Mugs job if anybody interested?

dozy:
£6.66x 40 = 266
£9.99. X 43=399
6x£27. = 162
Total=£827 p.w+ family allowance+ family credits
Yes I do it,7/800 p.w
I might well be in a minority of one but I’d much rather do 80 hrs and earn £800 than £12 ph x 40 hrs p.w=480 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: I really couldn’t care less what the hourly rate is,I’m more interested in what I get/would get at the end of week/year,I’ve had jobs at £15 p.h,but if your only guaranteed 40 hrs a week and that’s all your getting in then it’s just £600 p.w,I’d have the £800 every day.

You’ve certainly chosen the right user name…

fredthered:
What makes me laugh is that the bottom is there already - the NMW! That’s where they are all aiming so its bugger all to do with market forces - if that was the case you’d all be driving shiny new motors for around £2.50 per hour!

Believe me, I spoke to a business colleague just the other day and he openly admitted that if he could pay less he sure as hell would if it improved his ‘bottom line & profits’.

The name of the game is to make as much as you can as quick as you can and sod those that fall off in the process.

The Victorians were nowhere near as bad as the current people!!!

Of course it’s market forces.

I cant believe you’re surprised by the charge as much as you can, spend as little as you can - there’s obviously a bit more to it, but it’s day one of business school stuff.

If im being honest (and as a new driver) I would take that job!

Sorry chaps, but ANY experience as a noob is more valuable than an hourly rate (dont stress, ive no ADR and no class1!) the wage is made up with night out allowance (which to be fair is pretty good at £27, ive seen offered as little as £10 a night and £6.86 an hour…)

im not being funny, but its a ■■■■ easy job, no handball, no waiting for arrogant forkies, no sitting in an RDC listening to bull ■■■■!

I agree that for an ADR driver its a pants rate, but trust me, as a recent doleite, work is ALOT better than no work!

B…

Bungle666:

Sorry chaps, but ANY experience as a noob is more valuable than an hourly rate (dont stress, ive no ADR and no class1!) the wage is made up with night out allowance (which to be fair is pretty good at £27, ive seen offered as little as £10 a night and £6.86 an hour…)

im not being funny, but its a ■■■■ easy job, no handball, no waiting for arrogant forkies, no sitting in an RDC listening to bull [zb]!

I agree that for an ADR driver its a pants rate, but trust me, as a recent doleite, work is ALOT better than no work!

B…

Surely, you can only know that if you’re going that job right now…which you say you’re not. Anyone working at Nobbies who gets sent into their Didcot depot might argue otherwise as to the “no RDC bull” bit. Their yard is actually joined at the hip to the tescos place next door, and that means you falling over their own languishing trucks stuck there for hours on end if you are carrying ANYTHING that might be for them! :smiley:

“Hello John. Here’s your first run today. Pop across the fence and drop off these 6 pallets of domestos. You’ll still have to wait in the sweatbox for 3.5hours mind!” :smiling_imp:
How many 18-21 year olds (the ones that might go for it for the experience) have ADR btw?

How many 18-21 year olds (the ones that might go for it for the experience) have ADR btw?
Not many…not many with Class 1 to start with, never mind ADR. Although I do recommend to all new HGV drivers that they think about doing ADR course (finances permitting) as not only does it give them an extra string to their bow but gets them 21hours towards DCPC Periodic Training - but looking at this post it is not a good an extra string as it used to/should be . Also the quoted advert required ‘significant tanker experience’ even more unlikely in an 18-21 year old.
I started another thread on this subject matter as I didn’t see this one…apologies, but I picked it up from another forum I’m registered on & this was my reply:
It’s not worth entering the transport industry for this wage!!! Especially considering the expenses involved for youngsters i.e. Cat. C+E licence acquisition circa. £3,500 (incl. DCPC Mod. 2 + 4) ADR with tankers circa £600. DCPC 35 hours Periodic training circa £400…Digi tacho. card £38 (bargain). Very little funding available for any of this unless you are ex-military (who have most of the above anyway).
Then you can’t get a job UNLESS you have good experience, then you may get a start for £6.66 p/h. We are going to have some major problems in coming years. Any views on this? Would you enter the transport industry today, if you could have your time again?? Not me!!

Bungle666:

im not being funny, but its a ■■■■ easy job, no handball, no waiting for arrogant forkies, no sitting in an RDC listening to bull [zb]!

B…

Can’t you read? The job is advertised as an experienced driver! And how good is it if you don’t get all the nights out/overtime you want to make up your money? If you want to work for pin money go to ■■■■■■■ McDonalds!

^^^+1

Night out/overtime/other non-guaranteed bolt-ons are just that…non-guaranteed therefore will NOT be considered if applying for a mortgage, the only element that will be considered is the basic 40 hour rate of £6.66 p/h. Maybe a mortgage on a greenhouse in Thurrock■■?

And when you head off on your hols you’ll find 40 hours @£6.66 in your pay packet…

dozy:
£6.66x 40 = 266
£9.99. X 43=399
6x£27. = 162
Yes I do it,7/800 p.w
I might well be in a minority of one but I’d much rather do 80 hrs and earn £800 than £12 ph x 40 hrs p.w=480 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: I really couldn’t care less what the hourly rate is,I’m more interested in what I get/would get at the end of week/year,I’ve had jobs at £15 p.h,but if your only guaranteed 40 hrs a week and that’s all your getting in then it’s just £600 p.w,I’d have the £800 every day.

Care to explain your workings out on 83hrs??..dozy

& when you’ve explained that one, please explain the 6 nights out per wk & of course how you intend to get tax/family credits when the cut off for this is 26k PA.

dozy:
£6.66x 40 = 266
£9.99. X 43=399
6x£27. = 162
Yes I do it,7/800 p.w

Where do you get 6x£27 from?

dozy:
I might well be in a minority of one but I’d much rather do 80 hrs and earn £800 than £12 ph x 40 hrs p.w=480 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

You’re exactly the type of clown they’re looking for then.

dozy:
I really couldn’t care less what the hourly rate is,I’m more interested in what I get/would get at the end of week/year,

Yeah, so you’d rather do two weeks work crammed in to one? I care very much about the hourly rate. I’ve recently been offered jobs and told the pay rate. I make the same for 35 hours agency as I would for 60 hours at the company, so if I work 60 hours agency, I’m way up on what I ever could’ve made in the other job.

dozy:
I’ve had jobs at £15 p.h,but if your only guaranteed 40 hrs a week and that’s all your getting in then it’s just £600 p.w,I’d have the £800 every day.

You’re only guaranteed 40 hours in this job, anything else is a bonus. The guaranteed weekly wage would be £266,40, it stinks. At £15, the guaranteed weekly wage for 40 hours would be £600, £333.60 better off for the same hours.

£827 per week for 83 hours and 6 nights out (according to your calculations) or 56 hours and home every night at £15 p/h. You really are on a different planet, so it seems are a lot of people on here.

Less hours and higher rate every time for me. I’ve got a wife and two daughters who I actually want to spend time with. Work to live.

I can never understand the mentality of people who are happy to do 70+ hours a week & rave about their take home pay being £600-800, its not a good wage if your working twice the hours than you should in one week to get it … and let’s not forget that the £6.66 offered here is your rate before tax & n.i is taken out …

dozy:
£6.66x 40 = 266
£9.99. X 43=399
6x£27. = 162
Yes I do it,7/800 p.w
I might well be in a minority of one but I’d much rather do 80 hrs and earn £800 than £12 ph x 40 hrs p.w=480

Is this kid for real? It’s people like you that is the reason the job’s [zb]ed.

DrivingMissDaisy:

dozy:
£6.66x 40 = 266
£9.99. X 43=399
6x£27. = 162
Yes I do it,7/800 p.w

You’ve certainly chosen the right user name…

:laughing:

It’s baby1 aka ady1 under a new username in a futile attempt to get people to forget about his drink problems.

Bungle666:

B…

:unamused:

This thread is for you my friend.

Winseer:

Bungle666:

B…

Surely, you can only know that if you’re going that job right now…which you say you’re not. Anyone working at Nobbies who gets sent into their Didcot depot might argue otherwise as to the “no RDC bull” bit. Their yard is actually joined at the hip to the tescos place next door, and that means you falling over their own languishing trucks stuck there for hours on end if you are carrying ANYTHING that might be for them! :smiley:

“Hello John. Here’s your first run today. Pop across the fence and drop off these 6 pallets of domestos. You’ll still have to wait in the sweatbox for 3.5hours mind!” :smiling_imp:

Id love to be able to go for it! but ive no ADR and no class 1! :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

:laughing: :laughing:

I agree the HOURLY rate is utter dog ■■■, BUT when all the other stuff is taken into account (night out allowance, bonus ETC ETC) the monthly take home will be fairly good! £27 a night for kipping in the cab aint to be sniffed at!

I recently applied for a job class 2 tramping. £6.86/hour, £15 a night, £2 a day meal allowance and no paid parking! all overtime was paid after 55 hours at the rate of £9.50 an hour!

i’m bloody glad i wasn’t offered it TBH, as that was really ■■■■■■ (the night out rate and amount of hours to hit overtime made it particularly poor in my book, I only applied as the jobcentre made me) :laughing:

B…

Bungle666:

Winseer:

Bungle666:

B…

Id love to be able to go for it! but ive no ADR and no class 1! :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

I agree the HOURLY rate is utter dog ■■■, BUT when all the other stuff is taken into account (night out allowance, bonus ETC ETC) the monthly take home will be fairly good! £27 a night for kipping in the cab aint to be sniffed at!

I recently applied for a job class 2 tramping. £6.86/hour, £15 a night, £2 a day meal allowance and no paid parking! all overtime was paid after 55 hours at the rate of £9.50 an hour!

i’m bloody glad i wasn’t offered it TBH, as that was really [zb]! (the night out rate and amount of hours to hit overtime made it particularly poor in my book, I only applied as the jobcentre made me) :laughing:

B…

You really are a pillock aren’t you. You say that the Class 2 job was crap, but it was paying 20p an hour more than the Class 1 ADR job that you’d gladly take?

I’ve been driving 8 years and I wouldnt even have taken a job like that when I was wet behind the ears.

stevieboy308:

fredthered:
What makes me laugh is that the bottom is there already - the NMW! That’s where they are all aiming so its bugger all to do with market forces - if that was the case you’d all be driving shiny new motors for around £2.50 per hour!

Believe me, I spoke to a business colleague just the other day and he openly admitted that if he could pay less he sure as hell would if it improved his ‘bottom line & profits’.

The name of the game is to make as much as you can as quick as you can and sod those that fall off in the process.

The Victorians were nowhere near as bad as the current people!!!

Of course it’s market forces.

I cant believe you’re surprised by the charge as much as you can, spend as little as you can - there’s obviously a bit more to it, but it’s day one of business school stuff.

How can it be market forces if the labour rate is set by the government?

If it was market forces then the pay rate would find its own level and with a fluid labour market the only way it could go is further down (ie: too much labour for the amount of available work) and that’s why the EU can’t work for everyone until there is full integration politically as we’ll as financially.

Obvious really.

Bugger me…i was on a better rate in 1978, lolipop ladys get a better rate… :laughing:

Bungle666:

Winseer:

Bungle666:

B…

Rob K:

I’d rather be on hourly rate whilst kipping myself, not booked off for 9 hours daily rest. :wink:

Overtime in the normal world kicks in at 40 hours not 55. A typical overtime rate is time and a half for midweek overtime - even if you don’t get any night premium/weekend rate to bump it up further. Agreeing to 55 hours a week without 55 decent hours worth of pay is financial suicide. You might manage it if you’ve already paid off the mortgage, but I would actually like to pay the mortgage off out of my own earnings, rather than use the proceeds of my parent’s house to pay it off instead. :frowning: Then there’s the arguments over your weekly average needing to be 48 hours rather than 55… Surely, 40 hours basic with 8 hours overtime every week is better than 55 hours for flat money - especially flat CRAP money! :imp:

i’m bloody glad i wasn’t offered it TBH, as that was really [zb]! (the night out rate and amount of hours to hit overtime made it particularly poor in my book, I only applied as the jobcentre made me) :laughing:

B…