New registration plates in France?

Saw several cars last week in France with a new type of registration plate,first two letters AA then three numbers and then another two letters.
On the right side of the plate is a symbol and the department number.

When was this introduced,and why?

I think the main reason it has been introduced is to remove the need to re register the vehicle if the owner moves from one département to another as was previously the case.
They were also probably running out of letter/number combinations and had to come up with a new system, as happened in the UK a few years ago.
As I understand it, the owner of the car can decide which département it is to be registered in and this registration plate stays permanently on the vehicle.

See HERE for more info.

The new plates came in on 1 June,the number stays with the car for life, not as before if you bought a car registered in 01 and lived in 22 the number would have to have had to be changed to 22. The feeling here is this the start of a national computer system and soon there will be a vignette system where we will have to pay road tax which was abolished in 2000.
Recession ? what recession,I have never seen so many new cars in the space of 3 weeks.

kerbut a question s’il vous plait :smiley:
i know they start at AA then obviously progress through the alphabet but i saw a car last week and it was either NN MM or WW :question:
is that some sort of government plate

welshboyinspain:
i know they start at AA then obviously progress through the alphabet but i saw a car last week and it was either NN MM or WW :question:

According to THIS , WW is an import/export plate.

welshboyinspain:

WW or just W were (are ? ) a trade plate ,when I bought my car new 3 years ago it had a ww on it (the garage charge a fee for the use of it ) until it received its proper number. I would suspect ,if its as it was before the change that just a number is the flic, military or the DDE.
Things have moved on as yesterday I overtook an AB.

Inselaffe:

welshboyinspain:

this is true, as my car which i had reg’d in france, was wk 195 24 the last 2 numbers are the area code i believe,

Trucker beads:

Inselaffe:

welshboyinspain:

this is true, as my car which i had reg’d in france, was wk 195 24 the last 2 numbers are the area code i believe,

Sure its not 195 WK 24 ?

kerbut:

Trucker beads:

Inselaffe:

welshboyinspain:

Sure its not 195 WK 24 ?

That would be right my mistake :blush: :blush: :blush: