New driver , signed up to agency any advice welcome

Hi everyone,

I have just passed my cat c and signed up to an agency on flat rate for now. Told them I only want cat c and not vans as I want the experience and day work for now to get used to it all.

Can anyone advise me on the best sat nav and apps for tacho and paperwork (timesheet, breaks etc) that will help me organise and get through my day easier.

Also any other constructive tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Always do a printout from every vehicle you drive, for your own records and proof.

And don’t try to dictate to the agency what you will or will not drive, take anything you’re offered or you’ll find you won’t be offered anything at all. A newbie with no experience is at the bottom of the pile.

1 Like

As above, as a new driver trying to get some experience you generally need to accept what the agency offer you, van work is experience of working as a driver even if it isn’t what you really want, and being prepared to do it will keep you on the agencies radar for when they do have appropriate HGV work to offer you.

You need to understand that as a new driver there may be places the agency cannot send you, some companies will only want experienced drivers.

Whilst waiting for work learn the tachograph and working times rules as best you can (emphasis should be on the tachograph rules), the clearer your understanding of the rules now the less confusing it will seem when you first start driving on tachographs.

Good luck with your new career :wink:

1 Like

If you’re at the stage you’ve signed up for work you should have a truck sat nav by now

Timesheets usually the agency will provide you with those

Don’t rely on apps for tachos, is it so hard to work out how many breaks you need in a day. I assume you’ve done CPC so you should know these

Can’t recommend a sat nav they all seem to have ups and downs. I’m personally using a 6 year old TomTom and I use it as a guide/tool more than anything. Always scout out your destination on google maps/street view to figure out best way to approach, any hazards on approach/exit (narrow lanes, LOW BRIDGES, weight/width restrictions etc.)

Ok to add to what others have said re non-hgv work or rather to contradict them, if you need the money take the jobs or at least try to do 1 or 2 of them initially else you might create the impression of being work-averse, however I’d be weary of becoming their favorite go-to do-it-all yes-man as has happened to me in the past.

1 Like

I will use road lords as sat nav as hear that is good and see how I go and I also have Google maps as a back up. Like you said I will ask for a time sheet and I’ve told the guy at agency I want to progress to c+e therefore I only want to be in class c trucks and not vans.

He was fine with that and said he could get me in one as soon as I’m back from holiday in 2 weeks time (meat waggons apparently 5:30 start) .

I’m happy doing whatever as long as trucks in order to gain experience. I feel there is no point messing about in vans as that’s a backward step.

I have experience with a Luton van and tail lift which he seemed ok with and I think may help him/me to get the class c work.

Thanks again

Hmmm… Ignoring experienced people is not a wise move in this industry, I strongly recommend not taking such an attitude with any agency, but if you chose to do this, then you’ll learn that lesson the hard way.

The latest edition of Road Lords is being reported as problematic, not letting you insert your vehicle height - Google maps does not allow you to do that though I believe there my be an add on that will do this.

Be very aware that not knowing your vehicle height and not knowing which bridges are on your route are a quick way to be out of work; having a bridge strike can result in your HGV entitlement being suspended, commonly for periods of 6 months.

1 Like

Like I said if I was in your shoes and they offered me a van shift as my first assignment I’d take it if for no other reason than to prove that I can get there, be on time, present myself in a professional manner and complete the job to the customer’s expectations. They might want to do that before they entrust you with driving an HGV for one of their established clients since you have 0 days worked in your career

1 Like

o/p some general advice on agencies. Firstly as said dont be too bolshy with them. they will smile and say not a problem to your face but you will never hear from them again. second along the same lines dont believe a word they tell you untill you have that text saying your booked in some where assume your not. even after you have they text dont be surprised if you turn up at a yard and nobody knows anything and the person you were told to speak to is on a 6 month sabbatical. Last bit of advice make sure you are paid PAYE rather than by an umbrella company.

As to record keeping get your self a page a day diary and record in there the start finish time, vehicle reg start and finish mileage where you went (i realise this can be difficult if doing multi drop) and how much fuel you drew when you filled up. that way when you have driven umpteen different vehicles and they come back to you 10 days later you have all the details to hand.

2 Likes

They actually offered me a start Tomorrow in a meat waggon and I got the feeling he was fine with my request. But I am really reasonable and understand completely where you are coming from. I think I struck the sweet spot with what I wanted and what they wanted without any problem.

Get a page a day diary as above.
Just write down each reg of truck you drive just in case anyone tries to force a ticket on you you can look at it.
Plus also write down how many hours driving you do each day.
If it helps write down how many hours you did before your break then how many afterwards.
Add them up.
End each week add up your driving time then you can look. Back and see ok drove 50 hours last week only do 40 next week.
In all honesty unless your doing long distance trucking work. Your never go over your 90 hours driving a week. Closet I ever got to was 88 hours.
But that was doing lots trips Manchester to Aberdeen and back over the 2 weeks.

As for sat navs I use Google maps and a navman for a car. But what ever you choose never fully rely on it keeps your eyes open not just for low bridges etc

But parked cars on a turning it says to take and other hazards.
Once done a few weeks and get into it and learnt how to read a tacho your find. The job a lot easier to keep track of hours etc

1 Like

I actually have copilot for my car on my phone and apparently it has a truck version but can’t figure for the life of me how to get the truck version on my phone. I like the fact that the maps are pre downloaded and I’m not completely reliant on an internet connection.

Great advice and thanks …yes they said not an umbrella and I’m on PAYE…made sure I read the terms …

Thanks again

The best approach to dealing with agency bods is to believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see :frowning_face:

1 Like

I tend to use that approach in life as general…To be honest I’m good with people it’s just getting to grips with the finer details of the job that obviously comes with experience. You Guy’s know what you’re doing and the sooner I get to that the better as that’s half the stress.

Learning a new trade is never easy but I love a challenge and all the tips I’ve come on here for are exactly what I was after. Saves me time and wondering which is the best way or ways.

The agency will need to discuss your credentials with any clients against their criteria and also insurance criteria. Your licence will also not hide your test pass date. So it may be a case of the agency not being able to find cat C work for you.

It was never going to be easy let’s hope it is for me than it sounds. Like I said I like a challenge.

I’m sure I’ll suss it but thanks for the cautious outlook I’m sure I’ll suss it.

I’m sure you’ll suss it, best of luck.

1 Like

Thanks will need it by sound of it :+1:

No problem, thanks.

Just for clarity, I’m sure you meant fortnight, not a week.

1 Like