Moffett Operators - Training and Advice Required

Hello Constantine

When I posted that the previous one was not there! Anyway the reason I knew was because in 1990 I did my training as an LGV Instructor.
At the time they were a very professional outfit but unfortunately I do not know much about them now but I believe they are still on the go.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
Good Luck.

Hi there don’t no if this any good

moffettforklifts.co.uk/

There do training look in the about bit

Del

Del,

You are a genius, I looked at this site and didn’t even notice the training bit in the about section…talk about a bloke look!

Thank you for pointing that out to me, that’s the first one to state they definitely do it with their own equipment. So I’ll be contacting them then!

C

The hardest part of using one is taking one on/off the wagon, make sure they show you how to do that. Also when lifting/placing loads make sure you use the stabilisers/jacks, otherwise they can tip over as they dont have a counter weight fitted.i did mine in a day as i already had a counterbalance ticket so all i needed was a conversion course. It does take a while to get used to them especially the dead man drive pedal ( no seperate brake pedal ) you press forward on pedal to go forward and back to go backward. As with anything it comes with practise, some of the newer moffetts i have used in the past can also crab, travel sideways with a load, which is handy sometimes. Personally i love using em especially when theirs cues at some building sites , just squeeze past everyone.

Also worth noting that if your delivering on a site have to go up and down steep hills travel with the load at the front like you would normally to go up but when back down always reverse

overall their not the hardest piece of equipment to use afterall if you can drive a wagon you shud be able to get to grips with one of these … heres some other pointers I thought i might add since your new to it.

Always check you have fuel in it before going out … ( especially if your a agency driver like i am ) some have electronic display fuel gauges … some have the old see through tube type mounted on em somewhere.

Some mofffets wont engage in drive unless the seat belts been clicked in … lol this has caught me out once in the past

Always make sure you connect the electrical suzzie back into the moffett when you have stowed it back on the wagon and check operation of your lights.

If mounting raised kerbs ( applys if forwards travelling ) always approach at a 45 degree angle —bounce it up one wheel at a time and slowly.

Overall be gentle in operation, plus dont forget its their when you back up to something !!

There are some useful vids by atlaspolar which are on youtube which are worth viewing :

youtube.com/user/atlaspolar?feature=watch

hope this post helps

As much as i like moffetts, i find the manitou rear mount forklifts easier to use … the boom comes in handy to drag pallets across from one side of the bed to the other .

TMT55_Glamour-med.jpg

That rear mount looks like an Iceland christmas miniature party food telehandler :laughing:

All of your posts and PM’s of advice on the job, wages, hours, how the equipment behaves, trainers and test and type of training has been immense and so inciteful. Especially ukthugz for his detailed PM’s today!

I’m armed to the teeth now to take on the trainers and get some proper details hammered out with them to get some very good training hopefully to stand me in goodstead, ready for the real learning when I have to do it on my own day in day out!

Thank you for all the pictures too.

If anyone else has more information don’t be afraid to share it on here in case others would like to know stuff and I am really interested in this stuff, so off to get a ticket in it to join you boys as a dangerous know nothing newbie! :laughing:

Thank you again to you all.

I’ll keep anyone interested in my progress in due time.

C

Don’t forget the mounted flt will give you even more tail-swing than normal. There’s a glass bus shelter in Stockport that will bear witness to this! Also be sure to double check the tightness of the fasteners after remounting the beast on to the trailer.

Photo0078.jpg :open_mouth:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Don’t forget the mounted flt will give you even more tail-swing than normal. There’s a glass bus shelter in Stockport that will bear witness to this! Also be sure to double check the tightness of the fasteners after remounting the beast on to the trailer.

to be honest i forget its their half the time .lol

That’s be me too I can see it now, the time I remember its there I’ll panic and then whilst panicking I’ll take a parked car out or a bus shelter as Retired Old ■■■■ said. :open_mouth:

But hey at least one being on the back will make me concentrate even more on what the hell I am doing, so that can’t be a bad thing at all.

Thanks for the photo Thunderboots. That’s a nice looking motor with that on the back. Is that a Renault?

I can imagine once that rear axle comes up you have more swing than a cat o’nine tails or a ■■■■■■■ on a blue pill! :smiley:

One quick question for all you truck mounted fork lift drivers. When they are on the back and you are in town’s or busy junction, do you tend to shut down lanes earlier like artics do when they are using left/right filter lanes at traffic lights for example.

I imagine on the test they don’t take you out in a motor to show you what the tail swing is like. That’s all down to you now to take it into account, so you only learn the first day you go out in it? :imp:

Thanks

C

Its a Renault 370, tis nice and powerful. Thing is with curtains you cant see moffet in your mirrors so you do forget its there somtimes. Dont tend to take up more lanes than needed, just go for it and hope for the best :smiley: :smiley:

I was “going for it & hoping for the best” when I took out the bus shelter in Stockport!
Has anyone else noticed what a remarkable site those toughened glass shelters make when touched gently by a manoevering artic?

Mad of zbing sugar glass nowadays I imagine :laughing:

C

There’s a huge bang , then all that’s left is the metal frame and a pile of glass granules.
Very impressive!

One thing we learned with our Moffetts (we use M10 telescopics BTW) is that having a reversing camera which can be manually set to working in forward gear is very useful. As Thunderboots says you cannot see the Moffett when it’s mounted up, so if like us you are likely to deliver to farms and the like, with lots of tight windy lanes and sharp bends, the camera will save a lot of dings and scratches on the FLT.

Oh… and make sure the Moffett sidemarker lights are well protected. :wink:

Dear Sidevalve,

Thank you for that bud everything else. Excellent idea on the camera watching the rear all the time, I suspect your the lucky one as i imagine other firms are not so conscientious as yours on protecting their equipment whilst helping the driver.

One question, how do you make sure the side lights are well protected as surely they are put on by the manufacturer and we can’t tamper with them very much as they are for C+U reasons?

Thanks again for your helpful post.

C

just remembered…dont turn the wheel sideways,once mounted on the truck.if you catch it on the floor,youll pull the tyre off.

ukthugz:
the boom comes in handy to drag pallets across from one side of the bed to the other .

so long as you don`t accidentally put the forks through the curtain on the blind side. As some genius did to my trailer with a telehandler a while back