New safe loading design in double deck trailers

Is going to be trailed by TPN members. The trailers made by Montrecon have been given the green light by the RHA and Enforcement Agency’s. I don’t know how to put links up on here but if you go onto the RHA website you will see more on the subject including a couple of pictures.
What do people think on here especially the night trunk lads who do pallet network runs? Is it another case of people who sit behind a desk and come up with ideas who actually haven’t got a clue or could it actually work?
If it gets the green light then no doubt every haulier who do haulage to and from pallet hubs will have to have the design integrated into all of their double deck trailers. I saw some pictures of a trailer loaded with pallets and the secure system in place but as usuall they decided to use pallets all of the same length and height on both sides of the trailer :unamused: how often do you get pallets of the same size,length and even weight loaded against each other when you have loaded at a hub? It’s all a mix of different sizes etc.
Considering VOSA or whoever they are called now have agreed to it then surely they should put statement out saying so before hauliers agree to use these trailers?
IMO they’re similar to the trailers that brewery company’s use or could someone on here if they are different?

fleetnews.co.uk/news/2014/4/ … ets/52276/

Rhythm Thief:
RHA produces DVSA-agreed guide to safe loading of pallets

Cheers mate :smiley:

Anything that takes more time and faffing about to increase the old wage packet gets the thumbs up from me… eh oh and road safety of course.
I spend more time up me curtain than behind the wheel, sure I need Hi Viz trousers.

Problem is, what happens when all the enchanced safety features are expected to be carried out on “salaried” time?

10 hours becomes 11 hours per day for the same money I’m suggesting… :slight_smile:

I wonder how much longer it will be until the only drivers being paid “by the hour” are agency ones… :unamused:

Or maybe it’s a case that drivers will now have to do what they should have been doing anyway.

Shame on the RHA all this no pictures and where were they when we argued about the DCPC being a waste of time in the format they’ve (DVSA)( jaupt) set out… as usual RHA is for company’s and not interested in what the driver has to say…

cav551:
Or maybe it’s a case that drivers will now have to do what they should have been doing anyway.

How were it to make a Poll asking how many Driver got f**ked for doing it?
I think it were cheaper to put old Drivers on acceptical Pay to the Docks,loading Trailers.

I hate the way it’s described a ‘a pressing and important’ issue. There’s no evidence load security of palletised goods in curtainsiders is an issue that needed addressing at all it’s entirely a figment of VOSA’s imagination, I guess to justify their existence.

The pressing and important issue is accidents involving cyclists and if time, energy and most importantly money is going to be invested in new equipment it should be there. Instead a pointless agenda is being pursued that actually endangers the personal safety of lorry drivers.

It doesn’t matter how much high-vis is worn the most dangerous place for drivers, and where most accidents occur, is yards where forklifts are operating and other vehicles are reversing and in a total subversion of genuinely safe working practices drivers are being forced, through threats of fines, to expose themselves to increased danger there.

Winseer:
Problem is, what happens when all the enchanced safety features are expected to be carried out on “salaried” time?

10 hours becomes 11 hours per day for the same money I’m suggesting… :slight_smile:

I wonder how much longer it will be until the only drivers being paid “by the hour” are agency ones… :unamused:

Don’t strap it :sunglasses:

Have you not heard of exemption 23.7.98.34 which relates to those who are salaried or paid a jday rate don’t need to secure their load.

Thread is worthless without pics.

Left hand down!:
Thread is worthless without pics.

No probs

csi-2cs_large.jpg

Probably involve putting something like this or the higher rated ratchet strap type over something then pulling it down a bit, might even be a seperate internal curtain with bigger types of these attached and some form of over/under technique. At some point you will be pulling down on a few of these or something similar, unless a forklifts drove over it in which case shout ‘bollox’ and grab another one.

Or could be longer ones or some complex hybrid sytem, who’s knows, sounds loads of fun though.

curtain things.jpg

Hmm it seems to be a copy of what the beer companies do, ie. internal net/sheet thingymabob. It appears to be separate to the actual external curtains in the images posted. The issue I foresee is not being able to pull it forwards across the load if you get any tall pallets on the top deck, which is common as they are often the lighter ones. This is a current issue as the strap rail is recessed from the roof edge, thus causing the straps to get stuck in between the pallets and it is virtually impossible to ‘flick’ the strap up to get it to clear the top corners of the tallest pallets. I’m not seeing how this ‘new’ system will change that and as it still appears to be roof mounted then it’s not really doing anything different from the current roof mounted strap system, sans sheet. :confused:

Also, looking at the last image it appears that the upper straps fold under the edge of the top deck behind a rail and then downwards to the chassis, so not only would you have to work with the top pallets trapping the strap but if you have tall ones on the bottom deck as well you will have a nightmare of a time trying to work the straps past them all.

Its does seem that solution for keeping in VOSA’S good books about a curtain is not load bearing is to have another curtain with more straps on it all attached to roof, which if I’m not mistaken is the same roof the outer curtain is attached to.
Just think of the tangles…

I’m all for load safety and palletised goods can be a pain as care has to be taken not to bugger up the load, why not just go the whole hog and have trailers with roller shutter doors (load rated of course).

Got my trailer number the other morning, its was stupid o’■■■■ and I was looking forward to getting up the curtains with my little torch and really making a meal of it with the internal straps when the buggers pulled a fast one and it was fridge trailer, I was gutted.