Jobs

mal, its the same where i live, used to be jobs all over the place, you try and get class 1 work here and there is none, i,m doing class 2 ro ro work, luv it less hassle definatley more dosh, i,m thinking ive driven my last heavy, unless summik really tasty jumps in my lap. seems to be the same all over the country. :wink:

Ive done a bit of the old ror bin work meself Terry! is it 6 or 8 legger? are you on waste? Theres a firm by us doing it, they were after blokes, it was aroud 4 a week, as u know, Im still off the road yet tho!

8 legger mal m8, scanny 340, aye its waste. to be honest i,m enjoying the work, nice change. 5/6 jobs a day, easy lifeā€¦ :laughing:

good stuff Tez, is it big hook? Mine was a Leyland Constructer with the rope lifting gear, I bet youve even got an easysheet? The worst thing about the job when I did it was netting the 40 yd bins up, then the net got stuck on the tip and climbing up the bloody thing in the wind and rain and it was pretty high up! :laughing:

yip m8 big hook, easy sheet aswell. it was knackered last week and i had to slum it for two days, what a pain in the arse it is with them 40 yd bins with your full sheet, oh m8 a nightmare.hahahahah. it even has a camera mal for reversing, tho it wasnt working tother day when i reversed into an empty bin in the yard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds like a good number Tez, you have all the toys M8!

Mal:
I heard a rumour that Bowmur, where jobs were allways available, has now got a waiting list! If that rumour is true, I know why, they have a lot of Poles driving for them, and they clearly love the job and are there to stay! I wonder just how much work would be about if there were no East European drivers available? I have a feeling we have seen the beginning of the end of any driver shortage there might have been!

Do you think the sad people on here and in other places who have welcomed them with open arms would like a rethink or are they quite happy to see a U.K. driver out of work to an Eastern European driver?.

The only time it is really going to be protested against is when the owner drivers from Poland come over for weeks at a time and put our O.D,s against the wallā€¦

Yes I do think so, anyone that thinks there wont be a price to pay for foriegn drivers coming over here needs a big-time rethink! Ive said it from day 1, at the end of the day it will do the british driver no favours whatsoever! I believe Turkey is in the pipeline for EU membership too, theyā€™ll have a bod or two willing to pop over Im sure!

Like I say, IF the rumour is true, and jobs start do drying up as the foriegn drivers flow in, there will be a big change a coming. Anyone driving in the early 80ā€™s when jobs were thin on the ground aught to remember hearing the phrase " if you dont like it, theres the gate" I know I heard it a lot, especially when telling gaffers ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  over breaking the law!

In 1987 The Daily Mail opened up a new print centre at Surrey Quays in S.E.London. Then all the loaders/FLT drivers were from N.I. or Londoners.Iā€™ve been going in there again recently and what a change.All East Europeans or Africans. And I donā€™t buy all that ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  about canā€™t get staff,they just want them at the cheapest rate possible,so next time you pick up your Daily Mail and their banging on about illegal immigrants etc. maybe you should write in and ask if they have their own house in orderā€¦

tartanraider:
In 1987 The Daily Mail opened up a new print centre at Surrey Quays in S.E.London. Then all the loaders/FLT drivers were from N.I. or Londoners.Iā€™ve been going in there again recently and what a change.All East Europeans or Africans. And I donā€™t buy all that [zb] about canā€™t get staff,they just want them at the cheapest rate possible,so next time you pick up your Daily Mail and their banging on about illegal immigrants etc. maybe you should write in and ask if they have their own house in orderā€¦

Being a frequent visitor there myself and also to The Convoyā€™s, I know exactly what you mean, although in fairness, the ones I spoke to could speak excellent English albeit with East European/Nigerian/Caribbean accentā€™s :laughing: .

Iā€™m usually there on a Saturday morning Tartain, loading FMOS. Who do you drive for? Iā€™ll keep an eye peeled.

ohterry:
it even has a camera mal for reversing, tho it wasnt working tother day when/after? i reversed into an empty bin in the yard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Substitute the correct word. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

Salut, David.

Iā€™m usually there on a Saturday morning Tartain, loading FMOS. Who do you drive for? Iā€™ll keep an eye peeled.

Iā€™m in there Friday night Rob usually pulling out anywhere from midnight on a good night to half past one doing the Mail. Iā€™m working for a one wagon fleet look out for a metalliic maroon Gobstopper on a private plate.Who you on for?
If I see you we can sort out once and for all whoā€™s the tightest when it comes to buying a cuppa,Jocks or Tykes(can see us both dying of thirst !) :wink:

tartanraider:

Iā€™m in there Friday night Rob usually pulling out anywhere from midnight on a good night to half past one doing the Mail. Iā€™m working for a one wagon fleet look out for a metalliic maroon Gobstopper on a private plate.Who you on for?
If I see you we can sort out once and for all whoā€™s the tightest when it comes to buying a cuppa,Jocks or Tykes(can see us both dying of thirst !) :wink:

Beddies. I was in there Friday night about 1930ish iirc, then went down to The Convoyā€™s for the night. Didnā€™t see you about although I wasnā€™t really looking.

Any way of picking you out from the rest?

tartanraider:
Any way of picking you out from the rest?

Sadly no. Iā€™m not forced to be there as Iā€™m through an agency for them. I could be driving any of the motors although itā€™s usually a Volvo.

Well you know what I look like usually pull in solo and pick up a trailer there around 2300 give us a shout if you see me and weā€™ll have a char,time permitting :wink:

Spardo:

ohterry:
it even has a camera mal for reversing, tho it wasnt working tother day when/after? i reversed into an empty bin in the yard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Substitute the correct word. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

Salut, David.

why, thank you kind sir.
note to self, must improve ones grammer

tartanraider:
In 1987 The Daily Mail opened up a new print centre at Surrey Quays in S.E.London. Then all the loaders/FLT drivers were from N.I. or Londoners.Iā€™ve been going in there again recently and what a change.All East Europeans or Africans. And I donā€™t buy all that [zb] about canā€™t get staff,they just want them at the cheapest rate possible,so next time you pick up your Daily Mail and their banging on about illegal immigrants etc. maybe you should write in and ask if they have their own house in orderā€¦

well said

tartanraider:

Good point Tartan, so whatā€™s the Mail really about I wonder? I dont read any rags apart from the locals, but I know the Mail bangs on as you say, it seems thyre just old fashioned hypocrites!

i should have pointed out itā€™s not just the Mail itā€™s pretty much across the board at the print sites in London and all the wholesalers tooā€¦used to be GOOD jobs