Just to make you jealous

Still over a week of winter to go and we’re enjoying 30⁰C, daytime temperatures. Unfortunately overnights are still sub 20⁰.

We’re still supposed to be in Summer here, Today in Lancashire is grey skies, light rain with a high of 16C, Mind you it’s a bank holiday weekend so no surprise there. Bloody pants weather for ripening the tomatoes & bell peppers in my greenhouses. :unamused:

16c and peeing down in gosport

If the sun comes out here today it will get washed away by the rain :cloud_with_rain:

I don’t think “enjoying” is the word I’d employ. Portentous might fit.

@star_down_under I would like your winter heating bills.

I am unsure about the bills for aircon in the summer.
But I guess a few solar panels would sort that out?

Living the dream, the temperature isn’t an issue, but high humidity knocks me around.
When I worked in the Pilbara, around Marble Bar and further east, it would often be 50⁰ with barely any humidity. Pleasantly tolerable, but back in Port Hedland 28⁰ with 90% humidity would make me a prisoner of the air con.

It’s currently 16⁰ at 19.00 hrs., the heater is going full bore. Some days it hasn’t been turned off. I have acres of solar panels, no electric bills here.

My point being that consistent days of 12-14C in August where I live is neither normal or a good sign of things to come. If I extend that to coastal regions, you’d better make damn sure you’ve got a/c and the power to back it up.

I’m not coastal, but I imagine it would be foreign for the blokes in the UK to experience the great difference between maximum and minimum temperatures, away from the coast here. I’ve slept in Hughenden and woken before sunrise, freezing because the engine was no longer giving of heat. The ambient temperature was -4⁰ but during the day it reached high 30s.
I was in Toowoomba one bleak and cold winter morning, working with a Scottish mate, when he said “The sky’s close today.” It was an expression I’d never previously heard, but described the damp, misty atmosphere to a tee.
I asked how he coped with it in Scotland, to which he replied “Easy, we dress for it in the morning and stay dressed for it all day. Not like here, where you have to rug up in the morning and remove layers regularly until lunch time, then do it all in reverse after lunch.” :rofl:
Maybe his observations were slightly exaggerated, but they had a basis in truth.

I can’t speak for all us Poms who moved out here, but I like distinct seasons where winter means -5C for days on the trot and when all that clears, we get these glorious, crystal clear blue skies. Scottish weather we get here too - wet, windy, grey and chuffing cold - I don’t thrive on it but I bear it willingly. You can stick your increasingly sweaty over-priced over-populated coastal towns up your superannuation - I never thought anywhere near Nowra would command $1m, but I was wrong.

I’d be happy with late spring all year round. Temperature range within a couple of degrees either side of thirty and low humidity.

That sounds good to me too.
Or an Indian summer. The September days (Northern hemisphere) when the days are warm and sunny, but the evenings cool off enough that one can snuggle under the duvet, after a evening when you can eat outside but maybe wearing a jersey.

I’m not jealous, I detest working in heat and getting a brown right arm. I can sweat in a T-shirt in January in my job.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the cold, provided it doesn’t go below 20⁰.
It’s got to be a pretty formal affair or mandated PPE to get me out of shorts and shirt sleeves.

Weather still sh*t in Cornwall, but the Emmets keep coming

Quite jealous. Enjoy it :+1:

1 Like

Here in SW France we have had one short but heavy shower of rain since May. My bottom pond in the garden isn’t even a marsh anymore, it is dry. The top pond in the forest where I swim daily throughout the year is only 3 inches below the high mark, protected from evaporation by the surrounding and overhanging trees.

I have had much to do recently shifting trailers and caravans around the restricted garden for the hedgeman’s space to do his work, but only work in the mornings before the sun rises over the eastern trees.

Looking out just now and the sky is entirely blue, very pretty, but we need some rain.

Grey skies 17C & drizzling here this morning, Missus had the central hearting on last night, it’s still bloody August :scream: