Lorryspotting Finland

HomoFaber:

Zetorpilot:
Very nice! I wonder what that bendy-bus is like to drive on black ice?!

Lot’s of “fun”, especially when it goes uphill, stalls, slides back and jack-knives… and you don’t have to be at the wheel of it, it’s enough to be behind one. Regular occurence in any country that sees temps below freezing point.

Actually they seem to cope surprisingly well during winter. What still today, even after observing those back-engine bendy-buses for six winters, surprises me is how easily they seem to be able to pull out of an ice covered bus stop or from a set of traffic lights, even when on an incline. Yes, it often isn’t just as smooth as in summer, but odd thing is that usually the drivers don’t seem to be even a careful with the amount of throttle they’re giving (often it seems like throttle has only two positions, full and idle, despite the weather :laughing:). If there happens to be a wheel spin when leaving lights, traction control pretty much takes care of it. When it’s really slippery they also rely on torque converter and let it pull the bus away from the worst spot at idle revs before getting enough traction to apply more throttle.

Of course it’s true they don’t behave on a snow like they do in the summer. When riding as a passenger on the back of a bendy-bus it’s not uncommon to feel some side-way sliding when going around a corner :smiley: Also when riding on them I’ve been on couple occasions almost certain it wouldn’t be able to pull out of the bus stop (at least by going forward), but somehow torque converter made it possible by pushing bus forward at idle revs little by little until there were better traction. Of course it also matters very much what kind of tyres are on drive axle (they do not use studded tyres, only enough sipes on tyre tread).

excellent, please keep them coming :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Some shots from odd days I did in late February.

Filling her up with winter flavour diesel.

Random Actros I encountered when I stopped for a break in a small cafe along a motorway.

Parked for a night. I parked next to this guy carrying fodder. Next morning he appeared to the same farm I was with his whole outfit… If there is more than one lorry going to a single farm during a week, the probability they’re going to be there at the same time is unbelievably close to a 100% :laughing:

I didn’t go all the way up to the farm although it is possible in good weather, like in this picture. I was bit hesitant as I hadn’t drove a lorry since September and even then it was a-frame, not an artic. This and the fact that farm and junctions leading there were unbeknown to me, and it was said there is one quite tight uphill junction led me to stay here and we did some load transferring with company’s another lorry to get me loaded again.

While waiting for the rigid to appear I observed sun climbing up to the sky.

After getting loaded there were more nice and quiet countryside roads.

Ah, vast, open roads. Now I only had to hold the steering wheel and enjoy the scenery. Or at least until the last few hundred km when temperature quickly rose from around -15 C, which was about highest it had been for last few months, to 0 C and even bit over it.

As it often happens, it begun to rain (water) just a little bit before I arrived to facility my load was going. I think I don’t have to point out how nice and shiny sheet of ice it made over everything :sunglasses: Good luck reversing to an uphill bay from a public, somewhat busy road with a rear steer trailer which locking mechanism didn’t work due to amount of snow and ice packed over the axles :unamused: :laughing:

Kyrbo:
Good luck reversing to an uphill bay from a public, somewhat busy road with a rear steer trailer which locking mechanism didn’t work due to amount of snow and ice packed over the axles :unamused: :laughing:

Ha ha! Comedy reversing fun! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Martin Benjamins:
Do you have pictures of Savikko and Kallot ?i see them quite often in Norway…

Here are few pictures of my fathers truck and some other Savikko’s :slight_smile:

I hope, it’s OK, if I put some pictures here :slight_smile:

this is the latest picture he sent me via mobile phone, no bull-bar (dno, if its this word, my english isnt very good :blush: ) because of the accident in norway and he also got a new trailer called b-juna (in finnish) or b-trailer, the whole length of the truck is now 25,25 metres.

This one was made in norway about 2 years ago in summer.

This picture was made in Sweden, near Sundsvall i guess, 6 Savikko trucks (2 missing from the picture, including my fathers :smiley:)

Volvo FH13 480

This man isn’t actually Savikko’s but its, hmm, subcontractor? (if its the right word for this) TG-A 26.530

My fathers truck, next to it, its my uncles scania, somewhere near Helsinki.

Rovaniemi 2008

The day, my father got this truck, brand new R500 :slight_smile:

this is my father’s friend truck in Venice, Italy 2005

loading in Fougeres, France
this was my father’s truck in year 2004 or 2005, when he was drivin in Western-Europe

This was my fathers first truck in savikko, 530hp MAN TG-A, 25,25 metres long

near norwegian border

Somewhere in Norway

Somewhere in Sweden

Very nice kiko! We se Savikko trucks down here in Etelä-Karjala occasionally, and they were one of the firms I sent my CV to recently :slight_smile:

kiko:
I hope, it’s OK, if I put some pictures here :slight_smile:

Hi kiko,

Of course it’s OK to put some pictures here. :smiley:

We would like you to put lots of pictures here. :arrow_right: Please!! :grimacing:

I would like to see some pictures of ADR tankers if that’s possible please kiko. :smiley:

And some more pictures from Zetorpilot and Kyrbo would be very nice too. :wink:

I’ve done Denmark, Sweden and Norway, but I didn’t complete my Scandinavia set cos I never got to Finland. :frowning: :cry: :cry:

OK Dieseldave, here’s an ADR tanker for you:

That’s my mates MEPA combo - the tank is built into the floor and down between the chassis rails so that he can take a general haulage load out, and backload nasty chemicals. I’ll try to get a photo with the curtains open if you like.

I’m still on an elderly F12 tipper - this is meant to take a general haulage load in one direction, and backload with granular, non-ADR chemicals for stationary tipping onto a conveyor. Occasionally though I get an earthmoving job (and funny looks from all the 8-wheeler drivers on site!):

Pulling forward to complete the tip isn’t the most fun I’ve ever had, but it hasn’t gone over yet :open_mouth:

The biggest pain with the w&d tipper is having to split the wagon to tip:

Still, it will carry a few more tonnes than a regular artic tipper, and can carry a general haulage load too, even if the payload is only around the 36 tonnes mark, as opposed to around 40 for a normal general haulage wagon. Soon we are suposed to be getting a new chassis cab, the old body will be swapped over.

Hey,

Well, im actually living in Estonia and see finnish trucks only in summer. I dont have any other pictures of the trucks because I haven’t had any reason to take pictures of random trucks but now when I discovered some forums about trucks, I will start doing this as soon as possible, at the moment I have only a few pictures of my dad’s truck but I’m going to a 3 month trip to Scandinavia with my dad, so I will take photos of as many trucks as possible :grimacing:

cheers :smiley:

A few more pictures I found

and a bit advertising here lol :smiley:

Here’s some of my pictures…

Pictures from Power Truck Show 2007

Old Sisu

Volvo FH 660

These are taken on the road…

Mercedes 3354

And my “own” truck, Volvo FH 520 -08, picture taken in march 2010

Robbe:
Here’s some of my pictures…

And my “own” truck, Volvo FH 520 -08, picture taken in march 2010

How odd, this surprisingly looks familiar. I think I saw something similar Sunday, week ago, parked at Härkäpakari around 15.00 and then coming opposite direction on VT 12 near Kangasala at Wednesday, somewhere between 10.00 and 12.00.

This is my steed for this month.

And something like this has been typical load for the week I’ve been driving it.

Kyrbo:
How odd, this surprisingly looks familiar. I think I saw something similar Sunday, week ago, parked at Härkäpakari around 15.00 and then coming opposite direction on VT 12 near Kangasala at Wednesday, somewhere between 10.00 and 12.00.

And something like this has been typical load for the week I’ve been driving it.

Robbe:
I saw Kyrbo on vt 12 in Kangasala on wednesday…

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
Finland is a small place :slight_smile:

Robbe:
Finland is a small place :slight_smile:

Indeed it is :slight_smile:

A foodchip/peat hauling outfit.

A really rare sight, Premium as a logger and this particular unit even had a super singles on its tag axle instead of more typical double tyres.

This goes for Martin Benjamins :slight_smile:

This guy has plenty of power.

Tanker with either cleaned tanks or with some non-hazardous load as there’s no ADR-plates visible.

What’s happening here? No, DAF 85CF rusting away isn’t the right answer :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s another type of tanker hauling paper reels from a paper mill to a port and some heavy liquid stuff weighing 2 kg per litre from the port back to the mill

Here’s me loading paper reels at some evening.

As Finland is quite small place it’s no big surprise I popped up with Zetorpilot on day after filling up. This is the lorry he was driving at that time.

more brilliant pictures! that fh with the tanker in and lifting roof is a rare piece of kit :sunglasses:

Kyrbo:

A really rare sight, Premium as a logger and this particular unit even had a super singles on its tag axle instead of more typical double tyres.

Highway use only… Lightweight outfit to transfer wood to the factory. Other trucks collect them from the forrest

■■■■! I’ve been caught driving a “potkulauta” :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Parked next to this very tidy b-train a couple of days back (the red Volvo is “mine”, I was moonlighting for the old firm for a few shifts)

The body on the link is demountable, so presumably a 40’ could be fitted if the b-trailer wasn’t needed. The link body is also on a sledge, so that it can be moved backwards for loading through the back doors.

Yesterday I was back on my regular job, and saw this unusual side tipping trailer which came in to unload while I was tipping my prime mover:

The prime mover tipped in the regular way, the same as with my combination (posted previously on this thread, although I have a new chassis cab under the old body now)

Zetorpilot:
Yesterday I was back on my regular job, and saw this unusual side tipping trailer which came in to unload while I was tipping my prime mover:

The prime mover tipped in the regular way, the same as with my combination (posted previously on this thread, although I have a new chassis cab under the old body now)

The trailer is made for peat… Pretty usual sight in northern finland and Tampere region…

Robbe:
The trailer is made for peat… Pretty usual sight in northern finland and Tampere region…

Yeah - I was wondering if this one has the chains in the floor, and thought probably not?