My Diary of events at VdB

I left the Armed Forces OVER 14 years ago. :unamused: :wink:

In that case, the same must apply to the Transport Industry compared to others - not having worked in them (except casual work in Agriculture, so the same thing applies) I wouldn’t know. You got more of a chance than most companies would’ve given you, and what you had was extra training as the word is normally used within this sector. In other words, this is what it’s like, get used to it. :unamused: :wink:

Ps. RobK may be many things, but “stupid” is very definately not one of them.

skids:

dinosteveus1:

Rob K:
Just how stupid do you think we are? :unamused:

Your comments about VdB have got hate, vitriol, spit and froth written all over them and you just can’t stop yourself from eating that large bunch of sour grapes you’ve got in your hand.

Remove your signature and MOVE ON. FFS man, I’ve seen 5yr olds have less of a tantrum over stuff than you, and you’re 45 ! :open_mouth: :unamused:

We all know how ‘stupid’ you are, so that’s that one ‘sorted’. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Do you really think I’m interested in your opinion, errrrr reality check. I don’t give a toss what you say or think. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: End of :unamused:

If you are not interested in opinions then why post on a forum?? :confused:

Hi skids, What kind of question is that please?

Does anybody else think that Steve wasn’t interested in Rob’s opinion, rather than all opinions?

Hi Steve,

I’ve read your story with great interest and a little sadness, but only because we’re both human and I feel your pain.

I honestly had the impression that you were setting off on a fool’s errand, but I refrained from saying so in advance for fear of people saying things like “why spoil the guy’s dream by ■■■■■■■ on his bonfire,” or “why not let him make his own mistakes.” This defo isn’t an ‘I told you so’ either, because I chose not to say anything in advance of you setting off for Holland. (It goes without saying that I really hoped I was wrong.)

So Steve, what do I think you can take from this?
I believe it can be summed-up in a single sentence: You gave it your very best shot, but it didn’t quite work out for you on this occasion.
IMHO, the reason that it didn’t work out for you on this occasion can also be summed-up in a single sentence: Your lack of experience coupled with the massive leap that you attempted proved to be a bridge too far. (You could only know this with hindsight.)
IMHO, you can’t be faulted for lack of willingness to try, or lack of effort once you were in Holland.

Just before anybody starts with stuff like “what the hell does he know about it,” here’s the answer:
Back in 1985 and with approx 5 years Euro experience already under my belt (when Euro work was far more difficult than today,) I hitched a ride to Italy after securing a new job near Turin on my last trip for a previous boss. Nobody at the firm spoke English, and before joining the firm I knew that I was to do Italian national work plus EU and non-EU countries. I had that job for over a year, and it only ended cos the boss got himself into ‘tax difficulties.’

So I reckon I’ve got the T-shirt (and the video. :wink: )

I’d like to wish you good luck Steve, cos I think you deserve it. This episode WILL pass and fade, trust me!! :smiley:

Well done for having a go!

How many people reading this post would have been as honest about trying to gain their dream job and coming up short due to in-experience. We all started off without the experience, I passed my test in april 1989 in May I was transporting 44-50 ton loads of timber, back when the limit was 38ton, I was working for the biggest cowboy in the Country, but when you need a break! In June 1989 I found myself heading for Italy, now that was an eye opener, EU work is far easier now. But, at the end of the day if it doesn’t kill you it might just make you a bit stronger. Good luck and best wishes, with your attitude I expect you will come up trumps eventually :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldave:

skids:

dinosteveus1:

Rob K:
Just how stupid do you think we are? :unamused:

Your comments about VdB have got hate, vitriol, spit and froth written all over them and you just can’t stop yourself from eating that large bunch of sour grapes you’ve got in your hand.

Remove your signature and MOVE ON. FFS man, I’ve seen 5yr olds have less of a tantrum over stuff than you, and you’re 45 ! :open_mouth: :unamused:

We all know how ‘stupid’ you are, so that’s that one ‘sorted’. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Do you really think I’m interested in your opinion, errrrr reality check. I don’t give a toss what you say or think. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: End of :unamused:

Hi skids, What kind of question is that please?
Does anybody else think that Steve wasn’t interested in Rob’s opinion, rather than all opinions?

By way of posting a thread on a forum is an invite to opinion and the opinions should be accepted (good or bad). This does not mean that the person posting has to agree with them either.

Nice to see both sides of the story.

I hope it doesn’t put companies off advertising positions like this in future or deter drivers from participating in these “trials”.

Also good to see a new driver was given an opportunity like this.

skids:
By way of posting a thread on a forum is an invite to opinion and the opinions should be accepted (good or bad). This does not mean that the person posting has to agree with them either.

Hi skids, IMHO, that’s a fair point mate. :smiley:

I guess it’s just the way I read Steve’s post, but it looked to me like his reply was only aimed at Rob’s comment in particular.

Steve has had a variety of comments, and I’m pretty sure there’s a measure of merit in all of the comments.

I think the thread may have now run its course and wish Steve the best of luck for acheiving his dream. I myself had a lucky break on leaving the army 10 years ago and went straight onto euro work. Its hard enough for people with stacks of experience in euro and general LGV driving to get euro positions these days so it may end up being no more than a dream.

skids:

I am interested in opinions, just not those that I consider to be from a Troll. :unamused:

brit pete:
@dinosteveus1, if you do not stop and think,then my friend you are shooting yourself in the foot
You have to forget, how one was trained in the Forces,as this does not work in, here in Transport
Unfortunatly as I posted before Time is Money and the ACCOUNTANTS have a big say in most
large groups of business,in civvy street,get yourself a job where the people are happy with the fact
that you are a person who requires more training and time to get to know the job,once you have a few years under your belt, you will have learnt and advanced your skills, you can take this advice and profit from it or you can go on ,wallowing away about the past few weeks, What ever you do remember this
no one stops learning about this job as every day one learns something new,also one has to adjust
to the future and be prepared to learn from any mistake ,All the best for the future…

To be honest, the first year ‘out’ you remember what it’s all about. How people don’t do what you want, when you want, if ya know what I mean. 12 Years ain’t long and being out for over 14 you soon forget what it was like. :open_mouth:
I still respect Elders, Betters and Authority. :sunglasses:

Lucy:
In that case, the same must apply to the Transport Industry compared to others - not having worked in them (except casual work in Agriculture, so the same thing applies) I wouldn’t know. You got more of a chance than most companies would’ve given you, and what you had was extra training as the word is normally used within this sector. In other words, this is what it’s like, get used to it. :unamused: :wink:

I’m very sorry, but I don’t understand what you are saying. I must be a bit slow. :blush: :blush:

Lucy:
Ps. RobK may be many things, but “stupid” is very definately not one of them.

OK, if you say so, then it must be. :stuck_out_tongue:
You do have a great tool that I’ve just found:-

This post was made by Rob K who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

wish I’d found it sooner. :wink:

dieseldave:
Hi Steve,

I’ve read your story with great interest and a little sadness, but only because we’re both human and I feel your pain.

I honestly had the impression that you were setting off on a fool’s errand, but I refrained from saying so in advance for fear of people saying things like “why spoil the guy’s dream by ■■■■■■■ on his bonfire,” or “why not let him make his own mistakes.” This defo isn’t an ‘I told you so’ either, because I chose not to say anything in advance of you setting off for Holland. (It goes without saying that I really hoped I was wrong.)

So Steve, what do I think you can take from this?
I believe it can be summed-up in a single sentence: You gave it your very best shot, but it didn’t quite work out for you on this occasion.
IMHO, the reason that it didn’t work out for you on this occasion can also be summed-up in a single sentence: Your lack of experience coupled with the massive leap that you attempted proved to be a bridge too far. (You could only know this with hindsight.)
IMHO, you can’t be faulted for lack of willingness to try, or lack of effort once you were in Holland.

Just before anybody starts with stuff like “what the hell does he know about it,” here’s the answer:
Back in 1985 and with approx 5 years Euro experience already under my belt (when Euro work was far more difficult than today,) I hitched a ride to Italy after securing a new job near Turin on my last trip for a previous boss. Nobody at the firm spoke English, and before joining the firm I knew that I was to do Italian national work plus EU and non-EU countries. I had that job for over a year, and it only ended cos the boss got himself into ‘tax difficulties.’

So I reckon I’ve got the T-shirt (and the video. :wink: )

I’d like to wish you good luck Steve, cos I think you deserve it. This episode WILL pass and fade, trust me!! :smiley:

I’m beginning to think you are right and it was a ‘fools errand’ but after going on a 4 hour driving refresher just before the interview and then the drive during the interview I thought why couldn’t I do this job. After all, every-time you get behind a wheel you learn something new, or I thought you did. The more you drive the better you get.
Thanks Dave :smiley:

Fileep:
Well done for having a go!

How many people reading this post would have been as honest about trying to gain their dream job and coming up short due to in-experience. We all started off without the experience, I passed my test in april 1989 in May I was transporting 44-50 ton loads of timber, back when the limit was 38ton, I was working for the biggest cowboy in the Country, but when you need a break! In June 1989 I found myself heading for Italy, now that was an eye opener, EU work is far easier now. But, at the end of the day if it doesn’t kill you it might just make you a bit stronger. Good luck and best wishes, with your attitude I expect you will come up trumps eventually :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

skids:

That goes BOTH ways. :unamused: Telling people what to do is out of order. :angry:

zippy!:
Nice to see both sides of the story.

I hope it doesn’t put companies off advertising positions like this in future or deter drivers from participating in these “trials”.

Also good to see a new driver was given an opportunity like this.

I don’t think it will put Companies off, I hope I’ve tried to explain what happened and how good this company is to work for, once you get the job of course.
I spoke to a lot of people working for VdB and I don’t think any of them had a bad word to say about them. Bloody hell they had laid on a FREE BBQ last Friday, free food and Beer. How many UK firms do that?

dieseldave:
IMHO, that’s a fair point mate. :smiley:

I guess it’s just the way I read Steve’s post, but it looked to me like his reply was only aimed at Rob’s comment in particular.

Steve has had a variety of comments, and I’m pretty sure there’s a measure of merit in all of the comments.

What is strange, is the way that some people read this. Quite a few have seen it as a ‘dig’ but most have seen it for what it is, a Diary. :smiley:

skids:
I think the thread may have now run its course and wish Steve the best of luck for acheiving his dream. I myself had a lucky break on leaving the army 10 years ago and went straight onto euro work. Its hard enough for people with stacks of experience in euro and general LGV driving to get euro positions these days so it may end up being no more than a dream.

I’ve not quite given up yet, not far off though :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :blush:

I just think you should see it as you went for a driving assessment and failed it, and I think you should now move on and look for something else. To be honest, I think your signature (and general attitude) is naive as much as anything, you cannot expect a haulier to employ someone who on his own admission has received insufficient training to drive his vehicles.

Good luck for the future.

Well after only 40 years as a driver i have only been across the water 4 times in that period (early on),to be given an opportunity to even attempt to have a go in a left ■■■■■■ and other training i would consider that as a blessing.
From what you have said, someone did give you that but with you inexperience as a driver (which you was totally honest about) i would say that rather than be down about it and the end result ,you should have an upbeat attitude to it .

1. because you know there is opportunities still there.
  2. you have had the experience of trying for a job abroad .
  3. even with your lack of experience of driving you took the challenge on.
  4. next time you will know what you have to do to brush up on certain technics.
  5. there’s more to learn for different job type
  6. next time you will be more savvy to what is required
    and finally take from that the experience and a lesson in what lorry driving is all about and you well may benefit from that.
    good luck in your search, hope you find a job to suit you :smiley:

my name is not Brad. deleted my post because it is of no concern…

As schoolchildren often say about sticks and stones. It doesn’t really matter that Steve thinks I am unable to comprehend his posts, see his other thread.

When this string of vacancies came about I thought it was a brave thing of the company to advertise jobs in open forum. I sort of expected these sort of outbursts. Steve suggested I don’t know what I am talking about although I can probably call Paul & Frans friends. I was contacted by PM over 30 times to ask for advice about the job, the wages , the conditions and the vehicles. I was reluctant in answering these question in case my name was used. Wheel Nut said this, Wheel Nut said that. But like David I have watched the thread from the start. I do think the signature is slightly provocative and I know the training school inside out as we preferred the coffee machine when we were parked in the depot, it was cheaper than the canteen :laughing:

Simon is a moderator on these forums and by his own admissions he came out of the forces and into the driving game which must have been a huge shock. The profit margins in the army or air force are not as tight as in general haulage. I think Steve was quite brave thinking he could go to Erp with no experience apart from driving around Larbruck and the surrounding area in a car 14 years previously.

I was very fortunate to start in the tanker game at a young age because someone offered to show me the ropes. I took to the job like a fish to water and enjoyed 30 years on the road. But I would have never ever expected to think I could go out to Holland when I was 22. At that point in my life I had four years driving experience and one years experience on pressure tankers.

When I did eventually start with Van den Bosch I had a lot of experience but even the “Dutch Way” was a long way from what I had done previously, even with a spell in Germany on road tankers. There is an awful lot to learn anyway in Erp with the bord computer, the depot layout, the way they clean the tanks, the tours around the Carrosserie, the Workshop, the Planning department. I was there for three days and the training was intense, but we had all driven lorries before, only one had never driven on the continent, but a couple of trips down the narrow lanes near Erp sorted him out.

A lot of posts in the VDB thread expected it was going to be all beer and gehaktstaaf. The edible market is very competitive, a small mistake can cost millions of pounds to the customer, look at the salmonella outbreaks recently. Companies like Van den Bosch are competing against Albert Keijzer, H&S and Den Hartogh etc.

The training school have enough to do teaching the new drivers how to operate the material without having to expect to teach them to drive a lorry. I brought a guy home who could not read a map and knew it all. He expected to ring his wife to ask for directions in Europe, another just did not fit and was sent home after his first day. it happens, get over it, get a local job, accept the conditions in the UK as you learn and keep your ear to the ground. You keep mentioning your mate Brad with 10 years continental experience. We all know someone who drives professionally that you would not put your children in the car with them.

And the real reason I was annoyed with your original posts was the fact that you said the company only use analogue tachographs because they are easier to hide things :exclamation: . There were dozens of new trucks with digital units delivered while I was there.

I wish you well in your job hunt, but I suggest you look a little closer to home first, just remember I was trying to help you so any stone chucking my way just makes me laugh at you.

Steve if you want to get some experience then my offer is still on the table - ok its not tankers but it’ll get you used to the size and the roads
let me know and i’ll get the boss to ok it - its a double bunker lol
cheers
Steve

i thought he was harsh with you wheelnut i put a rather long msg on the other thread about it some people wont listen to good advice from old hands :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You mentioned your Forces background,did you also mention the unpleasantness between 39 and 45?could have something to do with it.Look on it as their loss and you got some extra driving experience out of it.

Harry Monk:
I just think you should see it as you went for a driving assessment and failed it, and I think you should now move on and look for something else. To be honest, I think your signature (and general attitude) is naive as much as anything, you cannot expect a haulier to employ someone who on his own admission has received insufficient training to drive his vehicles.

Good luck for the future.

Show me a Driver who knows everything and I’ll show you a liar :unamused:

gezt:
Well after only 40 years as a driver i have only been across the water 4 times in that period (early on),to be given an opportunity to even attempt to have a go in a left ■■■■■■ and other training i would consider that as a blessing.
From what you have said, someone did give you that but with you inexperience as a driver (which you was totally honest about) i would say that rather than be down about it and the end result ,you should have an upbeat attitude to it .

1. because you know there is opportunities still there.
  2. you have had the experience of trying for a job abroad .
  3. even with your lack of experience of driving you took the challenge on.
  4. next time you will know what you have to do to brush up on certain technics.
  5. there’s more to learn for different job type
  6. next time you will be more savvy to what is required
    and finally take from that the experience and a lesson in what lorry driving is all about and you well may benefit from that.
    good luck in your search, hope you find a job to suit you :smiley:

I see your point. :smiley:

mucksavaga:
my name is not Brad. deleted my post because it is of no concern…

I read your post and it was very good and definitely relevant. :stuck_out_tongue:
I know you’re not Brad, the chap I started with. Who said you was? :frowning:

Wheel Nut:
As schoolchildren often say about sticks and stones. It doesn’t really matter that Steve thinks I am unable to comprehend his posts, see his other thread.

When this string of vacancies came about I thought it was a brave thing of the company to advertise jobs in open forum. I sort of expected these sort of outbursts. Steve suggested I don’t know what I am talking about although I can probably call Paul & Frans friends. I was contacted by PM over 30 times to ask for advice about the job, the wages , the conditions and the vehicles. I was reluctant in answering these question in case my name was used. Wheel Nut said this, Wheel Nut said that. But like David I have watched the thread from the start. I do think the signature is slightly provocative and I know the training school inside out as we preferred the coffee machine when we were parked in the depot, it was cheaper than the canteen :laughing:

Simon is a moderator on these forums and by his own admissions he came out of the forces and into the driving game which must have been a huge shock. The profit margins in the army or air force are not as tight as in general haulage. I think Steve was quite brave thinking he could go to Erp with no experience apart from driving around Larbruck and the surrounding area in a car 14 years previously.

I was very fortunate to start in the tanker game at a young age because someone offered to show me the ropes. I took to the job like a fish to water and enjoyed 30 years on the road. But I would have never ever expected to think I could go out to Holland when I was 22. At that point in my life I had four years driving experience and one years experience on pressure tankers.

When I did eventually start with Van den Bosch I had a lot of experience but even the “Dutch Way” was a long way from what I had done previously, even with a spell in Germany on road tankers. There is an awful lot to learn anyway in Erp with the bord computer, the depot layout, the way they clean the tanks, the tours around the Carrosserie, the Workshop, the Planning department. I was there for three days and the training was intense, but we had all driven lorries before, only one had never driven on the continent, but a couple of trips down the narrow lanes near Erp sorted him out.

A lot of posts in the VDB thread expected it was going to be all beer and gehaktstaaf. The edible market is very competitive, a small mistake can cost millions of pounds to the customer, look at the salmonella outbreaks recently. Companies like Van den Bosch are competing against Albert Keijzer, H&S and Den Hartogh etc.

The training school have enough to do teaching the new drivers how to operate the material without having to expect to teach them to drive a lorry. I brought a guy home who could not read a map and knew it all. He expected to ring his wife to ask for directions in Europe, another just did not fit and was sent home after his first day. it happens, get over it, get a local job, accept the conditions in the UK as you learn and keep your ear to the ground. You keep mentioning your mate Brad with 10 years continental experience. We all know someone who drives professionally that you would not put your children in the car with them.

And the real reason I was annoyed with your original posts was the fact that you said the company only use analogue tachographs because they are easier to hide things :exclamation: . There were dozens of new trucks with digital units delivered while I was there.

I wish you well in your job hunt, but I suggest you look a little closer to home first, just remember I was trying to help you so any stone chucking my way just makes me laugh at you.

I NEVER said you don’t know what you are talking about regards VdB. :angry: Where?? :confused:
I have NEVER PMd you, ever. :angry: :angry:
I remember your posts, most of them very helpful, I thanked you then and I thanks you now.
Don’t make this a me against you, Frans and whoever Dave and Paul are. Get of your high horse and stop thinking I’m having a go at your ‘mates’. I’m not.
Nuff said on the matter, yes?

gm:
Steve if you want to get some experience then my offer is still on the table - ok its not tankers but it’ll get you used to the size and the roads
let me know and i’ll get the boss to ok it - its a double bunker lol
cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve :smiley:

dreva:
i thought he was harsh with you wheelnut i put a rather long msg on the other thread about it some people wont listen to good advice from old hands :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wrong. :unamused: I will listen to advice and most of the times it is very much appreciated. What I won’t do is let anybody bully me into doing what they want. :frowning: I can’t stand bullies. :angry: :angry: End of. :angry:

alamcculloch:
You mentioned your Forces background,did you also mention the unpleasantness between 39 and 45?could have something to do with it.Look on it as their loss and you got some extra driving experience out of it.

Nah, I didn’t mention it :laughing: :laughing:

dinosteveus1:

I doubt they wanted a driver who knew everything but you have to be able to drive their vehicles. Fair play to you though for going for it.

In your quest for truthfulness you have been too keen to emphasize your inexperience and this has not been to your advantage.

Harry Monk:

dinosteveus1:

I doubt they wanted a driver who knew everything but you have to be able to drive their vehicles. Fair play to you though for going for it.

In your quest for truthfulness you have been too keen to emphasize your inexperience and this has not been to your advantage.

Funny you should say that, well not funny really. A few ‘Friends’ said I should have kept quiet about that.

Saying that though, I did offer to go with a Dutch HGV Training School, at my expense. The ‘cloggy’ gaffer didn’t understand me :unamused: That’s how much I wanted the job. Hell, I sound like a right sad desperate ■■■■ :blush: :blush:
The second week is spent with someone, first you go with them during the day to factories etc, then you follow them in your Cab doing the same stuff. You ain’t dropped in it and you learn as you go along. :wink: