Kettles, TV's etc

Looks like i will be doing a couple of nights out a week & although i’ve had my licence several years most of my work has always been return to base just the very rare night out, so looks like i’m going to need to get myself some kit. Mainly a kettle, tv and a basic cooker or oven, my main thing is do i need an inverter to use this stuff or can i just use it through the 12/24v point, if i do need an inverter then what sort do i need seen one on roadking.co.uk for £39.99 150w soft start 24v will this power my stuff or is it a waste of time, also on the same site they got cooker for 39.99 again my same question about that or will it be just as good usin the 24v point.

personally i wouldn’t bother with a tv, just use a laptop or tablet and tether off a big / unlimited phone data allowance and or a freeview dongle.
i always used a 12 volt trust 120w laptop charger, can be had for about £25. a few laptops don’t like 240v inverters.

for a kettle i used to use 24v ones - £15 / £20. a lot of people don’t like them because they tend to not last that long so prefer a camping gas stove. i had a stove as back up. i’d use the electric one on the move but not the gas one.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Notebook-Lapt … 56530fdd4a

outdoorclearance.co.uk/index … googlebase

ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-RIDE-24V- … 3a88a7faad

stevieboy308:
personally i wouldn’t bother with a tv, just use a laptop or tablet and tether off a big / unlimited phone data allowance and or a freeview dongle.
i always used a 12 volt trust 120w laptop charger, can be had for about £25. a few laptops don’t like 240v inverters.

for a kettle i used to use 24v ones - £15 / £20. a lot of people don’t like them because they tend to not last that long so prefer a camping gas stove. i had a stove as back up. i’d use the electric one on the move but not the gas one.

amazon.co.uk/Trust-Compact-N … ref=sr_1_3?
ie=UTF8&qid=1388928685&sr=8-3&keywords=trust+laptop+charger

outdoorclearance.co.uk/index … googlebase

ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-RIDE-24V- … 3a88a7faad

Only problem with using data on a tablet is if you r in a crap area for the night you wont get a signal. Gas stove n a good flask aint a bad idea makes semse to me. Are they ok to use in cab with windows open because the gas.

you can always download programs to the tablet / lappy in advance as a backup, iplayer have started rolling this out and sky want a £5 a month. you can buy dongles to turn tablets / laptops into tv’s without using any data. but i probably had similar, if not more issues getting a freeview / analogue tv signal than a data one.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Freev … 5d41bc0865

ebay.co.uk/itm/Elgato-EyeTV- … 3a87adcd74

yeah it’s fine to use gas in the truck so long as you’re sensible with it

stevieboy308:
you can always download programs to the tablet / lappy in advance as a backup, iplayer have started rolling this out and sky want a £5 a month. you can buy dongles to turn tablets / laptops into tv’s without using any data. but i probably had similar, if not more issues getting a freeview / analogue tv signal than a data one.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Freev … 5d41bc0865

ebay.co.uk/itm/Elgato-EyeTV- … 3a87adcd74

yeah it’s fine to use gas in the truck so long as you’re sensible with it

Good point i forgot about sky go. Already subscribe to that for the kids. Cheaper than multiroom also play dvds :blush:
Was worried about carbon monoxide but suppose with windows open should be fine. Just trying to keep costs down a bit as itll probally only be 2 nights a week.

I had one of those flat type gas rings where you push a lever down to connect the gas cylinder. Parked up at Friedrickshaven on a Sat evening for an exhibition of 5 days and plugged in the 'lectric kettle … kaput !!! It’s OK I’ll use the gas ring, dug it out pushed down the lever and filled my ordinary kettle while listening to the radio. I then ignited the gas and Whoosh :open_mouth: :open_mouth: yellow flames up to my knees ! Moral of the story is either check the sealing ‘O’ ring is intact or don’t have the radio on so you could hear the gas escaping :blush: I then had no independent way of makin a cuppa or any hot food until the bloody Tuesday as everywhere was shut but I had a good supply of ‘low flyer’ to give me solace :slight_smile:

edit … had no hair on me legs either as I was wearing shorts !!

I’ve had several different electric kettles over the years and they all burn out or short the power point. never had one that lasted more than about 3 months. I now use a flat gas ring…never have any problems, and it boils water a lot bloody quicker too!

Born Idle:
I’ve had several different electric kettles over the years and they all burn out or short the power point. never had one that lasted more than about 3 months. I now use a flat gas ring…never have any problems, and it boils water a lot bloody quicker too!

You’re right about 24v kettles burning out the power point. I’ve now got my Waeco wired into the Anderson clip. One blessing in disguise on the slow boil is that you can have an unopened can of soup, all day breakfast etc in the kettle which heats perfectly whilst the water is boiling up.

I use a gas stove with windows up ok just open em slightly if cooking smell gets a but much use a camping kettle much better less likely to break as for TV use a lappy and dongle 3 is a decent signal even in areas you wouldn’t expect

I’ve got a tv dongle to plug into the laptop, but alps have an external hardrive full of films etc.
Not doing nights out at the moment, but when I did I always used a gas burner, whistling kettle. Fill your flask with boiling water on a morning, then your all set for a quick brew during the day.
I always separate the burner and the gas cylinder once finished. Maybe I’m just a worrier?

I boil a flask before I leave for work, by the end of a 15 it’s usually getting too cold for a cuppa, so blast it on my gas stove takes less than a minute for a cuppa worth of water, also if you have a stove and get a couple of mess tins, you can have whatever you like for lunch and cook in the cab, better than stale sarnies.

Yep - get yourself a freeview dongle for TV …no data signal required as it just acts like a normal Freeview TV Aerial…i have one for android that lets me watch TV on my HTC One\Samsung Galaxy or on my Tablet (Asus Transformer) - mine cost just over £50 a few months back - maybe cheaper options?.. but the best thing i ever bought for tramping :slight_smile:

(It’s both mini and standard USB connection)

Hi all!
I am lookin for some 24v kettle aswell.
There’s a cheap ones an not so.
Some not lasting for long some will do.
20min boiling time is fine to me.
Just want to find most trusted one.
Same for microwave. Prices vary from 40-400ish.
Had a read about inverters, but they are pricey aswell
and need extra wiring job to be done.
Thank’s in advance!

I’d have a seperate tv to your ipad/internet thing as if you can’t get one you can generally get the other and you can be greedy and use the internet while watching tellyv, I use a flat gas cooker with the window down slightly to let air in (one of those things lit in a closed space with no ventilation will take all the oxygen out of the air). Get a decent caravan aerial and a LCD tv, for that ebay is your friend-I picked up my 12v 21" tv for £27!