Jobs

tartanraider:
i should have pointed out it’s not just the Mail it’s pretty much across the board at the print sites in London and all the wholesalers too…used to be GOOD jobs

fair play, theyre ALL hypocrites then! :laughing:

Rob K:
I found a recent copy of Commercial Motor (8 Oct edition I think it was) in the wagon I’ve had this week and was having a read through it. I saw on the letter’s page about a company from either Derbyshire or the Midland’s area moaning that there weren’t any decent driver’s about anymore and was pleading for a class 1 man to come and work for him. He claimed to be offering excellent money (iirc) and then quoted the money on offer underneath - £6.50/hr :exclamation: . Er, can someone point out where this guy’s problems are stemming from please or did Commercial Motor miss the ‘1’ off the start of the figure? :unamused: :unamused:

If I still had the mag and article I would definitely reply to it.

they printed my reply to it last week (27th Oct) :smiling_imp:

jammymutt:

Mal:
I heard a rumour that Bowmur, where jobs were allways available, has now got a waiting list! If that rumour is true, I know why, they have a lot of Poles driving for them, and they clearly love the job and are there to stay! I wonder just how much work would be about if there were no East European drivers available? I have a feeling we have seen the beginning of the end of any driver shortage there might have been!

Do you think the sad people on here and in other places who have welcomed them with open arms would like a rethink or are they quite happy to see a U.K. driver out of work to an Eastern European driver?.

The only time it is really going to be protested against is when the owner drivers from Poland come over for weeks at a time and put our O.D,s against the wall…

My theory on the polish/eastern european drivers coming over here is quite simple. Yeah it’s cheaper to employ them but there costs increase mainly due to their inability to driver on our road system. In the next 6-18 months i would hazard a guess that these larger companies will start to feel the effect when premiums shoot through the roof. Beginning of the year i witnessed the kind of driving by an eastern european agency driver, and i watched in amazement at the damage he caused. I’m not saying that they are bad people just need to find a job driving in there own country.

:unamused:

any body fancy a clas 1 job running out of Hull?

LocationHULL,EAST YORKSHIRE. HoursMONDAY-FRIDAY,8AM-6PM,40 HOURS PER WEEK Wage£5.25 PER HOUR EmployerTaylor Hughes LtdDurationPERMANENT

DescriptionPrevious experience of this type of work essential,will be delivering door parts to customers some lifting up to 25 kgs involved.Nights out paid by company.

How to applyYou can apply for this job by telephoning 01482 314961 and asking for James Page.

Come on then can anybody beat this for the lowest rate of pay!

geordievin:
DescriptionPrevious experience of this type of work essential

Is this the type of job the ‘invaluable experience’ people keep talking about on this site gets you :angry:

mrpj:

geordievin:

Is this the type of job the ‘invaluable experience’ people keep talking about on this site gets you :angry:

No…you take this job to get the experience in the first place…then you can start getting picky. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, I know they say no newbies, but that’s standard. Turn up with a licence and you’ll probably get the work. :wink:

Lucy:

mrpj:

geordievin:

No…you take this job to get the experience in the first place…then you can start getting picky. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, I know they say no newbies, but that’s standard. Turn up with a licence and you’ll probably get the work. :wink:

Thats the way it goes Luce, plain and simple, to my knowledge it’s the same in any job, you start at the bottom.

Lucy:

That’s fair enough :slight_smile:

Lucy:

So why dont they just say new drivers welcome to gain experiance?, Why beat about the bush they would get far more slaves turning up for that kind of money if they were honest.

P.S. McDonalds are paying £5.05 for starters so why bother having to carry 25kg weights when you can “flip burgers” for that kind of money.

Im working for Sainsbury’s in Sunny Scotland £9.82 between 6am and 6pm then £11.45 between 6pm and 6am, after 50 hours(and I know thats a fair bit!) we go up to £12ph. I think we are on a good rate what do the rest of you think?

Our local rag had Zero driving jobs this week, first time I’ve ever known

Well tonight in the Express & Star, which is way the best local papaer for jobs round here, there are 23 jobs total, 14 adverts are for agencies so 19 jobs. Ive seen an entire page not so long back, and this is a busy time of year! It’s looking like this is the norm now, Ive been watching it about 6 weeks and Im wondering when or if it will go back to 12-18 months ago levels!

I’ve just moved down to south London (Croydon) 2 weeks ago from sunny Manchester. Expected to be in work down here within a few days. Registerd with blue arrow few days ago but no work so far. Anyone know of where the big companies are down here that use rigids who i can send CV off to? Looking for anything except bin waggons, skip work or anything that involves driving down tight London side streets, cul -de-sacs ect :open_mouth:

I have also noticed there certainly aren’t the same numbers of driver ads about for the pre xmas rush this year.
For sure its because many jobs have been filled by Eastern Europeans.
Can’t blame the guys themselves, lets face it, if the rates were a lot higher over there, there’d be plenty of us on here prepared to over & give it a shot.

Used to be quite a few UK drivers (guys & girls!) used to work in Holland. Not sure if its still the case. If Danneke reads this thread, maybe she can enlighten us?

Jaycool007:
I’ve just moved down to south London (Croydon) 2 weeks ago from sunny Manchester. Expected to be in work down here within a few days. Registerd with blue arrow few days ago but no work so far. Anyone know of where the big companies are down here that use rigids who i can send CV off to? Looking for anything except bin waggons, skip work or anything that involves driving down tight London side streets, cul -de-sacs ect :open_mouth:

should be plenty of work down purley way or beddington lane where superdrug is.

I’ve just sent out CV to a few companies in Beddington farm DHL, TNT and Amtrak but probably will only have van work there. Went on Superdrug website and it says they dont employ there drivers. Do they use Exel?

saints Transport at Colnbrook is looking
Working 4on/4off or 3on/3off,12 hour/Shift,night/Day
also jobs by other Airports

Cheers Fred. Had a look on there website and will send off CV. Nice looking kit they have there