M180 closed

Traffic was pretty chaotic today around Scunthorpe/Gainsboro’ area as a result of the M180 being closed (for re-surfacing I believe). Anyone know how long this will last??

Signs say unto the weekend, took me 3hrs from Goole to Scunthorpe on my first trip, boss says go over the Humber bridge with your second & it took 3hrs too. Think they’re doing the west bound carriageway next week, the fun never stops

there also shutting section’s of the A180 as well, so getting to grimsby and immingham is gonna be fun… and the center of immingham also has roadwork’s as welll…

Various parts closed for most of august apparently.

Daz1970:
Traffic was pretty chaotic today around Scunthorpe/Gainsboro’ area as a result of the M180 being closed (for re-surfacing I believe). Anyone know how long this will last??

6am on Monday (11th) saying it be open :open_mouth: but I like the matrix signs “M180 closed J1 to J3 AVOID”

This from local paper shows all the relevant closures throughout august

scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/M1 … story.html

topdog1606:
This from local paper shows all the relevant closures throughout august

When you read that its saying one lane closed in the daytime so why have they closed it off■■?

Heres a update about j1 to j3

Has it been any better today■■?

I’ve scanned the links and it seems everyone with local knowledge is up in arms over this bizarre way of re-surfacing a very important link motorway. There have been some ridiculous journey times quoted. Possibly not the best time of year to carry out these repairs either i.e. the holiday season/extra traffic trying to get to Cleethorpes. One coach operator arrived at Cleethorpes yesterday from Hatfield/Thorne area at 15.30 (set off at 09.00) with a coach full of young kids & parents…Not good!!!

why did they not see it was doomed from the start, all the traffic heading to and from a major industrial town, 2 busy ports and all the east coast holiday traffic diverted down a single carriageway with a narrow bridge in the middle of it where 2 trucks cant enter/exit at the same time, absolute madness, someone wants sacking over this

I’ve a few trips up and down the m18 this week but haven’t been held up, but I did think closing the motorway seemed a tad drastic. There was a fairly long queue on the A63 for the Humber bridge at about 11am

I’ve heard that they have suspended the tolls over the Humber bridge until tomorrow at least to try and alleviate the traffic chaos.

I wonder just how much pressure had to be brought onto the bridge operators to do this at a time where it might actually have made enough money to finally make a profit?

Still cost me 12pound to get over the bridge today.

it was sometime this afternoon they stopped tolls, valid until noon tomorow, i wonder how many will still put the toll on the expense sheet :laughing:

well the highway’s agency have held their hand’s up and said they have ■■■■■■ up… they’re gonna get one lane open asap to try and help the congestion.

but as much as we hate the m180 at times due to how dull and boring it is, i’m so glad we have it…

Daz1970:

They are going to resurface the whole of the M180 on both sides ref : highways agency w/s and look under PROJECTS.

The M180 is one of the smoothest motorways in the country. It doesn’t even need resurfacing. Clearly backhanders going on between the contractor and the local council/HA.

philgor:
well the highway’s agency have held their hand’s up and said they have [zb] up… they’re gonna get one lane open asap to try and help the congestion.

but as much as we hate the m180 at times due to how dull and boring it is, i’m so glad we have it…

Should have just implemented a contraflow system right from the start & done one carriageway at a time, but they seem to have gone out of fashion.

The so called Highways Agency has faced criticism for the road closure with Cleethorpes MP Martin Vickers saying the public “have been let down”.

He said: “I have been in touch with senior officials at the Highways Agency who say they underestimated the amount of traffic. They had estimated a worst case scenario of 30 minute delays at peak time. Actually this was running at 2 hours plus and sometimes approaching 4 hours.

“The Highways Agency have massive resources at their disposal to assess traffic levels and develop computer models and yet we end up with this chaos. Yet again the public have been let down by a government agency and I shall be taking this further and raising it with ministers.

Full article HERE

I have said it many times on this forum it really is about time this so called ‘Highways Agency’ were held accountable to some governing body and fined for their total and utter incompetence they are a disgrace!!

Humber bridge now free until Monday

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-28706210

moomooland:
The so called Highways Agency has faced criticism for the road closure with Cleethorpes MP Martin Vickers saying the public “have been let down”.

He said: “I have been in touch with senior officials at the Highways Agency who say they underestimated the amount of traffic. They had estimated a worst case scenario of 30 minute delays at peak time. Actually this was running at 2 hours plus and sometimes approaching 4 hours.

“The Highways Agency have massive resources at their disposal to assess traffic levels and develop computer models and yet we end up with this chaos. Yet again the public have been let down by a government agency and I shall be taking this further and raising it with ministers.

Full article HERE

I have said it many times on this forum it really is about time this so called ‘Highways Agency’ were held accountable to some governing body and fined for their total and utter incompetence they are a disgrace!!

moomooland, as if the ministers give 2 hoots about what you say ! save ya breath and your ink and do something better with your time.