New truck market 2013

And that’s a very good point Rob. Each gearchange costs momentum…but if Volvo ever bring out their dual-clutch transmission I suspect that it will be shifting constantly, and it won’t matter because the next gear is always pre-engaged.

How would your Iveco fare with a half-laden tanker on the back?

tango boy:

gickniff:

Rob K:
Very annoying to see Iveco gaining pace. :angry: I had a Stralis 460 ECO model this week and it is without a doubt the worst truck on the road today. :angry:

Why what was the problem with it , I’ve been looking at a few of the latest trucks available lately ,new fh ,actros, G & R cabbed scanias & new xf and the new iveco is up there with all of them ! Its a huge improvement on its previous model which in all fairness was well up to the job any way it just lacked any of the fineness of its contemporaries .

ZZ TOP Looks happy in his Iveco Nick :smiley:

Like a pig in ■■■ Tim! Literally!!!

Rob K:

GasGas:
Cheers for that Rob,

So basically it is the Eco feature that ruins it for you.

With all the gearchanges, is there any extra fuel saving?

I am doubtful and I can’t see how it can. Because it won’t hold a lower gear when climbing somewhere like Windy Hill it is constantly changing up and down between 10th and 11th all the way up and will change between 10-15 times throughout the climb. Given that you will lose speed each time it changes then how does that possibly save fuel over just holding it in 10th at say 1700-1800rpm until the incline starts to level off? It’s pointless it changing into 11th because after changing it’s down at 1150rpm and the truck simply doesn’t have enough power - and more importantly - torque at that rpm to pull itself up.

Compare these to say an FM/FH or current auto DAF or Renault and you can see the difference straight away as all these are intelligent enough to hold a lower gear at higher revs even in full auto mode. In short the Stralis’ are [zb] and have been designed by monkeys that don’t have to drive them.

I’ll tell you where you’re going wrong, if it’s constantly changing from 10th to 11th and back again, take your foot out of it so it holds it in 10th. It’s a lorry not a dragster ffs.

That’s the eco part of it working, for max mpg you should always go up a hill in a gear that would allow you to accelerate if you floored the loud pedal.

It may go up the hill a little faster too, as all that gear changing is losing you momentum.

Flat to the mat is not always the best method to maximising journey times in a lorry. :bulb:

Manufacturers spend millions developing these things but I’m afraid it comes back to the same thing , “you can’t educate pork”

^^^not biased at all^^^ :laughing:

newmercman:

Rob K:

GasGas:
Cheers for that Rob,

I am doubtful and I can’t see how it can. Because it won’t hold a lower gear when climbing somewhere like Windy Hill it is constantly changing up and down between 10th and 11th all the way up and will change between 10-15 times throughout the climb. Given that you will lose speed each time it changes then how does that possibly save fuel over just holding it in 10th at say 1700-1800rpm until the incline starts to level off? It’s pointless it changing into 11th because after changing it’s down at 1150rpm and the truck simply doesn’t have enough power - and more importantly - torque at that rpm to pull itself up.

Compare these to say an FM/FH or current auto DAF or Renault and you can see the difference straight away as all these are intelligent enough to hold a lower gear at higher revs even in full auto mode. In short the Stralis’ are [zb] and have been designed by monkeys that don’t have to drive them.

I’ll tell you where you’re going wrong, if it’s constantly changing from 10th to 11th and back again, take your foot out of it so it holds it in 10th. It’s a lorry not a dragster ffs.

That’s the eco part of it working, for max mpg you should always go up a hill in a gear that would allow you to accelerate if you floored the loud pedal.

It may go up the hill a little faster too, as all that gear changing is losing you momentum.

Flat to the mat is not always the best method to maximising journey times in a lorry. :bulb:

THAT is exactly what I’ve started doing to get round it but it defeats the whole point of setting the CC and letting it get on with it. Also, when the road has a lot of peaks and troughs it’s not that easy to keep it within the 300 rpm band as when you start braking to hold the speed down it changes down itself for increased engine braking, so you’re constantly fighting an automatic system. In short, they’re a piece of crap.

Yeah, I couldn’t be dealing with that at all. Don’t tell me how to drive my motor! Suppose IF it does save fuel it’ll be a gaffers motor but at the expense of driver fatigue by the sounds of it. Driving a gutless motor which lags up hills is a hell of a lot more tiring than floating over it in your V8 Scania, believe.

I do think Iveco have raised their game with the new one but then I think they had a long way to go, not that I’ve set in it or driven it yet but just from Internet perception.

Rob K:

newmercman:

Rob K:

GasGas:
Cheers for that Rob,

THAT is exactly what I’ve started doing to get round it but it defeats the whole point of setting the CC and letting it get on with it. Also, when the road has a lot of peaks and troughs it’s not that easy to keep it within the 300 rpm band as when you start braking to hold the speed down it changes down itself for increased engine braking, so you’re constantly fighting an automatic system. In short, they’re a piece of crap.

I’m sorry but I have to echo previous comments its not the fault of the truck ,its been designed to run at its most efficient and its up to us to adjust our style of driving to facilitate this to the best , the days of the 180 Gardner and 365 ■■■■■■■ have gone , its all in the bottom end of the rev range now and if it won’t hold the next gear you have to back off a little until it becomes apparent it will , yes I’m afraid they are gaffers motors now but only to provide an economical platform to help sustain business.

Gickniff The voice of reason !!!

I’m not biased but some of the blame must lie at the doors of the dealers, fleet owners and driver trainers not educating the driver to attain the optimum from the vehicle.

The driver style in one brand may not suit the others within the fleet , I little bit of education can go a long way and be a very sound investment.

Iveco are there own worst enemy and don’t promote the positives strongly enough ,if it was a Scania nothing would be said but hey ho it’s a Fiat and must be junk !

We ve recently put a 500 stralis on fleet expecting The fuel to be worse than our 450’s when in fact it has turned out to be better ,this is down to the driver using the power properly and not abusing it.

We run a fleet of 25 which has included Merc , Volvo Renault and Iveco (could
never afford a Scania or see the point ) and I know which cause me the least problems.

Stralisnumerouno:

I’m not biased but some of the blame must lie at the doors of the dealers, fleet owners and driver trainers not educating the driver to attain the optimum from the vehicle.

The driver style in one brand may not suit the others within the fleet , I little bit of education can go a long way and be a very sound investment.

Iveco are there own worst enemy and don’t promote the positives strongly enough ,if it was a Scania nothing would be said but hey ho it’s a Fiat and must be junk !

We ve recently put a 500 stralis on fleet expecting The fuel to be worse than our 450’s when in fact it has turned out to be better ,this is down to the driver using the power properly and not abusing it.

never afford a Scania or see the point ) and I know which cause me the least problems.

It’s nothing to do with “driver education” at all. :unamused: I can honestly say that I’ve beaten the mpg every time by driving them manually and without using CC over the company’s insistence that you are just a clueless steering wheel attendant and must leave them in auto mode and use CC all the time. So much for “fuel saving” by disabling everything then eh. :unamused:

Pity we don’t have the Italian sales chart,never see an Italian in an Iveco but I am sure they must buy them.The most sales must go to the Spanish,trundling up and down
almost every Iveco is wearing Spanish plates,probably cheap.

Rob K:

Stralisnumerouno:

It’s nothing to do with “driver education” at all. :unamused: I can honestly say that I’ve beaten the mpg every time by driving them manually and without using CC over the company’s insistence that you are just a clueless steering wheel attendant and must leave them in auto mode and use CC all the time. So much for “fuel saving” by disabling everything then eh. :unamused:

That’s the whole point of driver education you shouldn’t leave in auto and let the truck drive its self, the reason truck manufacture’s developed auto boxes wasn’t to create rev and rip trucks it was to prolong clutch and gearbox life spans a good driver will mainly drive in semi mode as they can read the environment they are operating in 100% better than the trucks computer ! After all the computer just reacts to the pressure being exerted upon the throttle and the torque being stressed upon the engine, if your telling the computer you want to travel up a hill flat out (56mpg) in cc and leave it in auto it’ll behave accordingly, better to knock off the cc and ease back so your just using the torque and momentum available, nobody likes to be told how to drive (that included me until recently) but sometimes old dogs are forced to learn new tricks in order to survive.

gickniff:

Rob K:

Stralisnumerouno:

That’s the whole point of driver education you shouldn’t leave in auto and let the truck drive its self, the reason truck manufacture’s developed auto boxes wasn’t to create rev and rip trucks it was to prolong clutch and gearbox life spans a good driver will mainly drive in semi mode as they can read the environment they are operating in 100% better than the trucks computer ! After all the computer just reacts to the pressure being exerted upon the throttle and the torque being stressed upon the engine, if your telling the computer you want to travel up a hill flat out (56mpg) in cc and leave it in auto it’ll behave accordingly, better to knock off the cc and ease back so your just using the torque and momentum available, nobody likes to be told how to drive (that included me until recently) but sometimes old dogs are forced to learn new tricks in order to survive.

Did you not read what I wrote? :unamused:

Rob K:
Very annoying to see Iveco gaining pace. :angry: I had a Stralis 460 ECO model this week and it is without a doubt the worst truck on the road today. :angry:

Cheap Italian ■■■■■■■

Rob K:

newmercman:

Rob K:

GasGas:
Cheers for that Rob,

Yes rob k with all due respect I believe I have read everything that you wrote including this post I’m quoting which suggests you were fighting the truck rather than working with it.

Pimpdaddy:

Rob K:

Cheap Italian [zb]…!

I dunno, I drove a 61 plate 26t Stralis and quite liked it, though I wasn’t overly keen on the push button gears…

Drove it once around the yard, handed the keys back, never driven anything with a iveco badge ever since… :slight_smile:

Pimpdaddy:

Rob K:

Cheap Italian [zb]…!

FAIL. Most IVECO tractor units sold in England are made in Ulm, which was in Germany the last time I went there :laughing:

The multi axle rigids are made in Madrid, which isn’t in Italy either :blush:

gickniff:

Rob K:

newmercman:

Rob K:

GasGas:
Cheers for that Rob,

Yes rob k with all due respect I believe I have read everything that you wrote including this post I’m quoting which suggests you were fighting the truck rather than working with it.

giffnick:
That’s the whole point of driver education you shouldn’t leave it in auto

So ye of all knowledge and with all the answers, explain to me then how you would not leave a full auto truck in auto mode? This should be good… :unamused:

newmercman:
FAIL. Most IVECO tractor units sold in England are made in Ulm, which was in Germany the last time I went there :laughing:

The multi axle rigids are made in Madrid, which isn’t in Italy either :blush:

To me it doesn’t matter where it’s assembled, fact is iveco is Italian (Turin) & very poor quality. Axors are built in Turkey apparently & Mercedes is German so you’d expect a good product but they are still ■■■■ motors… :slight_smile: