Looking for info on training centres South West

Hi guys,

I have too many years stuck in the arse end of retail or customer services. Currently I run a motorway forecourt and seeing all those HGV’s going past has finally got to me and I am now taking the plunge and training towards a full HGV licence. I have read and re-read much of the advice on this forum and have narrowed my training provider down to two choices:

Scania (Avonmouth)
Paul Williams (Gloucester)

I am living and working in Gloucester at present,

Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad or is there any other trainer I have overlooked in the area others may recommend?

Also what is general consensus of the Scanias Start Plus program? I can see the lure for someone like me who is coming fresh into the industry but its still quite an extra bit of cash.

All help appreciated.

Ben

check out the link in my signature below

If you don’t mind a bit of a commute each day then I highly recommend WTTL IN DEVIZES, Wiltshire. I passed my class one with them and they were astoundingly professional. Good equipment and great instructors.

Also I do believe that Peter smythe,whom is a regular contributor to these forums hosts residential courses, and I understand that he is also utterly fantastic.

Good luck

Hi guys,

thanks for the replys.

Rog. I had a good look through all the relevant links (over the course of the last few months) and the two trainers I mentioned were based off my own research off the “Recommended list”. I was just checking really if anyone had any personal experience with them.

ps I also have the page bookmarked on my browser for the great videos and info you have on the more day to day aspects of the job. A big thankyou for compiling all those useful links :smiley:

Chunkzilla thanks for the info on WTTL I just think at the moment Devizes is a little outside my commute zone.

As I have already been mentioned, I’ll chuck in my 2 pennyworth.

Residential course is £1215 fully inclusive of VAT, 1:1 training, test fee and free accommodation.

We are also on the DVSA list of Accredited LGV Training Centres. Check it out: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

In an industry where instructors do not have to be trained, registered or qualified, this is a form of quality assurance.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Give these guys a call

mttrainingservices.co.uk/

I did my Mod 4 & C+E with them. Excellent trainers and good kit

I did my Class 1 with Scania (Purfleet). Past first time with 4 minors :slight_smile: one on one training over 4 half days with test on the 5th day. As a whole I couldn’t fault them drove a brand new 15 plate and the instructor was a genuine nice guy. I’d expect the same at other branches. Good luck

Hi guys.

I ended up going with Scania and forked out the extra cash for the Star Plus and was glad I did, Had a couple of Issues with the DVLA and and the Doctor who did my medical which left me without my licence for nearly seven weeks!!! With Scania organising the whole lot I had no problems rearranging test dates etc when the delays caused problems.

I passed my class C theory, hazard perception and CPC case studies on Monday and am looking forward to my practical week at the beginning of December.

Hoggydog:
Hi guys.

I ended up going with Scania and forked out the extra cash for the Star Plus and was glad I did, Had a couple of Issues with the DVLA and and the Doctor who did my medical which left me without my licence for nearly seven weeks!!! With Scania organising the whole lot I had no problems rearranging test dates etc when the delays caused problems.

I passed my class C theory, hazard perception and CPC case studies on Monday and am looking forward to my practical week at the beginning of December.

Good choice, I missed this post last month. I would of not recommended paul Williams from my personal expirance.

One of the worst things was the Gear box in the lorry. it was knacked to the point that finding a cog was almost total gess work :open_mouth: . Trucks were also all sh#t tips inside as was the yard witch must of had near a dozen smashed up cars and old lorrys dumped all over the place in it.

Had two diffrent trainers in the same week. Both with two diffrent ways of training. Well i say diffent ways of training. The first one who could not even muster the energy to say hello or even ask my name, just asked if I smoked to witch I said yes so from there on after he sat in total silents day dreaming out the passenger window the hole time smoking never ending roll ups. This was about the extent of his training input.

The other one I got on the last two days spent the hole time winging about the over heads of running the trucks and all the crap and hassle he had all month. I think this talk was motivated mainly because I had it out with the office staff over them shortening the agreed hours of training witch I think thay were hoping I wouldn’t notice, so I payed them Less because of this. I think he felt i was the one that sort changed him ! :imp: ?

I was totally unprepared to take on a test by the end of the week. I had no confidence that I could pass. I gess i might of had half a chance if gear box was not so badly broken.

This was my personal expirance of a week spent at this “training” centre :frowning: . I haven’t over stated anything here or made anything up. It’s simple my truth of what it was like just has it happend. Needless to say I didn’t use them again. all I will say is this was some years agin now. So maybe thay have got there act together now… :confused:

… and STILL folks wont listen!! The training industry is totally unregulated. Anyone with a licence for 3 years can buy a rusty old truck still L plates on it and call themselves a driving school. Scary - but absolutely true. There is an accreditation system but this is voluntary - unfortunately.

The list of accredited trainers is here: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

It’s not exceedingly difficult to achieve registration but certain standards have to be met and maintained. So if your trainer isn’t on the list, ask why? I am not saying that someone not accredited is bad. Just genuinely wondering why they haven’t bothered. At least the customer can be sure of a level of competence and professionalism rather than guessing.

… and avoid being the victim of poor training.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well, I recently did my PCV with Paul Williams and didn’t have any problems, although I’ve had C and C+E for more than 10 years, so the trainer had a pretty easy ride.

Peter Smythe:
It’s not exceedingly difficult to achieve registration but certain standards have to be met and maintained. So if your trainer isn’t on the list, ask why? I am not saying that someone not accredited is bad. Just genuinely wondering why they haven’t bothered. At least the customer can be sure of a level of competence and professionalism rather than guessing.

Perhaps their reputation is good enough that they’re always fully booked anyway, and don’t need the extra hassle for what would be no obvious gain.

Hoggydog:
Hi guys.

I’ve just completed my Class 2 with Scania in Avonmouth, would highly recommend them both Pete and Chris are excellent. Good luck for your training in December, I’ve got my Class 1 in mid-December again at Scania.

MrFlibble:
Well, I recently did my PCV with Paul Williams and didn’t have any problems, although I’ve had C and C+E for more than 10 years, so the trainer had a pretty easy ride.

Peter Smythe:

Perhaps their reputation is good enough that they’re always fully booked anyway, and don’t need the extra hassle for what would be no obvious gain.

Well that doesn’t make useing a truck with a broken gear box alrite. It’s wrong to do things like that. Others don’t need the extra hassle of that. :unamused:

jrt:
Well that doesn’t make useing a truck with a broken gear box alrite. It’s wrong to do things like that. Others don’t need the extra hassle of that. :unamused:

I didn’t say that it was; I was just responding in the general case. Peter was asking why more schools haven’t signed up to the accreditation scheme, and my answer seems to be a valid response - after all, why incur extra hassle (=cost) if it doesn’t actually give you any appreciable benefit?