New stead for a week!

Ok folks am now slumming it official lol ,
just got this(below) nice truck to look at , not so sure inside , its a 07 plate , and the trims broke and ratteling already ! and i think stevie wonder desinged the dash , VERY bright , and to be honest a bit crowded ?

The 3 buttons for gear changing is a bit strange , but i suppose a sign of the times, maybe it will grow on me , i only done a very local as it came late in the afternoon , so will find out more as i go , how does everyone else rate them? have they improved from the old euro tech or still the same ?

you away in it then falmonk?, got a intrest in thses stralis let us know how you get on after a week in it?

A company who I do a lot of agency work for,have about 40% of these on their fleet,and they range from 52 plate to 05 plate,and one of their drivers and I,were discussing them yesterday.

How come they are the only 6x2 vehicle on the market,where you can’t lift the centre axle? Yes I know they are twin steer,but so was the XF Daf,and the centre axle could be lifted on those,in the same way the Mercs can.Lifting the centre axle when loaded and travelling on wet surfaces,forces more weight onto the rear axle,thereby giving better traction.

And what about that silly polystyrene seat back,that is supposed to be a sort of seat,on the n/s of the cab? It’s nearly as bad as the old Renault Premium solo cab,that had the seat cushion that tried to make the bunk look like a setee.What the hell are these guys thinking of? :open_mouth:

And the controls on the steering wheel? While I’m all for road safety,you need a degree to work them out,and you spend more time looking at the dashboard,to see what you’ve selected.

And who the hell makes both sets of horns work together on the one push? I know for the mot in this country,you are supposed to have a standard horn,but why not do what Volvo did,and have them on seperate push buttons on the steering wheel like the mk1 FH?

I’m sorry,but for me,any vehicle that comes out of Italy,should be turned away at the port. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Use the Menu switch on the steering wheel to access the brightness control for the dashlights. Don’t ask me how it’s done, cos our kid had to do mine. All I know is the engine has to be off to do it.

Also the switch below the Neutral is a pto switch. (A its a stupid place to put it, between the sunshade and the sunroof), but if you switch it by accident - easily done - you will run on reduced power. There’s no dash light to tell you its on, only a code in the panel underneath the radio station. (BBCR2 in your photo.) Can’t remember the code at the moment.

Steering wheel adjustment button is on the floor just infront of the steering column.

Horns can be switched to either standard, or both air and standard.

Some models do have a lifting midaxle. Mine* does. 07 plate 500 euro 4, So do our 55 plate 480’s but not the 56 plate 430.

Hope this helps

• Not actually mine, as I’m only babysitting it till it’s regular driver gets back to work, then I’ll get my ERF back :imp:

Like I say Kate,the observations that I have pointed out,are on models given between the dates of the ones my agency’s customer have,listed above.

It may be that our European spaghetti friends,have been listening to their customers,and made changes on newer varieties,although if the 430’s haven’t got the lifting axle,then I doubt it. (But why not■■?)

Ken.

Quinny:
Like I say Kate,the observations that I have pointed out,are on models given between the dates of the ones my agency’s customer have,listed above.

It may be that our European spaghetti friends,have been listening to their customers,and **made changes on newer varieties,**although if the 430’s haven’t got the lifting axle,then I doubt it. (But why not■■?)

Ken.

You could be right there Ken, but you still have to tilt the cab to get to the dipstick and oil filler. :unamused: :unamused:

wirralpete:
you away in it then falmonk?, got a intrest in thses stralis let us know how you get on after a week in it?

Nope sorry mate , i very rarely do i do overnighters! ,
just meaning around the doors i it for a week ,

Just a quick point it does have a “mid lift” so maybe a standard fit on the latest models?

Had an 03 one of these a couple of weeks ago on hire. There is a switch for the mid-axle which reduces the air pressure to improve traction on the drive axle, but I didn’t really have chance to test it.

I loved it - much more stable than my Actros in a straight line and round corners. As usual with hired ones there was no book and several strange switches I couldn’t identify, and the streering adjuster button on the floor was a pain. Easy to press while driving since your feet have nothing else to do on the motorway! I worked out most of the steering wheel buttons and to be honest a lot of what’s on there you don’t need when you’re driving anyway.

Just my humble (but perfectly formed) opinion :wink:

Well that was a short week !, got told to drop unit its going back monday !
All in all , a nice truck , i think if it was one driver only and keeping no more that 5 years , it would be a good truck to have , a couple of silly things , no where to put your paper work, no where to put a 1.5-2lt (except in the fridge) but i mean just at hand
But yes i could live with it ,esp if 500bhp, the auto takes a bit of getting used ,but when you do its a half decent truck!

I’m sorry,but for me,any vehicle that comes out of Italy,should be turned away at the port.

I thought some were made in germany?

Quinny:
any vehicle that comes out of Italy,should be turned away at the port. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Behave!! What about Ducati & Ferrari■■?