Millau bridge

went via the millau the other week from boston to barca and took some photos thought you might like to see them.

really annoying that you can’t use the parking area just before the bridge in a truck to take some decent photos
there are some more on the next post

here are the rest

hope you like them :smiley:

Good photos :smiley:

IIRC the guy that designed it was English!!!
Good photos tho…There are some impressive structures in france, and Spain come to think of it…

Deepinvet:
IIRC the guy that designed it was English!!!
Good photos tho…There are some impressive structures in france, and Spain come to think of it…

It was designed by Sir Norman Foster.

It’s an amazing structure not just in looks and size, but in civil engineering terms.

I love this route down to Spain and although you can’t stop at the Aire at the Bridge, the next service area north (it off the N88 so you can get to it from both ways) has some good pictures and information on the bridge and also a nice view of a castle or fort. (Well it’s an old building of some kind and far better than a British service area :smiley: )

it is a good route if you’re coming south from anywhere near paris or calais to barcelona its by far the cheapest on tolls but my only gripe is that it’s a bit hilly especially when i’ve only got a 460 now. i used to have V8 scania but the bosses son wanted it 2 years ago and he bought me my actros instead, great cab crap engine :smiley:

I remember years ago when i did work for sony (bridgend to Viladecavalls nr Barcelonia and return) we used to go back millau way the motorway ended at the hotel/airfield i think and we would wind down into the town, then they started to build the 7 towers for the bridge and we’d say on the c b you’d not catch me up that high :exclamation: :exclamation: its wonderfull though just wish i taken photos of it being built think it was about 1994 :question:

Millau Viaduct is stunning, I always go that way to Spain if I can, just for the view and sod the diesel!

The landscaping on the southbound approach is entirely artificial and was designed so that the bridge appears, then disappears from view before coming into sight again, for heightened dramatic effect.

Here’s a dashboard POV I shot a couple of years back…

here’s a good pic of it:

what a quality picture looks like was taken during construction with some of the legs being red■■?
never noticed that much of a curve or is that the lens??

The Millau Viaduct is part of the new E11 expressway connecting Paris and Barcelona and features the highest bridge piers ever constructed.

The tallest is 240 metres (787 feet) high and the overall height is an impressive 336 metres (1102 feet), making this the highest bridge in the world.

It’s taller than the Eiffel Tower . Interestingly, the Millau Viaduct is not straight. Why?

It’s because a straight road could induce a floating sensation as you drive across it. So, a slight curve remedies that feeling.

The curve is 20km in range. Moreover, the road has a light incline of 3% to improve the visibility and reassure the driver.

An amazing engineering feat!

source unknown

How did you take that pic Driveroneuk :question: :question: :smiley:

Well, a few of us got together & chartered this helicopter…

I wish :laughing:

The same comment applies to it as in the last line of my post that immediately follows it :wink:

(Cheers for recent board techie help Simon)