New Driver - Step1

Hello all,
Stage 1 of getting my full LGV license is underway. I had my medical today with Doctors On Wheels and have posted off my completed D2, D4 and old license (photo-card and paper counterpart).

Fingers crossed all will be OK and my new photo-card, complete with provisional LGV entitlement, will come back quickly.

Thanks for the great forums, I’m sure I’ll be on here more often over the coming weeks, months and hopefully years :slight_smile:

BTW I’m 47 and hoping this will be the start of a new career, seeing me through to retirement and possibly beyond!

Did you also tick D on the D2 form so you get the free D provisional?

Yes ROG, thanks to these forums.

I ticked ‘C’ for First provisional entitlement and ‘D’ for Additional provisional entitlement.

I’ve already got C1 & C1E on my license, since I passed it back in '85 :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum. Fire away with any questions you may have.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

When it does come back start looking at your CPC hours, either incorporate into your training or find somewhere that you can attend. 35hrs is a lot of time to fit in! But you need it before can drive commercially.

Best of luck on your new journey

Cheers Pete and dcgpx. I’m not currently working, so hoping to fit everything in as soon as practicably possible.

dcgpx:
When it does come back start looking at your CPC hours, either incorporate into your training or find somewhere that you can attend. 35hrs is a lot of time to fit in! But you need it before can drive commercially.

Many schools have their C and CE courses approved for dcpc hours

If you can find a school that has them approved then doing 2 to 1 all day training for 5 days will get you 28 of the 35 hours on the C course :smiley:

ROG:

dcgpx:

Many schools have their C and CE courses approved for dcpc hours

If you can find a school that has them approved then doing 2 to 1 all day training for 5 days will get you 28 of the 35 hours on the C course :smiley:

Bloody hell all this CPC stuff is confusing the carp out of me! Could someone explain this in idiot terms for me please? Particularly the bit about about it being counted in the C and C+E training. Cheers!

I just got my provisional back last Friday ( took less than a week to come back, result!) I didn’t know about ticking D, but still got D and DE prov anyway. Cool beans!

Grovesy:
Hello all,
Stage 1 of getting my full LGV license is underway. I had my medical today with Doctors On Wheels and have posted off my completed D2, D4 and old license (photo-card and paper counterpart).

Fingers crossed all will be OK and my new photo-card, complete with provisional LGV entitlement, will come back quickly.

Thanks for the great forums, I’m sure I’ll be on here more often over the coming weeks, months and hopefully years :slight_smile:

BTW I’m 47 and hoping this will be the start of a new career, seeing me through to retirement and possibly beyond!

good luck buddy! i’m 35 and about to do the same, work in an office at the moment and detest my job, i love driving and i’m looking forward to starting it all

Wavestarved:
Bloody hell all this CPC stuff is confusing the carp out of me! Could someone explain this in idiot terms for me please? Particularly the bit about about it being counted in the C and C+E training

Sounds like this could be a fishy question :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A driver must have a LGV already on the licence to take advantage of this so C1 if doing C

Trainers can have practical LGV training hours approved for the driver cpc and most have a 7 hour course approved so it can be used many times during the same course

Taking the general 5 day course with test on day 5…
Test day does not count so that leaves 4 days for dcpc
If done 1 to 1 over half days then that will count as 14 dcpc hours (the 7 hours can be split in 2 x 3.5 hours)
If done 2 to 1 over full days then that can count for 28 hours for each driver because the time spent in the passenger seat still counts as training

A course with dcpc hours will cost a little more to cover the dcpc aspect but is worth it

does that explain it ok?

In the same position matey, did my medical D4 today also

and looking to get my D2 and D4 sent off tomorrow asap, did you provide a photo with your D2? I don’t know if I’m being an idiot and not reading the booklet that comes with the form properly or not lol but I’m just not quite getting that bit (having a head ■■■■■ day)

I’m 25 and currently a contracted pylon painter although, pylon painting hasn’t quite worked out, its difficult being a new rookie painter who has no family connections to the industry as most painting teams are ancestral, and there for getting into teams is difficult, had 7 months work in scotland but since that contract finished 9 months ago I’ve not managed to get into another painting team so being a bit fed up I’m too looking for a new career path