Kenworths in the UK

Piles of junk :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Years ago these may have looked like real trucks compared to a Leyland Mandator or an old Atkinson etc but they are so old fasioned and out of date, I would rather have a 1975 Scania than a brand new KW, Peterbuilt or any other US built truck.
I drive a 2006 Frieghtliner Columbia that is not as advanced as the 1975 F88 I learned to drive in.

Hello Pat, and everybody. Pat I could not disagree with you, I had a short spell working in the US in the early eighties, it was a real eye opener, working conditions, and the condition of the average truck! But they had a certain charm, a bit like an Atkinson Borderer, with a better cab, and I enjoyed importing them into Europe, they earned me a bob or two, and unlike Scania or Volvo I never had any customer complaints. Cheerio.

Pat Hasler:
Years ago these may have looked like real trucks compared to a Leyland Mandator or an old Atkinson etc but they are so old fasioned and out of date, I would rather have a 1975 Scania than a brand new KW, Peterbuilt or any other US built truck.
I drive a 2006 Frieghtliner Columbia that is not as advanced as the 1975 F88 I learned to drive in.

But zb strong,fast,reliable,comfortable piles of junk :smiley: .

All depends on your definition of ‘junk’ and ‘advanced’ assuming that you’ve grown up with zb synchro boxes instead of understanding the benefits of using a proper box and could it be that you’re only basing some of your opinions on driving fleet spec yank versions of guvnor’s wagons versus the real thing of overpowered,overspecced,good old fashioned yank excess :smiley: :question: . :bulb:

Saviem:
Hello Pat I enjoyed importing them into Europe, they earned me a bob or two, and unlike Scania or Volvo I never had any customer complaints. Cheerio.

Probably because unlike many Brits those customers could understand the benefits of using them versus euro and Brit wagons. :bulb:

Pat Hasler:

Leyland Mandator ■■? even the Marathon wasn`t Leylands

well, all the trucks have come on in leaps and bounds over the last twenty years, so you have to take a perspective on them all,I have a new one and a couple of old uns, and the differance is amazing,even going back to a 142 is like the dark ages now,back breakers on steel, few people mention that any more, anyway i got some lovely rose tinted sunglasses, and i want a lhd kw 100 aerodyne !

Saviem:
Hello Pat, and everybody. Pat I could not disagree with you, I had a short spell working in the US in the early eighties, it was a real eye opener, working conditions, and the condition of the average truck! But they had a certain charm, a bit like an Atkinson Borderer, with a better cab, and I enjoyed importing them into Europe, they earned me a bob or two, and unlike Scania or Volvo I never had any customer complaints. Cheerio.

Just a quicky, seddon atkinson border! with charm !, most of the ones i drove had wood worm, not charm, i remember slamming the door and half the roof coming down on ya, i used to drive it wearing a hat …

I must admit the White road commander was always the cab over American truck I kiked

Hello all, KR79, if you ever get tempted by a White (Road Commode), make sure that some wise man has fitted it with a F89 axle, otherwise its a collapsable Commode! Cheerio.

This one not been posted yet seen at Border city steam & vintage rally end May bank holiday

Carlisle 016.JPG

erframs:
CAN ANY 1 HELP ME I AMLOOKING TO FIND MY DADS 2 OLD KENWORTHS K100 HE USED TO RUN TO EURPE THE REGS ARE RTT128W THAT USED TO BELONG TO BEAVER SPORTS AT HUDERSFILED AND THE OTHER REG IS GVV55X THAT HE BOUGHT OUT A SCRAP YARD IN ENGLAND BACK IN THE 1990S

gvv55x this truck i think my dad imported from the states back in mid eighties we brought back a few kenworthes a peterbuilt and i think a freightliner 2 pictures are on here we sold them to a firm in oswersty red and grey i think one was written off in a bad accident gvv55x if i remember was a white one had tortune bar suspention we ran it for a bit then sold it to our driver he did continental work with it may have even gone to mid east he ended up running it on a timber trailer before calling it a day it sat in our yard for 6 months and then got sold to a guy in scotland if its not the one send me some more details of it and i will try to trace i i am sure its one of our old one s rgds john

JBJ:

erframs:
CAN ANY 1 HELP ME I AMLOOKING TO FIND MY DADS 2 OLD KENWORTHS K100 HE USED TO RUN TO EURPE THE REGS ARE RTT128W THAT USED TO BELONG TO BEAVER SPORTS AT HUDERSFILED AND THE OTHER REG IS GVV55X THAT HE BOUGHT OUT A SCRAP YARD IN ENGLAND BACK IN THE 1990S

gvv55x this truck i think my dad imported from the states back in mid eighties we brought back a few kenworthes a peterbuilt and i think a freightliner 2 pictures are on here we sold them to a firm in oswersty red and grey i think one was written off in a bad accident gvv55x if i remember was a white one had tortune bar suspention we ran it for a bit then sold it to our driver he did continental work with it may have even gone to mid east he ended up running it on a timber trailer before calling it a day it sat in our yard for 6 months and then got sold to a guy in scotland if its not the one send me some more details of it and i will try to trace i i am sure its one of our old one s rgds john

hi thanks for the reply yes thats the one it was white and it would have been my dad that bought it from yous my dad yoused to do europe in it for about two years then he bought rtt128w that was a arodyne and the engine went and we took the engine out of gvv55x to put in rtt128w she must have sat in our shed for about 4 years before he sold hur i dont know who bought hur but we ran rtt128w up untill 1997_1998 the we sold hur to uncle sams american curcuis would love to find out were thay are now and would love to buy another 1 thanks if you have any more info that would be great thanks ramsay

adr:
Taken at Truckfest, but did anyone work her?

Someone was certainly working her in this first pic,driving down into Dover :sunglasses:

IMG_0012.jpg

Hello Gavin. I dont expect you to remember me but I have followed your threds on here for a couple of years. I was never able to get past the filter that kicks out the scams, when trying to register!! Always in places around the world not very nice places. Anyway I grew up in Burnham, and met you on ocasions. Once when i was loading Kethup sachets and paper headrest covers for Tarain Air some where in Essex. I was working for a dutch company at the time, that was around 83 or 84, you had your KW. I loaded for Tairan. Anyway having worked for some of the best or worst companys in the UK & some years working in war zones I ended up living in Canada. Worked for one of your old friends in Manitoba. Dave Prince. I finnaly settled on Vancouver Island were i have a small equestrian centre & Hay business. Anyway this is my 2003 KW100E with a 475HP N14. It was a 230" wb tractor unit but i extended the chassis behind the axle & fitted a 60’000lb hitch. Put a flat deck body with container locks and have a couple of trailers. I can get 300 bales on the truck & 600 on the trailer. With this set up I can leave the trailer at home & deliver 300 bales to the smaller Islands where ferry costs are upto $14 per foot. So compaired to a conventional tractor trailer I save a lot of cash. I must admit I would have liked a truck without the dog box but it does have some charm. One day I will probably retire back to the UK and I will probably bring it with me. Cant see me being able to run Hay around the Somerset & Devon roads with my trailer but could use a regular trailer. Well Cheers JJ
truck1.jpg

DSCF0188.JPG

Pallet_racking_to_Ft_McMurray.JPG

She’s a beauty Saxonhorse :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How many gallons do those tanks hold?

Evening all, Saxonhorse, what a lovely lorry!! That upright exhaust is fine with those “green bales”, but I would recommend a chassis instalation if they have had good turning, and a lot of “soliel”! Got to cut the fire risk! What can you make of little bales in Canada? To the local horsey people I get £6.00, for little bales, (delivered), but lots are going on Haylage. (doesnt it stink). I sometimes deliver "big" orders on my Scammel Scarab, and dropframe Scammel trailer, (c1958), gets a lot of good reaction, and life is exciting at 25mph! One of my old KWs became a 4x2, and ended up with a hay and straw man in East Anglia, but with that turning circle he would have needed straight roads! I can sympathise with you over the cost of “short sea” ferry crossings, when we send any equipment over to our farm on the Isle of Man, boy oh boy it must be the most expensive short sea crossing in the world!! Do you use a dolly on your trailers, to make them drawbars? We have had problems here with farm trailers using our dollies, it would seem that the VOSA men, (quasi pretend policemen), must have had a course on them!! Still it takes all sorts I suppose. Lovely pictures, lovely outfit, wish I was thirty years younger! Good luck, Cheerio for now.

Thanks for the compliments, its reasuring to hear cheers. Well the tanks hold 150 gallons each, so i can run quite a way on a full tank. & to answer Saviem on a few points. Firstly let me ask, How did you get that name? I once drove a Saviem, 18 speed column change :imp: Had it on loan from Cheltnham, it took me all the time to fiquier out what bloody gear i was in & where the next one was, very embarrasing :blush: Anyway glad to talk to a fellow Hay hauler, though a scammel scarab !! 3 wheeler if i remember right. This must be a labour of love & not a comercial enterprise :wink: In fact i belive mine is the same as trying to find enough work to keep my head above water was a nightmare. I still have it but i have gone back working in iraq until things get better at home, then i will start up again. I always sheet the loads so its not a worry about the stack, but i do intend to put a straight stack just a little taller. Had considerd a chassis exuast but just havent had the cash to do it. Had to put a new gearbox in after a major F*** Up by a local garage. Just needed the shift cleaning and a new seal, as KW were closed over christmass a local guy said he could do that, a week later when he put all the bits back together he turned it over & it went Bang. blew the gear box up, as he hadent timed the cogs, anyway turned out that his insurance was void, so i ended up with an $11000 bill, KW were good they collected the truck & bits and fitted a new one. it took me a year to pay it off.
Regarding the Hay, I sell an 55-60lb bale for $12 I buy it for between $4 & $6 depending on what it is, 2008 was a very hard year as Alberta had a bad crop & i was having to pay up to $7 for decent Horse hay, Its a round trip of at least 2500km so getting a good paying load out is vital. As i started my business just as the world crashed it became extreamly hard to find loads. I was lucky to get one load a month, & absolutly nothing at home on local work. all the local companys never gave ■■■■ away. so i went back over seas in march 2010 but will start up again when i can clear my debts & build a hay barn. more later as i am at work :laughing: