Laptop in lorry

what do i need to run a laptop in lorry

i have a 12v 200w inverter but never used it would this be ok or do i need a 24v bigger inverter

all new to me never used a laptop in lorry before

thanks

a 24v inverter would be better :wink:

i use a 300w inverter, powers it fine

I used a 12v 200w inverter and it worked fine.

The best £4 I ever spent on eBay! :smiley:

you can buy 12v laptop chargers, they come with every concievable plug and have a range of power outputs - think mine goes from 14v to 22v in 1v steps. i bought one for a tenner first time round but it didnt have the guts to run the laptop which at the time was a toshiba 19v(it produced 19v ok but naff all ampage) - so on further investigation i spent a little more and got the one i have now which is about 6 years old now and works fine. got it off ebay :smiley:

Look on the back of the laptop at the power consumption label. If it doesn’t say the watts it will show the voltage and amps (current) drawn. You can work it out 240V x amps= watts. eg a laptop that consumes 3 amps is 3 x 240 = 720 Watts. Make sure your inverter can supply enough watts to power your lappy.

If you have the money and depending on what you want from a computer go for an iPad or other tablet. Smaller, lighter great for surfing and watching vids.

Edit … Sorry bad example I was looking at the power supply hence 240 Volts. My laptop is 15V at 6 amps which is 90 watts.

Ched:
Look on the back of the laptop at the power consumption label. If it doesn’t say the watts it will show the voltage and amps (current) drawn. You can work it out 240V x amps= watts. eg a laptop that consumes 3 amps is 3 x 240 = 720 Watts. Make sure your inverter can supply enough watts to power your lappy.

If you have the money and depending on what you want from a computer go for an iPad or other tablet. Smaller, lighter great for surfing and watching vids.

Edit … Sorry bad example I was looking at the power supply hence 240 Volts. My laptop is 15V at 6 amps which is 90 watts.

LOL. Glad you did the edit. Was going to say you’d have one hell of a warm lap if your laptop uses 720 watts. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

If you’re running it off a mains inverter you need to look at how much current it draws at 240V and they’re typically below 300W.

Conor:

Ched:

LOL. Glad you did the edit. Was going to say you’d have one hell of a warm lap if your laptop uses 720 watts. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

If you’re running it off a mains inverter you need to look at how much current it draws at 240V and they’re typically below 300W.

Hehe yeah I saw my maths said 720 watts, posted, then thought hell my microwave uses less than that :laughing: Go by the the appliances power consumption. Like I said my lappy is 15V 6 amps, but the power supply is 240V. The lappy is the end of the chain so it is the main power consumer hence 90 watts not 720!

been running my laptop for years on a 12v 150 watts invertor. There will be no problems with your 200 watter!! :slight_smile:

maplin.co.uk/universal-3a-dc … ply-228639

This always worked well for me

I have this inverter, mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=97061 and it runs both my laptop (65w) and my iPhone charger at the same time with no problems. Can’t comment on any others but this works for me and is a bargain at £39!!