Momentary lapse kills driver

Tragic story of a young driver killing another driver with 30 years of experience.
It just makes you think and reflect.
Was it just one of those things, or a sh happens scenario.
Or should we be looking at (what I would suspect is at fault) excessive driving and working hours, as a matter of routine,.with all the fatigue and lack of concentration issues that result.

We are in century 21 ffs, these legally allowed hours with minimal rest periods in betwen need addressed imo,…and whether or NOT it was to blame in this particular case.

There was nothing that suggested excessive hours involved in the job, it sounds like he worked for an outfit like I drive at where on nights even an 11hr is considered a long shift, 12hrs or more is only something that happens because of external factors like a breakdown or delays from accident and on days anything over 12hrs 30m is planned as a night out.

Micro-sleep which was mentioned is an issue and you don’t need to be struggling to keep your eyes open to experience it. I suffered it once many years ago literally within 10 minutes of having stopped and had breakfast and only a couple of hours after setting off. Fortunately I was in my car with a passenger who noticed me drifting into L1 from L2. Driving down the M1 towards the M25, talking to my mate, next thing I know he’s shouting at me. No warning, nothing.

On the face of it, it looks like an error of judgement, but, given his age I’d tend to assume maybe part of that error of judgement was that he was driving a bit too fast. Anyway, he sounded genuinely remorseful, though that’s no consolation to the dead driver’s family.

Yep you are right there wasn’t
To clarify…I clearly stated it was ME who (rightly or wrongly) suspected it.
MY opinion only.
Of which I feel I can be forgiven for if wrong, especially when you look around at the general trend of the job today.

Same as it is YOUR opinion (unless I missed something) that he has a job like you with not so many hours.

I also stated that (again in MY opinion) that whether or NOT excess hours had anything to do with this specific case or not, that they should be reviewed,.if only to prevent further,.and similar cases happening.

Reading that article it reads likely he nodded off for a second
The driver behind seen him pulling to right and himself asking did I hit someone
If it was genuine remorse he would have admitted to speeding, he would remember that
Hard to prove , he got off lightly

The tacho head speed trace would indicate the speed at the time and for the whole shift.

If he has crossed the line and he didn’t know anything about it, then he was asleep.

Looking at satnav? Looking at mobile phone in it’s cradle? Possible causes given his age.

Possible causes whatever anyone’s age.