New driver advice

Hi everyone, my names Steve and I’m new to HGV driving

I’m a confident car driver and always thought about getting my HGV so last month I decided to do my HGV class 2 so I booked 3 theories and passed them with the week and then I booked in for a class 2 driver assessment to which I did great 30mins drive then back to base to attempt the reverse and I never failed the reverse exercise once even tho it was the first time I had ever driven a HGV that day so I just booked two 4 hour lessons in a class 2 to get a little experience as thought would be too cheeky to go straight in for the class 2 test without a real lesson, with my test straight after the second lesson, this was on Friday and I passed first time with only two minors.

I loved the driving that much that I now want to try an artic, any advice on the road in an artic before I book to go in for an assessment?

You’ll be surprised how much easier it is in an artic for manoeuvring. Same principles apply that you’ve already learned in Class 2.

Obvious differences are coupling and uncoupling, reverse manoeuvre and the additional blindspots caused by your trailer when turning.
Road positioning is similar, you just have to ensure your trailer wheels have passed a corner before you turn (ie you don’t mount the pavement) this could mean a slightly wider approach followed by a sharper turn.
One final note, pulling out of a T-junction my examiner wanted to see me occupying the other side of the road safely. So you will have to show you’re looking both ways and not impede road users coming towards you.

Hope that helps [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
You’ll be surprised how much easier it is in an artic for manoeuvring. Same principles apply that you’ve already learned in Class 2.

Obvious differences are coupling and uncoupling, reverse manoeuvre and the additional blindspots caused by your trailer when turning.
Road positioning is similar, you just have to ensure your trailer wheels have passed a corner before you turn (ie you don’t mount the pavement) this could mean a slightly wider approach followed by a sharper turn.
One final note, pulling out of a T-junction my examiner wanted to see me occupying the other side of the road safely. So you will have to show you’re looking both ways and not impede road users coming towards you.

Hope that helps [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, I will take all on board before I go for my assessment, I always like to be over prepared with everything so looking into everything now before I go, I have got a friend who has a class 1 job and he’s kindly asked his boss and offered to let me use there artic in there yard to practice the class 1 reverse exercise

PASSING C.jpg
LPLATE.jpg

ROG:

That link is great exactly what I was after about the reverse, thanks