Mileage allowance

Not strictly on topic but it is puzzling me.

A lot of us have to drive quite a way to work, so what i want to know is if MPs can have 40p per mile to get from work to home, and vice versa, why cant we?.

Vote BNP

If I use my car for business use, I get 40p / mile.

Sadly not for travel to and from work.

Thats an easy question to answer,according to the great british public your job is not of high importance,so why pay you an allowance,or even good working conditions,you are just a person who congests there roads and slows them down while they are on there way to work.

I phoned my local tax office about this,as i travel a round trip of a 100 miles.

But because i’m paye,and that is my usual place of work.I can not claim anything towards fuel.
The lady said i should work closer to home.

Tony b

The House of Commons is the MPs usual place of work, they also AS WELL as the mileage get an allowance (tax free) for housing in London which is nearly £500 per week and some claim BOTH■■?.

One labour MP has claimed £16.400 mileage and £21.000 London housing HOW■■?.

tonyb:
But because i’m paye,and that is my usual place of work. I can not claim anything towards fuel.

That’s the key point, it cannot be claimed for travelling to your usual place of work. Agency drivers should be able to claim it though as they don’t have a usual place of work. Currently you can claim 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles and 25 ppm thereafter. Motorcyclists can claim 24 ppm for all miles and pedal cyclists can claim 20 ppm for all miles. My wife is a carer and she uses the car to travel from client to client and very rarely actually goes to the office she is employed by. As a result she qualifies to claim the 40 ppm/25 ppm and does so each year.

You claim using form P87 which you can download HERE

Edward Teller:
The House of Commons is the MPs usual place of work,

Actually it isn’t. They are the MP for a constituency and the constituency office would be classed as their normal place of work. That’ll be one loophole they won’t be closing. :wink:

Edward Teller:
Not strictly on topic but it is puzzling me.

A lot of us have to drive quite a way to work, so what i want to know is if MPs can have 40p per mile to get from work to home, and vice versa, why cant we?.

Vote BNP

in our local rag this week[grantham journal ] it shows a list of what they claimed , the bit i had to read a few times to get my head round was
quote-NO MPS IN THE REGION CLAIMED FOR BICYCLE MILEAGE, ALTHOUGH THEY CAN CHARGE 20p PER MILE, next thing you know theyll be filling in exp claims for cycle clips and pink lycra shorts

Coffeeholic:

tonyb:
But because i’m paye,and that is my usual place of work. I can not claim anything towards fuel.

That’s the key point, it cannot be claimed for travelling to your usual place of work. Agency drivers should be able to claim it though as they don’t have a usual place of work. Currently you can claim 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles and 25 ppm thereafter. Motorcyclists can claim 24 ppm for all miles and pedal cyclists can claim 20 ppm for all miles. My wife is a carer and she uses the car to travel from client to client and very rarely actually goes to the office she is employed by. As a result she qualifies to claim the 40 ppm/25 ppm and does so each year.

Just to clarify what claim means…the 40/25p are Inland Revenue rates at which you are not deemed to make a profit. An employer may pay more than 40p/mile but you will be taxed on the extra, but similarily if you do get mileage paid at say 30p/mile then you can claim PAYE tax-relief on the 10p/mile “loss”

TC

Coffeeholic:

tonyb:

I travel by Publicktransport to and from Work and send all Tickets in

These greedy people also get a large number of free 1st class travel tickets on the railway for themselves and there family’s.

They also get there council tax for there main homes paid (Prescot towers in hull for instance) WHY■■?

Im in the fortunate position of being able to walk to work! Five mins from my front door to starting engine of truck! I reckon it saves me at least £1000 a year in fuel never mind the time I save. Doubly lucky as Mrs works in walking distance to her work too and lad walks to school. Keep thinking of moving jobs but this always comes back to me and prevents me from changing.

Imp:
Im in the fortunate position of being able to walk to work! Five mins from my front door to starting engine of truck! I reckon it saves me at least £1000 a year in fuel never mind the time I save. Doubly lucky as Mrs works in walking distance to her work too and lad walks to school. Keep thinking of moving jobs but this always comes back to me and prevents me from changing.

Congestion will only reduce when people start living nearer to where they work…

TC

The_Catman:

Or move the work closer to where they live!

I have long held a view that, for a large number of people working across a varied number of sectors, commuting daily to and from a ‘Call Centre’ is an anathema in this day and age.

Systems are in place that allow home terminals to securely act as ‘contact points’ for a variety of functions. Even monitored by wall mounted Webcams which would remotely monitor the activities of the ‘worker’ (when working).

It is just the (un)willingness of Management to consider such options that adds to our congested roads.

After all, if you’ve got a blown tyre that needs fixing, do you really care if the person on the other end of the phone is sitting in a plush, all singing and dancing, modern office, or at home in an upstairs bedroom with a sprogglette crawling around under their feet.

I suggest not.

Krankee:

The_Catman:

Or move the work closer to where they live!

I have long held a view that, for a large number of people working across a varied number of sectors, commuting daily to and from a ‘Call Centre’ is an anathema in this day and age.

Systems are in place that allow home terminals to securely act as ‘contact points’ for a variety of functions. Even monitored by wall mounted Webcams which would remotely monitor the activities of the ‘worker’ (when working).

It is just the (un)willingness of Management to consider such options that adds to our congested roads.

After all, if you’ve got a blown tyre that needs fixing, do you really care if the person on the other end of the phone is sitting in a plush, all singing and dancing, modern office, or at home in an upstairs bedroom with a sprogglette crawling around under their feet.

I suggest not.

Yes, I agree completely Krankee

TC