Magnetic and PIR lights, seat covers, height stick etc

OK, shopping time!

I’m after…

A magnetic rechargeable PIR sensor light which I can stick on the side of the unit at night to (try to) deter any fuel thieves.
A reasonably cheap but comfortable quick-remove seat cover that I can use in my 5-day tramping stints in the cab. Washable, fabric, not plastic.
A trailer height measuring stick that doesn’t cost £75!

I’ve Googled, ebayed and Amazoned all of the above, but there are many choices of widely varying quality.

Also, some drivers suggested I get a rechargeable set of marker lights which will keep me legal in laybys at night without flattening the battery by leaving all the sidelights on (surely a truck battery should be up to 9 hours of sidelights?!?). But I’m unclear as to whether ALL trailer position outline lights are required? Highway code just says “parking lights”, but I’m sure I read “outline marker lights” somewhere. Other drivers seem unsure - some say they get away with those flashing red rear bike lights, but that doesn’t seem right either.

Thanks!

Legally, you need all the prescribed “position lamps” to be lit - which means both sidelights at the front and both rear lamps, all “outline marker” lamps (ie top markers), side markers and number plate lamps.

There is an exemption to the above on a Restricted Road (ie one with street lamps and a 30mph speed limit) for cars, vans, motorbikes etc but this does not apply to lorries.

(edit to add: all as specified in S24 Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989)

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

When I’m driving at night I get to see very many lorries parked overnight in lay-bys. I would guess one percent have their lights on, so I would guess that having something on (bicycle lights) rather than nothing would mean you get let off or not even troubled.

As an aside, I left my rear work light on (I’m guessing 20w halogen) for 15 hrs and it used up half or less of the battery (I didn’t take a pic at the time, but it was about half. It can still start when it’s all the way to the bottom). So if your marker lights are led you should be laughing for overnight.

For trailer height I use a 5m tape measure, but I don`t run with very high trailers.
Measure top to a convenient point (base of bodywork) and then from there to ground.
Couple of quid fits in a pocket or bag.
Check suspension is in running mode, and check with any lift axle raised too.

Look for a pir light of your choice, and get a strong magnet and tube of glue separately.
(even more choice to sort out!) :smiley: