New to Felixstowe come Monday

I start with Maritime on containers Monday and having done fridge work for the last five years, I was hoping some of you could give me any pointers, on what to do, not to do and just a brief explanation of how the system works, from driving through the gate to coming out again. I know I’ll get some training etc, but wanted to get a bit of a head start.
Cheers

need a rhides card and not sure about containers but you may also need a dock pass card(I know i do when going on there but then i go on as a fitter not as a driver)
and if you park on BP services dont forget to stick your reg number on the thingy in the shop when doing a 45 mins or if at night dont forget to pay and dont go over the lines or park outside a bay.same if parking anywhere on the double yellows you will get a little hitler after you trying to get some cash out of you…
oh yeah take either a good few books and drinks/food as well as laptop especially if someone ■■■■■ round here they shut the port very quickly and you end up like naughty school boys or gilrs on the old A14 levington road

now someone will shoot me down for getting something wrong but…

As you come thru gate two come to the island and take a left. Follow that road, until you come to the next island where you will hang a right. The pass office is just behind the police station on the left on that road. (You used to be able to park up behind there but cant anymore apparently :imp: :imp: )
Come back out the way you came in, back to the first island. Marmite will or should book your vbs for you. From what I hear, its now 5minutes leeway either side if going in early, but up to 30mins on the late side (e.g. 09:00-10:00 means the earliest you can go in is 08:55). Now your back at the first island you came in at. Well go straight across and the you will see the opening into the dock ingate on the left. Empty skellies stick to the right and box in’s go to the left. Pull up behind the shortest queue, hop out and undo your twist locks. Keep pulling forward until your under the canopy. Get out again (make sure you take your rhides card with you, unlike a certain someone :blush: ) a guy will appear at the back with a notepad (no he isnt a spotter) who will write down your box number and details, give him your vbs number. Take the paper and your rhides into the little hut. Hand over the piece of paper to the guy behind the counter and stick your card into the hole by the machine. Scan your hand like you did when you got the card. You will then (based on a box in and box out situation) be given two pieces of paper, sign your box in.

At this point , ask the guy behind the counter for a map as its your first time down there. A lot is said about Felixstowe but to be honest I actually found them really helpful my first time down there. So much so that they drew on the map where I had to drop the empty and pick up my loaded box from.

Top left hand corner of your paper work they gave you will have a code, for example H-123. Get back in your cab and head off to that point. Normally when i did a box in, its drive straight out from the canopy, up to the junction at the end. Turn right and then follow that road until you find the sign that says your location. Park yourself across the bay (H-123) with your front twistlocks above the front line. They crane will then come and sit above your box. They say because of the height that you have to manoeuvre yourself to make it fit, personally I just think they are too lazy but anyway. Once they have lifted your empty off then head over to your load box area. Its the same procedure, paper work will give you a code (e.g. D-456), park yourself over that box. Crane will come and lower it, normally stopping about 4 inches above the pins (during this I normally pop me head out the window and insure they have the correct box). Again its up to you to manoeuvre your trailer so the box fits correct. Pull away from there and head to the outgate. If theres a queue then do your twists whilst you wait. Pull under the canopy, hop out with the box out paperwork. The guy at the back will ask for the job number of the paperwork. Head into the little hut again, sign for the box out and he will give you a gate pass. Drive out from the canopy turn right in front of the fence, up to the road turn left, straight over the island (as one as you came in at) hand over the gate pass, they will check it and then its see you later.

I know all the above seems like a lot. From personal experience the second time you go down then you will be well away.
Oh and as for rules… unfortunately tugs have right of way.
Ive only been something like 6 times so far, worse Ive been there is something like 45mins from gate in to gate out, mind that was a Friday afternoon.

EDIT
:bulb: You wont need to head to the pass office each time you go in by the way.
:bulb: Marmite :laughing: should provide you with a email or something similar to show your on the system as a driver for them
:bulb: If you need to shorten or lengthen your trailer then (I dont know if this is right or wrong) I normally head to the THA (Temporary Holding Area) which after you come IN to the docks from under the canopy turn right at the T-junction and its up there on the right hand side

EDIT EDIT
Amended thanks to andi-cardiff

^^^ great info there, though just as you thought only a slight correction, the 5 minute rule applies when coming in early, but the 30 minutes late is still going! :grimacing:

andi_cardiff:
^^^ great info there, though just as you thought only a slight correction, the 5 minute rule applies when coming in early, but the 30 minutes late is still going! :grimacing:

Will amend thanks mate. Hope that is right now?

god i miss containers :blush: :blush: :blush:

REPLICANT:
I start with Maritime on containers Monday and having done fridge work for the last five years, I was hoping some of you could give me any pointers, on what to do, not to do and just a brief explanation of how the system works, from driving through the gate to coming out again. I know I’ll get some training etc, but wanted to get a bit of a head start.
Cheers

take your drivers licence with you as you wont get a rhides card dont park in bp as you get a clamp no parking on the docks otherwise you eciolop banging at your door oh yes it not in or out

tonka236:

andi_cardiff:

Will amend thanks mate. Hope that is right now?

god i miss containers :blush: :blush: :blush:

It might also be worth getting yourself a temporay gate pass as you enter the dock at the security hut just in case you have a problem with the container you are taking off. I got caught out before when I went in to drop one off but the container I had was not added to the VBS I had been given, was unable to contact my office and unable to leave the port due to the port police wanting a fax from my office with every little detail about me, my vehicle and my load.

and dont go to fast on the dock spur roundabout as lorrys fall over if you go to fast…cant miss the roundabout at the moment as theres plenty of cones about and big machines which dont seem to move much.you will see why lorrys fall over as roundabout lays the wrong way…

Thanks to you all for the advice. I must say, that there seems to be alot to take on board (no pun intended) but where I used to work, various drivers have said it’s nothing once you do it a few times. Just don’t wana end up looking a ■■■■ in front of everyone!

REPLICANT:
where I used to work, various drivers have said it’s nothing once you do it a few times

^^THIS^^ is so very true. Imagine the worse and you should be pleasantly surprised. First time I went down I had one of the ex drivers to talk me thru it, however tbh it was pure logical thinking that got me there.
Pointed out to the guy in the hut on the ingate that it was my first time, he gave me the map and highlighted the route for me. From the in gate to the box off-box on- outgate. Thats why I say ask him for a map as its your first time.
Once you get the first one out the way and break the back of it, you will be fine and be offering advice on here for another newbie

stick too fridges stuff all that hassle :laughing:

Good luck with the job fella keep us posted how your getting on there

good luck with the job fella i have met the guy who does the training he seems a decent guy keep us posted how your doing