Missing KMS & night loaders

just wondering how things stand with night loaders & the slight but noticeable change in the KM reading from the end of your shift to the start of the next ?

eg ; a driver from another mill was stopped by VOSA & went through his tacho’s & noticed irregularities in his previous days finish KMS & his next day start KMS, to all intensive purposes they implied he may have been working off the card.

the actual reason for this was the lorry is shunted around the yard being loaded ready for the next day .

is this for the driver to prove he hasnt worked off the card , or for the authorities to prove he has ?
whats the ruling on this if there is any ? should the night loaders keep a record of each truck driven & kms recorded ? bearing in mind the night loaders arn’t always HGV license holders. i would assume the hgv holder should do cards for each vehicle he uses & loads , but what about other staff ?

We have guys called “SHUNTERS” who take our units/loads to Ireland tl tip/load and fill with diesel. Ive been stopped a few times by VOSA and nothings been said, if it did it can be traced back to these guys who go in and out of Ireland. But as yourself, sometimes the mechanic is doing a service etc and just jumps in and goes, no record, so in that case if I were pulled, questioned, then id just give them the bosses number and he/she could explain. When I am out the lorry thats me finished, anything happens whilst I am away is nothing to do with me. Id say your right with the guys should keep a log of what there doing, even something simple like a basic A4 bit of lined paper with REG’s and start/finish KMS, but saying that most guys are too lazy, especially if moving a lot of units.

We load out of Stobarts a lot and there shunters are in/out of the DIGITAL TACHO motors like yoyos on/off bays. Id tell your mate to give VOSA your bosses number and he can explain.

MolePower:
is this for the driver to prove he hasnt worked off the card , or for the authorities to prove he has ?

It’s up to the authorities to prove he has. Page 37 of the VOSA guide.

Coffeeholic:

MolePower:

It’s up to the authorities to prove he has. Page 37 of the VOSA guide.

thanks for that