LGV Examiners

Just a thought that might help newbies about to take their test - Examiners are a great bunch of guys and gals (mostly)!

No, I’m not an Examiner myself, just an ordinary guy who’s passed C and CE myself in the last two months. On my most recent test (the CE, passed yesterday), my Examiner was very, very fair to me - even if his decision had gone the other way, I would still have respected that decision and considered I’d been very fairly treated.
Why? Well, when I encountered unexpected problems on the uncouple/couple exercise, he encouraged me to take the time to sort it out and used careful questions to point me in the right direction. (Of course, he didn’t intervene, or tell me how to solve the problems, but he did give me every opportunity to overcome the snag.)
Then, he was very patient and calm, even though I’d totally destroyed his planned timing for the test - and was going to run into his lunch break. He didn’t put me under pressure and made sure all aspects of the test were properly completed. The minors that he faulted me on were absolutely fair and he gave me good feedback at the end of the test.

I think it might help all newbies on test to think to themselves, “This Examiner is a highly trained, rigorously supervised professional, who wants me to pass. He/she will treat me courteously and fairly and give me every chance to show I meet the test standard.”

Best wishes for your own tests, ladies and gentlemen!

Congrats on your recent passes. And yes you are correct. Examiners are highly trained professionals who are there to oversee the competence of the candidate. They are fair. It takes a lot more paperwork to fail someone than it does to pass them. My examiner told me that.

If you are a safe competent driver, then you should have no problems passing.

The most common thing they ask is - are you happy with that? - at that point you know something is not right - so check again

Good post and well balanced. Candidates have an unfounded fear of examiners. We always encourage candidates to discuss any tricky moment during the test explaining why a certain decision was taken. It helps resolve that moment of DID I DO RIGHT OR NOT.

I could write a book on this subject but it’s good to see a newbie sticking up for the examiner. In fact the whole subject of passing the test needs a book. An idea for 2014 !