “bad” if it has fewer features or inferior curtains, or a less padded bunk or something :unamused: , it’s just that some trucks are better than others today, as standards have improved vastly over the last 10 to 15 years or so.

Comfort and space wise they are absolutely fine, although not to my personal taste but they’re certainly not a bad truck in that respect. It’s how they drive that’s my gripe with them. Every option has been disabled so you have no manual override at all and because they’re the eco model the entire rev range has been disabled except for 300 rpm between 1150 and 1450 (yes I’m being serious). If revs drop below 1150 it changes down, if you try to go above 1450 it changes up. Now couple that with Iveco’s slow gear changes, a 26 tonne trailer and a some inclines and watch your blood pressure rise. If you’re still not “seeing” what is so utterly utterly annoying about this, try driving your current artic like that where you can’t go above 1450 or below 1150 rpm.

Rob describes it so well. All he says is true!

The short version of Rob’s reasoning is ‘they’re a badly engineered pile of ■■■■■■ :grimacing:

Pimpdaddy:
Nothing to win drive, I know a [zb] motor when I see one…!:slight_smile:

Lol

Pimpdaddy:
Lol, oldest truck I drove was a ERF ECX for lynx express (ups) & the old Volvo fl rigid, you’re right they were heaps of [zb] but i much prefer them to axors…

An ERF E series was not a heap of ■■■■, it was a modern truck of it’s time where you had to be a driver not a steerer to drive it, you can’t compare any product from 20 odd years ago to a present day product and write it off as a heap of ■■■■. :unamused:

Personally I think they were good, better than axor but I thought most would disagree…

robroy:

Pimpdaddy:

An ERF E series was not a heap of [zb], it was a modern truck of it’s time where you had to be a driver not a steerer to drive it, you can’t compare any product from 20 odd years ago to a present day product and write it off as a heap of [zb]. :unamused:

Compare an ERF to a Volvo or Scania of the time and the ERF was cheap and nasty.

They went ok with a 290+ ■■■■■■■ in them and any decent driver will have enjoyed the Twin Splitter, but the interior was very poor quality.

ERF, Foden, Leyland and Seddon Atkinson were all second rate lorries as soon as the foreign lorries arrived in our shores…

newmercman:

robroy:

Pimpdaddy:

An ERF E series was not a heap of [zb], it was a modern truck of it’s time where you had to be a driver not a steerer to drive it, you can’t compare any product from 20 odd years ago to a present day product and write it off as a heap of [zb]. :unamused:

Compare an ERF to a Volvo or Scania of the time and the ERF was cheap and nasty.

They went ok with a 290+ ■■■■■■■ in them and any decent driver will have enjoyed the Twin Splitter, but the interior was very poor quality.

ERF, Foden, Leyland and Seddon Atkinson were all second rate lorries as soon as the foreign lorries arrived in our shores…

I agree with the comparison to the Euro motors, but still think an ERF could never be described as a heap of ■■■■, they were a good hard truck which could take a lot of abuse, and having owned a few in the past, the redeeming feature to the poorer quality interior, inferior ride etc, was that the price of parts in most cases were up to 50% cheaper.

robroy:
An ERF E series…it was a modern truck of it’s time

Thats two things I never thought’d I’d see in the same sentence. ERFs were never modern and the E series was crap!